Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

In a state of shock!......"this happens often and we are frustrated at the sales team level"

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
No sorry. Cannot do it "exactly" because numbers and stories kept changing. We stayed TWO hours past closing as phone calls were made to "pricing team" - seemed like many. So..... I trusted Tesla through the confusion and repeated questions over and over with the main question being "how much cash do you want in the morning --- total total. (finance or cash) Customer Advocate/Adviser (salesperson?) even made a big deal about 1. You will get a great deal because there is big emphasis to sell these cars AND 2. "let's shake hands on this deal and congratulations on your new Tesla" Very nice young man that REALLY wanted to follow a process of continued calls (and emails/faxes?) to the "pricing team". (an hour before closing going on to just short of two hours AFTER closing! ) I have bought so many NEW cars in my 67 years that it really was starting to be reminiscent of what I had gone though in the past with the traditional sales person, and sometimes even a sales manager saying "I have to run these numbers by the boss!" However it was a world of difference from my first Tesla purchase which was also a demo - beautiful car. Per your question - no, eventually it had nothing to do with the trade in. That part is easy to set aside even though they early on apologized after giving me a "good news" trade in value only to cancel that out,and take less for the trade in - ok, no one likes to hear changes like that but I listened and agreed to their rational. (their words - everything over many hours sounded more and more like traditional "dealer" tactics 1.many trips to verify numbers by calling "the pricing team" -wherever they are; changing stories; and the next day when it was a big mess it went IMMEDIATELY to "will you buy this car?" "Will you buy that car?" while I was still in shock. We love Tesla and the brain has problems processing such a situation. Again..... a reminder of the "traditional" tactics. The "adviser" explained a number of times that mistakes were made by "the pricing team"; explained it is happening a LOT; and he would be happy if I escalated and got some action which would improve this ongoing problem (I have this in a recording AND there was veracity in this young man's narrative - I believe him). THEN.... the manager of the "store" called me and violated everything in my experience a manager should do to "de-escalate" a situation -combative - escalating instead of deescalating - suddenly blaming one lower level employee that I had witnessed doing everything he was supposed to do many times over - for hours and hours that night with the "pricing team" (I will do my best to cover this issue of being combative with a customer with Elon and district executives as a "training opportunity" for this manager and any other managers possibly if Tesla is overtaxed to the point of adopting new stress tactics.) I really dislike managers who choose to pick a patsy (when I asked the adviser what the manager had said originally - he told me the manager was on the phone getting advice on how to handle this - turned out to be find a single scapegoat and certainly not the "official" pricing team (adviser called them and our numbers "official"). The Bellevue manager then tried numerous times to blame the adviser. He did everything he could to get me in an argument to the point I had to ask him to stop it, and just give me what I had originally asked for that prompted his call - the escalation information...he still was a bit belligerent that escalation was futile (not even knowing what I might want to accomplish - but making assumptions). To his credit he did supply me with the two higher level management/executive contact info. And I have contacted Elon. Understanding he is a visionary tremendously busy with possibly little time for my recommendations.....even though he has helped me before on my first buy.

I had a roofing company once cut prices and said he would take away the commission from the initial sales guy who first "landed me" in order to get my business. I refused to do business with them and found another reputable local roofer who was $5k cheaper for the same roofing system. Perhaps the first company with its higher levels of executives, tv advertising and kiosk sales model needed a whole lot more income to support all that mess. The sales manager said so - they had a lot of overhead to pay for. As Tesla grows, more money is needed to support the sales/service centers, more superchargers, more HQ staff, blending of SCTY employees, etc. So I wonder if the OP is showing signs of this happening at his local level. Growth is not always efficient. We have already seen loss of "free fuel for life" along with free ranger service (couple years ago) and other small cuts along the way.

