Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Ionity Charger Sites in UK [megathread]

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Ionity was paid for by a bunch of manufacturers much like the supercharger network was by Tesla.

So if instead of Ionity they had called them "VW/BMW/Merc" I think we might be a more charitable to the network. Some like to be critical of their pricing model but the reality is whatever they charge it is still better than being refused because you have the wrong make of car which is what Tesla do.

I did.....a few weeks back. The more people write the better. Particularly given the market failure (the Maingau eMSP model is now proven to be broken).

Thank you for your message.

INEA and the European Commission are closely following the implementation of the Action Europ-E, coordinated by Ionity.

The Ionity project benefits from a financial support from the CEF programme. This support is object of a Grant Agreement (GA) which provides for specific requirements, among those the obligation to ensure that the recharging network has a fully open access 24/7 and can supply all users having a subscription or occasional.

It is confirmed that the usage of Ionity network is not restricted to any user of car manufacturer part of the GA. If this would be the case, this would disqualify Ionity to receive EU public subsidies. It is therefore a point which is closely monitored by INEA.

Regarding the pricing introduced by Ionity in February 2020, a meeting among Ionity, the European Commission and INEA was held in March 2020.

Ionity explained that, besides the possibility for the EV drivers to pay ad hoc, they offer the same three packages to all Mobility Service Providers (MSPs): a high price kWh price fee for ‘rare users’, a medium kwH price for ‘medium users’ and a low kWh price for ‘heavy users’. These have to be considered as ‘starting prices’ and the MSPs should negotiate with Ionity to provide the best offers to their clients.

If you still believe that the beneficiary of the grant is contravening any EU competition rules you have of course the possibility to file a complaint with the competent national or European authorities.

Finally, please be reassured that we will continue monitoring this issue and ensuring that all EU citizens can continue benefitting of the EV networks co-funded by the EU.

Kind regards,

Secretariat Unit C3
[email protected]

5 people CC’d on this reply. Look like the EU have a watching brief. More than can be said for the CMA ([email protected])

We prioritise the cases that are most likely to make a real difference for people and the UK economy based on our available resources and the likelihood of a successful outcome.

Can I get an update on my enquiry?

We are unable to give you an update on your enquiry.

We find all enquiries useful to inform our current and future work. However, we offer no guarantee as to where or how your enquiry may be used.

We do publish details of our cases on our website. You can subscribe to email alertswhich will inform you when new information has been added.

Will the CMA investigate my enquiry?

We review all the enquiries that we receive. This helps us to understand:
  • whether different industries in the UK economy are competitive
  • if competition law is being broken
  • if shoppers or businesses are being disadvantaged.

Even if we don’t immediately investigate your enquiry, it may lead to us taking further action in the future.

Do I need to do anything else?

You do not need to do anything. If we need further information, we will contact you.

Thank you again for taking the time to contact us.

Yours sincerely

The UK Government appear uninterested that a German company in receipt of public funds / EU state aid is given a monopoly to rob the public blind.

DfT next on my list.

I did.....a few weeks back. The more people write the better. Particularly given the market failure (the Maingau eMSP model is now proven to be broken).

[email protected]

5 people CC’d on this reply. Look like the EU have a watching brief. More than can be said for the CMA ([email protected])

The UK Government appear uninterested that a German company in receipt of public funds / EU state aid is given a monopoly to rob the public blind.

DfT next on my list.
Farage would be all over that

It’s a tough one. The Tesla driver in me says hell no! The shareholder in me says no (damages USP).

...but I ask myself will every car I buy in the next 15 years be a Tesla? Maybe not if the quality doesn’t improve or others catch up.

I’d rather have open competition to keep prices fair and convenient access to chargers. What would you say if Tesla suddenly hiked to 50p/kWh for Tesla owners too? Currently nothing to stop them.

It’s a tough one. The Tesla driver in me says hell no! The shareholder in me says no (damages USP).

...but I ask myself will every car I buy in the next 15 years be a Tesla? Maybe not if the quality doesn’t improve or others catch up.

I’d rather have open competition to keep prices fair and convenient access to chargers. What would you say if Tesla suddenly hiked to 50p/kWh for Tesla owners too? Currently nothing to stop them.
A significant Tesla USP is the Supercharger network.
Open it up for all EVs and how many current (frustrated) Tesla drivers would then look at another brand?

It's keeping a lot of people loyal during the period where Tesla focus more on volume than quality or customer care.

Reactions: CMc1 and NewbieT

[email protected]

DfT next on my list.

Good on you for chasing this up!

They did. 20%

Ionity secures funding for EUROP-E charging network - electrive.com

If anyone wants to contact the EU committee to complain, here's the email.

[email protected]

And how much was that compared to how much they've bunged Musk for his factory in Germany, how much do Tesla get through emitions trading, how many cars has he sold with several grand of tax payers money subsidising them, etc? The point is still the same, its a manufacturers network with access to other makes

They'll be fine with the brands that invest in them, and if I was an owner of one of those cars, the last thing I'd want is some Tesla owner using the charger at the same cost rate if I needed to charge having not contributed at all to the deployment costs

Last edited: