Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

MCU2 - Retrofit

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
MCU1 is soooooo slow......... Need an upgrade path as soon as possible

I've seen all the rumors (even the most recent ones) and I still say - If Tesla actually develops and releases a MCU1 to MCU2 upgrade, I'll eat my own shorts.

MCU1 cars, including my own, are 3-4 years old at a minimum. It would take hundreds if not thousands of engineering hours to develop, approve, manufacture, and release a retrofit kit. All for what? So folks with older cars can 'modernize' their cars and avoid buying a new car for longer?

It's not in a manufacturer's best interest to make the existing product less appealing to replace with the new version. And as a stockholder, I hope they DON'T make a retrofit. Yeah, my MCU is slower than a new car....but Tesla should be focusing on pushing folks to trade in and buy new, rather than keep their old car longer. That's what drives more revenue and more new innovation.

It would be like if Apple released a camera and processor upgrade for the iPhone 8 that made it the same as the 11. Then, why would I buy a new 11? I'd just pay a few bucks to upgrade my 8 and keep it longer, meaning a lot less revenue for Apple.

It would be great if Aftermarket vendors could do upgrades like this - because frankly, I think Aftermarket Companies who aren't also focused on designing 3 new cars could get this released MUCH FASTER. But Tesla should absolutely NOT develop this themselves.

You may disagree, and it's not what MCU1 folks want to hear (and I'm a MCU1 owner too), but it's the reality of doing business.

Last edited:
I agree that it may be better for Tesla to offer incentives to purchase a new vehicle vs. spending $ and resources to retrofit MCU1/AP2 vehicles to support the new AP3 processor (if it requires an MCU upgrade). Even if an MCU1 to MCU2 upgrade was available for an additional cost, based on how much it did cost, we'd have to evaluate whether or not it would be worthwhile to add now that our vehicle is already 3 years old.

Instead of an MCU/AP upgrade, if Tesla offered us incentive to purchase a new S or X, we'd strongly consider it (transfer AP/FUSC/extended warranty with a $5000 trade-in credit).

I agree that it may be better for Tesla to offer incentives to purchase a new vehicle vs. spending $ and resources to retrofit MCU1/AP2 vehicles to support the new AP3 processor (if it requires an MCU upgrade). Even if an MCU1 to MCU2 upgrade was available for an additional cost, based on how much it did cost, we'd have to evaluate whether or not it would be worthwhile to add now that our vehicle is already 3 years old.

Instead of an MCU/AP upgrade, if Tesla offered us incentive to purchase a new S or X, we'd strongly consider it (transfer AP/FUSC/extended warranty with a $5000 trade-in credit).

Agreed.

and just to clarify, I definitely think an upgrade to the MCU should exist, I just think someone in the aftermarket should make it, not have Tesla circle back to make it.

service is slow as it is - adding a bunch of older vehicle retrofits at service centers wouldn’t help that.

Agreed.

and just to clarify, I definitely think an upgrade to the MCU should exist, I just think someone in the aftermarket should make it, not have Tesla circle back to make it.

service is slow as it is - adding a bunch of older vehicle retrofits at service centers wouldn’t help that.

Well the problem is Tesla won't allow anyone to buy a mcu2. The upgrade is plug and play

Well the problem is Tesla won't allow anyone to buy a mcu2. The upgrade is plug and play
The upgrade is NOT plug and play. The provisioning of the MCU2 requires a handful of required files in order to work correctly in the vehicle as well as talk to the Tesla servers. You can’t just buy an MCU2 and install it and expect it to work. It will not.

Furthermore, you need IC2, and Tuner2 installed. While wiring doesn’t need any changes, the barrier to entry for DIY retrofits for MCU2 will be the software access which isn’t easily available.

Trust me, I know what I’m talking about. You’ll see a post from me in the near future about my MCU2 retrofit efforts.

Furthermore, you need IC2, and Tuner2 installed. While wiring doesn’t need any changes, the barrier to entry for DIY retrofits for MCU2 will be the software access which isn’t easily available.

This is my big issue with Tesla. They aren't open enough to allowing an aftermarket business to develop from a software standpoint. I guess I can understand that if you look at Tesla as a software company that just happens to make cars -- because they sell 'unlocks' like FSD and Ludicrous for quite a bit of money, and if someone undercut them, that would hurt their bottom line.

But for things like this where you're changing out hardware and doing upgrades to cars that are way-post-sale, it does get annoying that they lock down any aftermarket stuff by holding a card over folks head with the unknown of - If I modify the software in the car, will Tesla lock me out of service/supercharging/updates?

I could understand having a policy of cutting off updates if you modify the software. When they push updates to the car it's not likely to be able to correct for any programming changes it's not expecting...which could cause problems. So, if you want to get updates again, you have to have tesla re-flash the car.

But their current stance seems to be "if you change anything, at all, you're excommunicated for life!"

• Informative
Reactions: Guy V and KyleDay
"Is anything removed with the Infotainment Upgrade?
Yes. You will no longer have access to AM, FM or Sirius XM radio. You will still have access to internet radio and music streaming, including streaming over Bluetooth"

Whaat? No even FM? WTF is that? Got to be a mistake
not a mistake

The mcu2 needs new digital tuner instead of analog one in mcu1 cars.
And that replacement is a lot of labor, so somebody run the numbers and decided that it's good enough as is.