This is not a court to litigate this here and I absolutely do NOT take orders or demands. This situation is in escalation and it looks promising so I HAVE learned not spray out exact details and kill negotiations to side interested parties as if this was the "People's Court". Ridiculous. The post started out as a VENT and nothing more. Ignore it if it drives you to know all that went on. I am not looking for a bunch of people to storm Tesla in my behalf or to have YOU represent me legally as your interrogatory appears. I HAVE NOT DUCKED THE QUESTION OF THE DEPOSIT ....READ PLEASE OTHER POSTS. I did make a deposit. It hit my charge card. I have said repeatedly the trade in offer is NOT in any way part of the contention, so NO, I will not answer any part of THAT interrogation. . Geeze. The price of the car as I stated before went up $15,000....no I will not post a copy of the deal. Again silly. Sorry if this upsets you in your search for knowledge but it does not help by the snarky "you are ducking questions". This is not a deposition! I answer questions that are appropriate and that will not jeopardize my case either in escalation/mediation or in a breach of contract suit. I know the law. I will however, post the general outcome probably soon. It will be general....as I KNOW Tesla does not want recordings or our current discussions plastered all over the place. It will be either 1. I walk away and still love my Tesla saving money for the future P200d? with "space warp" speed mode even faster than ludicrous - you know...vent and go on with my life OR 2. I will post if Tesla honors the deposit and the deal (again NEVER being slammed into "you better answer my questions 1,2,3,4 and with x number of characters" I am NOT asking for anything from you. Move on.
Ok. You can take that position, but just expect that without complete information (or just basic, like did you sign a MVPA), many people will treat your post with skepticism. We had a long history in this forum of people with low post counts making stuff up and then getting caught when the details are examined. Not saying you are one of those, but just happen to match the profile.

Honestly, it took forever for Mobster to write that "deposit was paid". And then nothing about a MVPA or anything...

This should be quite open and shut, but instead of answering the "1-6 questions" that are straight forward, Mobster writes real long tirades and meandering thoughts. Still smells funny to me. Why can't the facts just be presented in numerical form without any window dressing?

Reply: Yes first post in a while. I read the posts. You know....listen more than talk! I did not have anything significant to add to the wisdom I was getting from this forum. It is great. Yes it was a "vent". I was sad and amazed....caught off guard. The first response for the escalation "tree" was "Don't know...someone new," I did eventually get it from the "showroom manager" who first wanted to argue endlessly, interrupt me, throw his front line person under the bus (I hate when management does that - not necessary or appropriate behavior. In fact, the whole telephone conversation with that manager was an example of how NOT to talk to a customer.....very confrontational and I had to ask him several times to stop as I only wanted escalation information which, to his credit, he eventually gave me. I have contacted them. and yes "Mobster" is a joke. Yes, to answer your question I am a Registered Legislative Lobbyist - registered with the people who oversee our activities - Public Disclosure Commission in my state. Specializing in consumer issues/legislation. As many retired people, I also keep busy with other ventures - investing, Consulting on Business as well as Political processes...and other stuff. The Elon email....was a bit of a joke. We will see if escalation is fruitful. Without going into details right now....as of last night it was looking promising. We will see.

Fair. Was a bit confused about you asking for his info on a forum. There are many other ways to get in contact with/the contact info of a specific person if you have a good reason. :confused:

I strongly encourage you to post when the problem is resolved, which I'm confident it will be, no matter the outcome. It would speak well to your intentions and would be fair to Tesla if you post something like "problem solved", "great communication once I got in contact with the right people", even if you don't get the desired outcome. I'm confident Tesla will do everything possible to produce a fair outcome, even if it's not exactly the outcome you'd like.

Disclaimer: I don't work for Tesla. However, I have never seen someone with a legitimate problem and good intentions get "taken for a ride" by Tesla. From what I've seen, Tesla will do everything possible to make its customers happy and to amicably resolve any legitimate problems with good intentioned parties.:)

