Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Ioniq 5 vs Model Y

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Really???
729c180381153fd4c326d80827fb8709.jpg
Side profile, and that color is awesome... and of course, panel gaps are great, door handles are awesome, and fit and finish inside is superb. =P The back end does not look great, but side profile is superb. Mix of Citroen, Mercedes CLS, Porsche and of course Saab/Infiniti J30. lol.

Reactions: laservet
Is this supposed to sell me or are you agreeing it looks terrible??
lol. not trying to sell you, just saying I disagree. =)

Especially when you do not want a bloated whale. =P

but realistically, I care more about what it looks like inside as that is where I spend the time.

The Teslas do look good, but limited color options and every time I rent a model Y or 3... I get confused which one is mine in parking lots and superchargers. =)

the backend of the Ionique 6 is ugly though, I agree. lol.

Head room and cargo space they are similar to the Y. I’ve owned 3 different Ys since 2021. Honestly, I tell folks the Y, Mach-E, Ioniq 5 (all in upper trim form) are basically the same.
How did you find efficiencies compared between the MY, Mach-E and Ioniq 5 at highway speeds of, say, 75–85 mph? For our use of our MY for long journeys I find this is a critical factor. The way I passed two Ioniq 5s on the French autoroute did make me wonder why they were going so slow...

How did you find efficiencies compared between the MY, Mach-E and Ioniq 5 at highway speeds of, say, 75–85 mph? For our use of our MY for long journeys I find this is a critical factor. The way I passed two Ioniq 5s on the French autoroute did make me wonder why they were going so slow...
Here's an article... Not tooo bad

15 minutes slower than an AWD LR Y in the challenge but notes it gets worse at high speeds

Reactions: laservet and Shevek
Expect a huge rush of Chinese EVs to flood our market. They will sell at bargain prices, be good enough quality and heavily discounted. Start slow the steadily try to crush our domestic manufacturers. St the same time China will work to keep American manufacturers from succeeding in China. World domination of the auto market is their goal. Only Tesla seems to have the volume and pricing to profitably compete against them.

Their initial shortfall will be skimpy long distance recharging options, but they may gain access to Tesla Supercharger networks.

The two big major positives with the Ioniq 5 is the ride quality and quiet cabin.

Head room and cargo space they are similar to the Y. I’ve owned 3 different Ys since 2021. Honestly, I tell folks the Y, Mach-E, Ioniq 5 (all in upper trim form) are basically the same. Some have fast charging, some have better audio systems, some have better ride quality but none are perfect. You want better… move up to a BMW iX or Model X.

I haven't owned anything but the Y.. but having sampled many EVs (just did an overnight test drive a 2023 MYP w/FSD last weekend) I feel the same way. Tesla does have the best overall EV "experience" because of the Supercharger network and smartphone app.. but it also has a lot of real-world cons. One of those was immediately noticeable as I got back in my 2021 Model Y with 19" wheels and noticed how much STIFFER the ride was versus the 2023 MYP with 21" Ultraturbines and skinny tires. My 2021 Y is also noisy as hell.. so many times I think I have a window & door cracked and even stop to check it out.. nope it's just poorly insulated.

I truly believe at this point if you want a Tesla.. get a Tesla.. price makes buying a 3/Y very competitive with the $7,500 tax credit back on the menu. But if you are open to other options you will not be disappointed. There are pros & cons to all of these midsize-tier EVs and a lot of it is stuff you will not notice until you actually drive one. Next up for me is renting a Rivian R1S for a 3 days weekend around this time next month. The plan is to take my wife + kids + Dad to the beach for Father's Day and there is no way all of us can fit into my Y for the 4-5 hour drive. Have also considered renting a Model X Plaid (about $120 per day on Turo).. and while I would probably never consider buying an X (just too expensive for what it is) the big Rivian SUV is EXACTLY the form factor I want to drive daily.. regardless of powertrain or manufacturer. Also can't wait to test drive an iX & i4.. as everybody seems to rave about them.

Last edited:
Expect a huge rush of Chinese EVs to flood our market. They will sell at bargain prices, be good enough quality and heavily discounted. Start slow the steadily try to crush our domestic manufacturers. St the same time China will work to keep American manufacturers from succeeding in China. World domination of the auto market is their goal. Only Tesla seems to have the volume and pricing to profitably compete against them.

Their initial shortfall will be skimpy long distance recharging options, but they may gain access to Tesla Supercharger networks.
Tariffs will keep them out for a long time unless they build factories over here (or Mexico). They are considering factories in Europe because of shipping and more modest tariffs making them less competitive than you think, model for model. There is also protectionist rumbling in Europe now. In Chima with the exception of Tesla (treated very well), the American and European companies are hurting themselves with slow adoption of Chines saleable EVs. It's not necessarily in China's interest to go after those companies as they are all joint ventures with Chinese partners.

Tesla is doing fine even if wholly American owned. They are a key employer along with their suppliers in Shanghai and their cars are very popular with Chinese consumers.

I get confused which one is mine in parking lots
That's probably my 1st world problem too.

When I first got my Y, it was new and not many people had them... 2 years later... every other car is a white Y, especially where I live... it's outnumbering the Japanese brands that used to dominate but at least those all had different colors and styles. We even took off our aero covers to differentiate. :)

I think it's a good thing that the Y (and EVs in general) are dominating my city... but I prefer variety so I'll try this Ioniq 5 out for a while and see what is what in a year or two. I think my wife is going to take it from me because she does miss the pure EV driving but did not like the regen and ride of the Y (the Ioniq can be set to 0 regen).

I like the Ioniq 5 better... but that doesn't necessarily mean it's the better car... to each their own.

When I first got my Y, it was new and not many people had them... 2 years later... every other car is a white Y, especially where I live... it's outnumbering the Japanese brands that used to dominate but at least those all had different colors and styles. We even took off our aero covers to differentiate. :)
Yeah, I think that's to be expected with the price cuts and demand for EVs. My first year or so of owning the MYP, I didn't see many blue ones even though Model Y's are already fairly common in my area. Now, I see tons and tons of blue ones. Yesterday on my way home from work on my 4 mile commute, I saw 2 other blue MYPs. I guess the good thing with these cars being so common is that the aftermarket is pretty robust so you can easily differentiate if you wanted to. At least I haven't seen another blue MY with rear center brake light/turn signals, darkened taillights, and bronze Martian wheels yet. :cool:

Reactions: BigNerd

I think it's a good thing that the Y (and EVs in general) are dominating my city... but I prefer variety so I'll try this Ioniq 5 out for a while and see what is what in a year or two. I think my wife is going to take it from me because she does miss the pure EV driving but did not like the regen and ride of the Y (the Ioniq can be set to 0 regen).

I like the Ioniq 5 better... but that doesn't necessarily mean it's the better car... to each their own.
Variety is nice but so is having the support and common problems/ solutions/ 3rd party options that come with similar products that are out on the street

Reactions: BigNerd
Variety is nice but so is having the support and common problems/ solutions/ 3rd party options that come with similar products that are out on the street
Yep... this is the reason why Apple iPhones have the best 3rd party support.... they don't change form factors/styles for a few years and so many people have them it's created this huge after market.

I joined an Ioniq forum... not as popping as TMC but helpful... and Amazon has a decent amount of Ioniq accessories.... probably going to get inserts for the different storage areas, all-weather mats and maybe a wireless CarPlay adapter. :)