Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

MCU2 - Retrofit

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I would be happy even if the IC display isn’t upgraded, that would make the replacement a lot simpler but would require some custom code on the retrofit to output data to the old IC display. The old IC display is just fine, it is the main screen that is so slow.

Speed is one thing, compatibility with future enhancement is the most important thing I want with the MCU retrofit.

Let’s find out the cost before we celebrate.

Reactions: tskguy
I called the Decatur SC...they told me to buy a new car if I wanted the new MCU :) After I mentioned the Tweet...They informed me they will look into it and provide me an update.
Got an email back from the Shop Supervisor...

“This is a new development and details on price and availability will be released as they are available.“

Hey does anyone know how to crash your old MCU so it looks like a warranty issue?
#AskingForAFriend

I typically find electronics don't like water, I once saw someone slam on the brakes to avoid an accident and in accidentally went all over the dash, imagine what would have it if went all into that poor little cid sitting right in the middle of the cup holders. I'd imagine it would not be good for the CID and just a tragic accident because you were trying to save that squirrel!

Elon has an amazing knowledge of the engineering details, so I'm sure he knows the swap is trivial. Now his organization (which btw must be tired of being overruled by Elon) will have to come up with a price and a upgrade ticket for those who want it

Reactions: Shock-On-T
Oh wow!!! This would be amazing. I am totally ok with paying extra to get the upgrade. I would just be happy to get that new updated computer in my car. :D Fingers crossed. Hopefully Elon convinces the people lower down the chain to offer this as a paid upgrade.

Am I the only one not thrilled if a successor to a 7 year old system only has double the speed? Should be much, much faster, no?
Most likely is, but limited by software. Even the newest state of the art touch hardware can feel slow if the software has not followed in time.

Lots of smoothness improvements since 2010 on the mobile front (eg Android and Windows) is due to smarter software. For example making each touch event trigger hardware interrupts. The interrupt immediately pauses any current task and gives control to the application for that part of screen's UI thread for scroll/touch. User feels immediate response from the screen making the phone seem fast, altough the overall system efficiency is actually reduced.

Not confirmed until it's been done atleast once. But I'm glad we're getting an answer other than "No".
and...
I'm not sure if an Elon tweet means [confirmed]
I'm still waiting for a lot of tweets to come to fruition.

Yeah, a flippant tweet from Elon is far, far from "confirmed." (who changed the thread title?). That means the SDK is confirmed. A Chrome browser is confirmed. AP2 cross country drive in 2017 is confirmed. FSD in "3 months maybe, 6 months definitely" is confirmed. Yadda, yadda, yadda.

Umm, no it doesn't at least not on MCU1. The IC displays things from the can bus, and yes some bits from the MCU, but the IC isn't just a dumb display terminal for the MCU1, now it is or appears to be a simply a display terminal for MCU2 and probably not even on the network or can bus, but until someone visits me or someone else with an MCU2 car, we can only speculate for now, but it's pretty good speculation at this point given all we know and the behaviors we've seen.

So you said it yourself, the IC stands alone and relies on Tegra2, the CAN bus, and data from the MCU to function. Wouldn't it be easier to just port that software to send the IC the same data stream, then re-engineering an entire physical dash retrofit for every single car, including a new IC, wire harnesses, MCU, connectors, and I'm sure dozens of other parts? Or is the easier route to just build a drop-in MCU1 replacement that already plays nice with all the existing IC and hardware? I really don't know why you think an entire dash retrofit is the easier and less expensive option than porting some existing software?

I would be happy even if the IC display isn’t upgraded, that would make the replacement a lot simpler but would require some custom code on the retrofit to output data to the old IC display. The old IC display is just fine, it is the main screen that is so slow.

Exactly.

Elon has an amazing knowledge of the engineering details, so I'm sure he knows the swap is trivial.

Who said it was trivial?

I am absolutely stunned that Elon should offer this upgrade.
A moment of typical Elon brilliance

Just hope that the rest of Tesla are not just as stunned (oh cr@p did he just say that, all leave now cancelled)

(I'm sorry sir we cannot get your car in for service for 6 months as we booked solid with MCU updates)

Hey @Elon - give me the training and I'll give you a bunch of time to help out with demand for free just for the heck of it.

Who said it was trivial?
Non-trivial changes are usually not suggested by Elon. Such as AP1->AP2 (explicitly stated) or AP2>AP2 5 (never mentioned).

Ofcourse I don't know for sure until I've seen wiring diagrams for both MCU1 and MCU2, but it would surprise me if it was not a drop-in replacement. The software code for CAN interface is probably identical in both builds.

If the software is fairly reasonable written, the new platform was just a few new device drivers compiled into the linux kernel and a recompile of the firmware on a new target. More likely MS/MX with MCU2 still share codebase with MCU1, than share with M3 (yet, until all is unified).