Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki MASTER THREAD: Actual FSD Beta downloads and experiences

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Firstly, great writeup! Thanks @Tronguy

Secondly...

Carburetor??

May I recommend one of the many fine battery-powered lawn mowers... I grabbed a GreenWorks 60V self-propelled last year and haven't looked back...
Yeah, carburetor. I'm not one to throw working hardware out. The mower before this one was blowing signficant oil byproducts out the exhaust and was clearly in need of an overhaul, something I'm not quite set up to do (I've done old VW Beetles, they're not much different), but don't have a good way to turn the crankshaft and all.. nor the time, and bought a replacement four or five years ago, just before electrics moved off of, "It's a high priced curiosity" status. This particular one gets its oil changes on time and all, but some time last year the air filter body broke a piece of plastic, so the cover wouldn't stay on over the air filter. Duct tape fixed that, but I didn't like the solution.

Local shop could and did order a new air filter body. So, yesterday, hauled out the tool box, unbolted the air filter body.. and then discovered that not only did the air filter casing fall off, so did everything else, right up to the engine intake port. That included this minuscule little carb. Cute thing: Has the float tank on the bottom, jets, and all that. But had a devil of a time figuring out which of several gaskets sealing the carb to the engine, the carb to this plastic thing with controls for the throttle body intake, and the throttle body intake to the air filter body went where. Got it all back together again, crossed my fingers, and, after a couple of pulls, the engine started. Slightly odd, though: the engine kept on mildly speeding up and down on its own. Then happened to look on the garage floor and there, by gum, was another gasket. Stopped the mower, turned off the gas valve, disassembled it all, put the found gasket back where it belonged, reassembled everything, and, this time, it started on the first try and ran steady.

It's got a few more years to go. Changing oil and all on a good schedule makes these things last a looonnngg time.

Ugh... I must have missed the part where you can't turn off lane changes on the highway anymore?! Wow... that's insanity. WHY NOT?!
Well, one does get a couple options: When the car's getting set to change lanes, one can cancel the change by hitting the turn signal stalk. In addition, there's a per-drive option to minimize lane changes that reverts on the next drive.

Admittedly, even with both of those, that's like a spammer telling one one has to opt-out, rather than opt-in. Still better than nothing.

And.. maybe it's just me, but the few times I've been bouncing around on an interstate with 11.3.4, the car's auto lane changing hasn't particularly bothered me. Maybe I'll need some kind of traffic routing disaster to change my mind, but so far, so good. I realize that many people want particular kinds of control here; heck, on TACC/NAV/LK I never set the car up for auto lane changes, anyway, seemed like a risky proposition.

But with FSD-b I play Beta Tester, that being the point. So, it's on, and I'm testing. The report: Works pretty darned well. So far. We'll see.

The follow distance options are gone as well. The car decides how far you are behind the car ahead and when lane changes will be made otherwise you’re driving on your own.

Totally absurd.
That’s awful. I always set no auto lane changes and furthest follow distance, for comfort. Now both of these settings are gone? 🤦🏻‍♂️🤦🏻‍♂️🤦🏻‍♂️

It’s like Tesla is throwing the beta testers into the fire to get as much high-danger feedback as possible, knowing they won’t be on the hook because we agreed to it.

Yeah, carburetor. I'm not one to throw working hardware out. The mower before this one was blowing signficant oil byproducts out the exhaust and was clearly in need of an overhaul, something I'm not quite set up to do (I've done old VW Beetles, they're not much different), but don't have a good way to turn the crankshaft and all.. nor the time, and bought a replacement four or five years ago, just before electrics moved off of, "It's a high priced curiosity" status. This particular one gets its oil changes on time and all, but some time last year the air filter body broke a piece of plastic, so the cover wouldn't stay on over the air filter. Duct tape fixed that, but I didn't like the solution.

Local shop could and did order a new air filter body. So, yesterday, hauled out the tool box, unbolted the air filter body.. and then discovered that not only did the air filter casing fall off, so did everything else, right up to the engine intake port. That included this minuscule little carb. Cute thing: Has the float tank on the bottom, jets, and all that. But had a devil of a time figuring out which of several gaskets sealing the carb to the engine, the carb to this plastic thing with controls for the throttle body intake, and the throttle body intake to the air filter body went where. Got it all back together again, crossed my fingers, and, after a couple of pulls, the engine started. Slightly odd, though: the engine kept on mildly speeding up and down on its own. Then happened to look on the garage floor and there, by gum, was another gasket. Stopped the mower, turned off the gas valve, disassembled it all, put the found gasket back where it belonged, reassembled everything, and, this time, it started on the first try and ran steady.