Reactions: CSFTN
Ok. You can take that position, but just expect that without complete information (or just basic, like did you sign a MVPA), many people will treat your post with skepticism. We had a long history in this forum of people with low post counts making stuff up and then getting caught when the details are examined. Not saying you are one of those, but just happen to match the profile.
T The showroom manager used every bit of language he could bluster up to escalate the situation, pull me into arguing, insulting me (all caught on audio)....and he threw the "salesman" under the bus on the phone and in writing when the problem was with "the pricing team" - I learn more during escalation. I hate it when management throws front line people (he used the words blame, fault) under the bus while ripping into a customer. Just an opinion. 2. Slowly getting encouraging discussion from higher level executives. I don't know what I could get "caught" at. I understand I could be *a crackpot or *wrong by some standards and will move on (again still loving my 2013 Tesla and the overall company) OR *escalation will (now moving slowly...but moving) will be clean and simple with the deal they still have deposit on going through. One thing I learned that most of you probably know (that is why I don't post much I learn more than I can pass on...so I read normally...not post)....anyway when everything went sideways they said the deposit would go into refund status that night (even though it takes a few days to go through I see it normally in pending status).That refund did not happen. so.... They still have the deposit and management has said the process is that "district management" must be briefed on why a refund is requested (reasons kept track of apparently). Even though we are going from hours to days .... the deposit has (apparently) been held at that level and we are in some kind of escalation. That could be good news combined with some limited communication I am getting from the executive level. it seems like a long time to resolve. Even if they tell me they will not honor the deal. Ok go on with my life.
Fair. Was a bit confused about you asking for his info on a forum. There are many other ways to get in contact with/the contact info of a specific person if you have a good reason. :confused:

I strongly encourage you to post when the problem is resolved, which I'm confident it will be, no matter the outcome. It would speak well to your intentions and would be fair to Tesla if you post something like "problem solved", "great communication once I got in contact with the right people", even if you don't get the desired outcome. I'm confident Tesla will do everything possible to produce a fair outcome, even if it's not exactly the outcome you'd like.

Disclaimer: I don't work for Tesla. However, I have never seen someone with a legitimate problem and good intentions get "taken for a ride" by Tesla. From what I've seen, Tesla will do everything possible to make its customers happy and to amicably resolve any legitimate problems with good intentioned parties.:)

It sounds like based on the OP's responses:

1. He did not sign the MVPA and therefore had not purchased the vehicle. Although he had a written quote, if his deposit was not applied to that specific vehicle then it could have been sold to anyone else who got to it first and the price was subject to change.
  2. OP has destroyed the enter key on his keyboard.

T The showroom manager used every bit of language he could bluster up to escalate the situation, pull me into arguing, insulting me (all caught on audio)....and he threw the "salesman" under the bus on the phone and in writing when the problem was with "the pricing team" - I learn more during escalation. I hate it when management throws front line people (he used the words blame, fault) under the bus while ripping into a customer. Just an opinion. 2. Slowly getting encouraging discussion from higher level executives. I don't know what I could get "caught" at. I understand I could be *a crackpot or *wrong by some standards and will move on (again still loving my 2013 Tesla and the overall company) OR *escalation will (now moving slowly...but moving) will be clean and simple with the deal they still have deposit on going through. One thing I learned that most of you probably know (that is why I don't post much I learn more than I can pass on...so I read normally...not post)....anyway when everything went sideways they said the deposit would go into refund status that night (even though it takes a few days to go through I see it normally in pending status).That refund did not happen. so.... They still have the deposit and management has said the process is that "district management" must be briefed on why a refund is requested (reasons kept track of apparently). Even though we are going from hours to days .... the deposit has (apparently) been held at that level and we are in some kind of escalation. That could be good news combined with some limited communication I am getting from the executive level. it seems like a long time to resolve. Even if they tell me they will not honor the deal. Ok go on with my life.
It sounds like based on the OP's responses:

1. He did not sign the MVPA and therefore had not purchased the vehicle. Although he had a written quote, if his deposit was not applied to that specific vehicle then it could have been sold to anyone else who got to it first and the price was subject to change.
  2. OP has destroyed the enter key on his keyboard.

So is the tl;dr version of this thread of what should happen?

- get quote written down on a piece of Tesla paper, with the VINs written on it
- get a bottom line dollar written down on the quote
- exchange a $1 to make it binding, shake hands, get a receipt for the $1
- walk out, gather your funds
- walk back in next day with a cheque in hand
- ask for the key..
- complete any remaining paperwork
- drive away

So is the tl;dr version of this thread of what should happen?