It's got a few more years to go. Changing oil and all on a good schedule makes these things last a looonnngg time.
Whereas the one I sold to get the electric version had never had the oil changed in 15 years... occasionally topped off, but probably only a total of like 10-20% new oil added. Engine mecanicals were fine, it was carb as well...

Go figure.

So let's see here I filled with 1/2 gal of gas every 1-2 weeks, so that's 1.5 or so gals/month. At current gas prices that's $5/mo.... or $60 yr. Add maint (oil & filter) call it $75.

A new 21" mower with charger and battery is $400. I sold my old one for $75. Return on investment is just over 4yrs...

• Funny
Reactions: FSDtester#1
Well, one does get a couple options: When the car's getting set to change lanes, one can cancel the change by hitting the turn signal stalk. In addition, there's a per-drive option to minimize lane changes that reverts on the next drive.

Admittedly, even with both of those, that's like a spammer telling one one has to opt-out, rather than opt-in. Still better than nothing.

And.. maybe it's just me, but the few times I've been bouncing around on an interstate with 11.3.4, the car's auto lane changing hasn't particularly bothered me. Maybe I'll need some kind of traffic routing disaster to change my mind, but so far, so good. I realize that many people want particular kinds of control here; heck, on TACC/NAV/LK I never set the car up for auto lane changes, anyway, seemed like a risky proposition.

But with FSD-b I play Beta Tester, that being the point. So, it's on, and I'm testing. The report: Works pretty darned well. So far. We'll see.

My beef is that I can no longer separate the “beta tester” city part of my drives from my daily hour long slog to and from work on the freeway. You get all or nothing. FSDb v11 makes decisions much faster and with less warning than 10.69 did and I’m sure I looked like a lunatic this morning with the car darting left and right flashing alternating signals.

The irony is that FSDb v11 totally fixed the oscillating longitudinal brake/accel madness for me in slow and go traffic so it’s dramatically smoother (still not as good as a Bolt but I digress…). Lane changes are generally incredible. Lateral lane control, something Autopilot had always excelled at, is now wobbly and awful for whatever reason.

I need the ability to let Autopilot do its thing on the freeway and FSDb to work on city streets.

I was in a friend’s Bolt EUV this weekend and the wipers worked, the lights worked, the adaptive cruise control didn’t freak out or phantom brake, the radio software didn’t crash. On and on. I think it cost him $36k or something.
Lol, my Bolt (1st gen) had audio crashing all the time. My biggest bug was the Bolt splash screen would come up when I turn the car on, and then just sit there, frozen for 10 mins before rebooting. In the meantime, I can't do ANYTHING with audio or climate control. Sucks on a hot day when I can't turn on the AC for 10 minutes. In the 5 years I owned it, I had 1 OTA update and it didn't fix anything for me, including that crash.

That’s awful. I always set no auto lane changes and furthest follow distance, for comfort. Now both of these settings are gone? 🤦🏻‍♂️🤦🏻‍♂️🤦🏻‍♂️

It’s like Tesla is throwing the beta testers into the fire to get as much high-danger feedback as possible, knowing they won’t be on the hook because we agreed to it.
There is some confusion here. I follow what you are saying in that I would use similar settings on the highway. Chill is how they are incorporating both those. In v11, you can adjust them with a "AP" stock rotation dial (at least in my X).

sV1AmQ3.jpg

There is some confusion here. I follow what you are saying in that I would use similar settings on the highway. Chill is how they are incorporating both those. In v11, you can adjust them with a "AP" stock rotation dial (at least in my X).

sV1AmQ3.jpg

Yes you can change how the car behaves, sort of, but if you want close follow distance with no lane changes you’re SOL. Or long follow distance with aggressive lane changes. Or whatever, you get the idea.

There is no way to keep Autopilot from following screwy map data now, even with minimal lane changes and chill selected it will shoot off towards an exit if that’s where it thinks we’re going.

Sorry, I don't have the SW yet. What happens on the freeway if you choose the option to minimize lane changes? How is that different than the old (my cuurent) NAP on the freeway?

Plus you can still signal to change lanes on the Freeway. No?

You can still change lanes with the signal but you can no longer disable lane changes nor can you have the car ask for confirmation before it decides to change lanes on the freeway.

Lol, my Bolt (1st gen) had audio crashing all the time. My biggest bug was the Bolt splash screen would come up when I turn the car on, and then just sit there, frozen for 10 mins before rebooting. In the meantime, I can't do ANYTHING with audio or climate control. Sucks on a hot day when I can't turn on the AC for 10 minutes. In the 5 years I owned it, I had 1 OTA update and it didn't fix anything for me, including that crash.

This was a new EUV and they must have made improvements to the software or I was just lucky not to experience the bugs.

You can still change lanes with the signal but you can no longer disable lane changes nor can you have the car ask for confirmation before it decides to change lanes on the freeway.
I don't have V11 yet, but I think there are choicea in Settings - Autopilot. You can switch from FSD Beta to the middle option which is Autopilot (?), and get the old settings back for NoA.

Yes you can change how the car behaves, sort of, but if you want close follow distance with no lane changes you’re SOL. Or long follow distance with aggressive lane changes. Or whatever, you get the idea.

There is no way to keep Autopilot from following screwy map data now, even with minimal lane changes and chill selected it will shoot off towards an exit if that’s where it thinks we’re going.
I understand paragraph 1 but I was pointing out the clear misconception/misrepresentation that there was no way to control them. They incorporated the concepts in higher levels settings of chill, standard, and assertive and put it in the description. I fully understand you can separate them. They are thinking they need it simpler for the 'masses' vs too many 'knobs'.

Re: para 2 --- I don't really understand what you are saying. Now the trip planner gives you 2 or more options typically and you touch the one you want. If you want to deviate from that then you set a waypoint to more finely control that. I have used waypoints a lot and both of these things have really made a difference in the trip planner (local and 6000+3000 miles of road trips this year).

I understand paragraph 1 but I was pointing out the clear misconception/misrepresentation that there was no way to control them. They incorporated the concepts in higher levels settings of chill, standard, and assertive and put it in the description. I fully understand you can separate them. They are thinking they need it simpler for the 'masses' vs too many 'knobs'.

Re: para 2 --- I don't really understand what you are saying. Now the trip planner gives you 2 or more options typically and you touch the one you want. If you want to deviate from that then you set a waypoint to more finely control that. I have used waypoints a lot and both of these things have really made a difference in the trip planner (local and 6000+3000 miles of road trips this year).

To clarify, my commute has had the wrong map data for five years on one of the most heavily trafficked freeways in Los Angeles.

Every day the car decides we should get off at 39th street, turn around, and get right back on the freeway. This is not given as a selection or an alternate. When I leave my garage it correctly displays the whole route without this weird deviation.

The car should get on the freeway, drive 13 miles, and get off the freeway. What it actually does is get on the freeway, drives 8 miles and then decides mid-drive that we need to get off on 39th RIGHT NOW, and then get right back on the freeway.

In the past I circumvented this by just turning off NoA or having lane changes only complete after confirmation. This would allow me to pass this bizarre mid-trip reroute until the car figured out we should just remain on the freeway.

This is no longer an option and when the car incorrectly decides this exit should happen, off we go!

To clarify, my commute has had the wrong map data for five years on one of the most heavily trafficked freeways in Los Angeles.

Every day the car decides we should get off at 39th street, turn around, and get right back on the freeway. This is not given as a selection or an alternate. When I leave my garage it correctly displays the whole route without this weird deviation.
Have you tried turning off the "Online Routing" option to see if that avoids the problem? (It sounds like it thinks there is a delay that it can get around by getting off the freeway and back on.)

• Helpful
Reactions: scottf200
Second drive today on city/ country roads. Went better today, no wild swinging right to turn left incidents, drove about 14 miles round trip. The car did drive more smoothly (in chill mode). on the drive in I make one intervention to go around a roadblock (road was closed for work). The car made right and left protected and unprotected turns without incident. On the return I did intervene one time on a left turn just because I felt unsure, probably would have been ok but I'm using a little more caution now after yesterday.

Edit: I wanted to add the it still turns the wrong way leaving my driveway but the oblique angled intersection at the end of my street where it has had a problem entering with traffic was done very well for the first time in a long time.

Have you tried turning off the "Online Routing" option to see if that avoids the problem? (It sounds like it thinks there is a delay that it can get around by getting off the freeway and back on.)
Makes no difference, the car thinks that when the 110 freeway crosses over an adjacent road that we have left the freeway and freaks out, demanding that we exit onto the road that we are supposedly on already. Then it figures it out and realizes it needs to be back on the 110.

It’s just bad map data. It also thinks that two lanes there are converging into one (they’re not) and slams on the brakes to avoid a collision.

Every day. For years.