- get quote written down on a piece of Tesla paper, with the VINs written on it
- get a bottom line dollar written down on the quote
- exchange a $1 to make it binding, shake hands, get a receipt for the $1
- walk out, gather your funds
- walk back in next day with a cheque in hand
- ask for the key..
- complete any remaining paperwork
- drive away

That's right, except the deposit was not $1.00 but $2,500.00 (which OP says hit his account the next morning) and then when the OP "- walk back in next day with a cheque in hand" they said - sorry, need $15,000 more

An extra $15k discount has 'too good to be true' written all over the deal.

If this was my deal I might ... might ... keep mum and see if the error was catched, but I would not put up a fuss if the poor sales guy came back with an apology and the correct price.

And if I thought the sales guy made the error and was going to catch hell or be fired for the mistake, there is no way I would let it pass.

Last edited:
  • Helpful
Reactions: brianman
Agreed. I'm not even trying to read his posts -- just the readable posts around it.

Tip for all posters: If your paragraphs are more than 5 lines on my wide screen, I'm not reading your post.
Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, te mea modus soleat vivendum. Dicat atomorum duo in, est accusam adolescens incorrupte ei. Nibh viris vituperata an pri. Ut vim ancillae necessitatibus, mei ut nonumy perpetua adversarium, aeterno maiestatis in nec. Mel cu mundi imperdiet. Qui at deserunt sapientem, pri phaedrum hendrerit deseruisse ad. At mei posse congue deleniti, vel ex tantas fastidii omittantur. Ut pri saperet honestatis concludaturque, tale dicit putent cu usu, lorem scaevola eum ne. Eos vidit qualisque ea, pri zril sententiae te. Ut eirmod nusquam est, nostrud veritus disputationi duo an, ex veniam partiendo eum. In debet veritus moderatius sea, facilisis appellantur ad nam. Ea diam porro dissentias qui, cibo decore audire per no. Esse facilisi eos id. Quo ut nihil repudiandae. Pro delenit quaestio vituperatoribus et, meliore dolores electram ut eum, discere dolores definitionem duo ea. Feugait voluptaria efficiantur per ne, est alterum salutandi eu, no mel detraxit conceptam. Qui id simul suscipit, no mea quem referrentur. Case alienum eu eos. Quo no vide detraxit, erat quidam dicunt ut vel. Ad vidit reque aeterno eos, iusto soleat copiosae eos ea, cum ne recusabo oportere. No sonet omnesque patrioque sea, has cu mollis delectus. Cum id modo rebum. No quo stet choro argumentum, nulla definiebas est cu, id veritus detraxit deserunt per. His an posse omnes deterruisset, no quo habemus delicatissimi. Vix at mundi iudico, postea concludaturque qui at. Latine sanctus duo ne, eros constituto ea mel. Ius facilisi electram eu, omnium commune et vel, mel ex alia modus torquatos. Omnis philosophia ei quo, ea quod audiam sadipscing vel. Ea has timeam graecis vulputate, dicat tractatos temporibus vim an. Ad mei ludus blandit. In vim nonumes oportere delicatissimi. Sed populo petentium cu, eligendi pertinax invenire eum id, utroque fierent disputationi ut vel. Dolore comprehensam vel no, integre petentium ea his. Te posse consul dolores has, nec ut nibh altera scripserit. Et falli docendi voluptua ius, mea in scripta ornatus definitionem. An consul urbanitas nam. Ad utamur electram complectitur vix, quem propriae theophrastus an pri. Elit labores tractatos vis id. Dolor numquam reprehendunt sed ut, sit zril tantas gloriatur ex. Ad vis omnis denique persequeris. Alii constituam cu has. Impetus laoreet te nec, nullam suscipit duo te. Vix aliquip dissentiet id. Ferri novum deterruisset duo an. Purto aliquip numquam te eam, mutat putant pri an, eum reque impedit blandit eu. Semper virtute ceteros eos id, ea pro rebum pertinacia. Cum velit partiendo ut. Eam ex ferri saepe congue. In legere voluptua salutatus mea, suscipit principes rationibus id sed. Ancillae vulputate scriptorem ut duo. Homero laoreet nusquam eos ex. Nam ne esse mediocritatem, duo vidit mutat choro in, ex dictas voluptua adipiscing per. Vel ut meis aliquam, copiosae fabellas eam ut. Atqui voluptua indoctum vix ad. Esse natum ne pri, ne vitae accommodare sed.

Now that he stopped reading, let's talk about brianman here. ;)

We bought a discounted fully loaded inventory 2016 P85D in July 2015 from a printed Tesla price sheet by transferring the $5,000 deposit we already had at Tesla to this inventory P85D. It took a couple of days for Tesla to generate the MVPA (Motor Vehicle Purchase Agreement) which included all the fees (title, registration, delivery, etc.) and sales tax. The only discrepancy in the MVPA was the original Tesla printed price sheet showed our P85D including a High Power Wall Charger and the MVPA did not. Several phone calls later our Sales Associate came up with an "open box" Tesla HPWC which was a great compromise. Tesla's recommended electrician installed the HPWC and the cable & plug overheated badly when charging at 80A / 240V. Tesla sent a Ranger the next day and installed a new HPWC cable. Problem solved... and its been working flawlessly ever since.

Tesla was AWESOME... and we were fair in working out a solution. Hopefully the original poster can do the same.

I answer questions that are appropriate and that will not jeopardize my case either in escalation/mediation or in a breach of contract suit. I know the law.

It doesn't sound like you have any idea of the law or you wouldn't have made the first post, let alone the rest, regardless of the appropriateness of the content if escalation, mediation or litigation was even a remote possibility.

That writing style. I seem to lose track of what Is being said.

Lose track? I can barely get on the track in the first place.

Outcome as I promised:

1. Three (approx) days of escalation and discussion. When I posted that it looked promising - it was because mid Monday I received a simple email from a Tesla executive with an apology assuring me the deposit which was still being held would be applied to the original agreement - simply we have the original deal. I am posting a general account of the outcome as I had promised - I know the "sharks" who have posted here thousands of times (where do you find the time for 4000-7000 opinions posted?) may go crazy on me for some silliness or another but ok....if being snarky makes one feel superior I have done a service. To others that politely asked me to summarize the outcome - I owe that.

2. Monday and Tuesday were painful. Dozens of emails, texts, phone calls. Many new process problems. I will make a small apology for not giving the details but it was ugly at times. (You can "call BS" and insult me if you want and I hope you just move on to something else here that you feel is worth your time. I not only KNOW the law but in my state I am able to practice segments of the law if connected to consumer issues Registered Legislative Lobbyists get embroiled in.)

3. Outcome: I have the car tonight per our original deal. Lots of working through a number of NEW Tesla processes that many of the fine folks at Tesla were frustrated with in numerous "departments"... but, as often in business, the bugs will be worked out.

4. As I said before one of two things would be communicated - *I would not get the car but I would still love the Tesla I have and still look at the big picture which demands love for the Tesla Company. OR *I get the car at the price and delivery originally agreed upon after escalation and STILL love Tesla. This company has earned our love over the years even as I read other posts where people have problems that may disappoint or even anger them. This and other Tesla forums/Facebook have much to see.

There were a few bumps during delivery (tonight) but as usual I witnessed incredible people working to do everything to make the experience fantastic. They were great.

I know others here may be upset there are not more details OR that I wrote too much OR something else that irritated them. However there were enough polite people who asked me to just finish this with "did the sale go through or not" .....I say yes....as originally agreed upon with deposit accepted. I have many notes and observations about "changes" at Tesla and "new processes" (it was not anything like the first Tesla I bought), but for now I will only share one: The huge new facility where I took delivery had only one person to handle deliveries. He was constantly on the run. Literally running. He is looking forward to getting some help. But not complaining - he demonstrated he could do amazing things. I will make sure top management knows about this hero and others. Tesla may be understaffed there and other facilities I have visited...particularly when we realize the tremendous challenge ahead servicing the existing fleet, selling demos and "Certified Pre Owned", S,X, and 400,00 Model 3's! Hiring many new people, announcing new executives...it is huge. So I will stop here and just repeat.....The original deal went through...period....done, I have a fantastic new Model S P100D with everything I could wish for included. And as most or all of you I still love the Tesla company. Whether the deal failed or not I would love them .....they have earned it over the years.

Status
Not open for further replies.