Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

MCU2 - Retrofit

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
not a mistake

The mcu2 needs new digital tuner instead of analog one in mcu1 cars.
And that replacement is a lot of labor, so somebody run the numbers and decided that it's good enough as is.

I don't blame tesla for excluding the new tuner (am/fm/Xm for mcu2). I put one in my car in my recent mcu2 retrofit and the tuner was the hardest part by far. Took like 2 hours and was awkward as heck. The bolts are very hard to get to behind the steering column. Tesla made the right choice for retrofits.

Tesla has all the data. While there may be some vocal people here on the forums, Tesla is well aware of how many people actually use the AM/FM radios in older S. (X never had AM).

I'm sure they looked at the numbers, looked at the retrofit work needed (see above post) and just decided it wasn't worth it because no one uses it.

I've driven S/X since 2016 and I can count the number of times I've used the over the air radio in my car on one hand.

I don't blame tesla for excluding the new tuner (am/fm/Xm for mcu2). I put one in my car in my recent mcu2 retrofit and the tuner was the hardest part by far. Took like 2 hours and was awkward as heck. The bolts are very hard to get to behind the steering column. Tesla made the right choice for retrofits.

kdday, so are you saying its at least partly about difficulty in removing and installing a different/new one? Not necessarily a compatibility issue?

kdday, so are you saying its at least partly about difficulty in removing and installing a different/new one? Not necessarily a compatibility issue?

Correct. Mcu2 has a new Ethernet based tuner that physically fits in the same slot as the mcu1 analog based tuner. It requires new wiring which is just two wires for power/ground, and a twisted pair for Ethernet to mcu2. It's simple to conceptually retrofit, but rather bothersome to physically remove the old one and install the new one. It took me a few hours of yelling and cursing, plus two bandaids, to get the tuner swapped out. I'm sure that's why tesla isn't doing it for retrofits.

Thanks. that's very helpful. Hey, I have no peer when it comes to yelling and cursing. So I feel fully qualified to tackle this if I miss radio enough. Where did you get the one you put in yours? Where did you get the cables? Got part numbers, by chance?

I bought the mcu2, ic2, tuner2, and an entire wiring harness out of a wrecked late 2018 car from a salvage yard. Sorry, I am traveling and don't have part numbers.

That said, the way tesla is disabling the tuner will certainly be via a configuration update, which to then re-enable will require them to turn it back on (or root access to do so).

Reactions: Akikiki
Thanks. that's very helpful. Hey, I have no peer when it comes to yelling and cursing. So I feel fully qualified to tackle this if I miss radio enough. Where did you get the one you put in yours? Where did you get the cables? Got part numbers, by chance?

Something to consider....it seems like the MCU2 upgrade will still have "Tune-In" - so you can still listen to some AM/FM stations, just through a different medium.

And SiriusXM has a phone app that you can stream over bluetooth....quality is just as mediocre on the app as it is over the 16kbps satelite connection, so no loss there.

Reactions: Akikiki
That said, the way tesla is disabling the tuner will certainly be via a configuration update, which to then re-enable will require them to turn it back on (or root access to do so).
Why would Tesla bother disabling it? Seems easier to simply code to add the button if it sees the tuner and not add the button if it doesn't. Like it does with USB. Way simpler than having two configurations.

Unless we are sure is gets disabled I am going to install the tuner.

Doesn't anyone go the drive-in? Or get mountain pass updates? Or catch local game coverage driving to or from local sporting events? @#$& tic toc. Kids get off my lawn.

Tweet: Bonnie Norman on Twitter

fFUxdE9.jpg

• Informative
Reactions: FlatSix911
More information from Electrek... Tesla officially starts offering $2,500 infotainment upgrade - Electrek

The upgrade costs $2,500 (plus applicable tax including installation), but owners cannot request it right now. Only people Tesla is itself reaching out to will be offered the upgrade, starting with people who have Autopilot 2.5 hardware and the Full Self-Driving package, and then they will expand to others: Configuration Beginning Availability
  • Autopilot Computer 2.5 with Full Self-Driving Capability - Scheduling Now
  • Autopilot Computer 2.0 with Full Self-Driving Capability - Late March
  • All remaining Model S and Model X owners - Early April

• Informative
Reactions: pilotSteve
If Tesla actually develops and releases a MCU1 to MCU2 upgrade, I'll eat my own shorts.
Will you be live-streaming this, or will you post the video to YouTube? I don't want to miss this.

Seriously, with all of the nasty, negative, and slanderous comments against Tesla that some on this forum and another have made against Tesla on this topic, I am wishing we could watch each one of them eat large portions of humble pie. Apart from @Aggmeister2010, with his humorous follow-up, those who were slinging the worst of it have been conspicuously quiet for that past 24 hours.

Last edited:
Will you be live-streaming this, or will you post the video to YouTube? I don't want to miss this.

Seriously, with all of the nasty, negative, and slanderous comments against Tesla that some on this forum and another have made against Tesla on this topic, I am wishing we could watch each one of them eat large portions of humble pie. Apart from @Aggmeister2010, with his humorous follow-up, those who were slinging the worst of it have been conspicuously quiet for that past 24 hours.

They will probably say it isn't a real upgrade and doesn't qualify for his challenge because they are removing the AM/FM/XM options in the "upgrade."

From the Tesla's Self-Driving Computer Installations page:

"... with the FSD Computer you will have access to an enhanced Driving Visualization that offers more insight into how your Tesla perceives the world around you and future Full Self-Driving Capabilities, pending regulatory approval. Note that the enhanced Driving Visualization requires the latest Infotainment system."
Losing AM was expected after an MCU1 to MCU2 upgrade, since MCU2 vehicles don't have AM.

But losing FM/XM is a showstopper for us - we listen to local and national live sports and news almost all of the time in our S and X - stations that are not available through Tesla's built-in apps.

The MCU1 hardware should be powerful enough to run many of the additional apps and features provided today only with MCU2. It's more likely a software resource decision - saving development resources by no longer adding new capabilities to the older MCU1 vehicles.

If they included the FM/XM radio functionality with the upgrade - would strongly consider the upgrade in our 3 year old S. But without FM/XM - it's a big NO. And if that means our vehicle won't get the full FSD functionality available on the newer vehicles, would rather Tesla offer a reasonably priced trade-in for a newer vehicle that has radio and full FSD capabilities.

Reactions: Craig-Y
It requires new wiring which is just two wires for power/ground, and a twisted pair for Ethernet to mcu2.

I bought the mcu2, ic2, tuner2, and an entire wiring harness out of a wrecked late 2018 car from a salvage yard. Sorry, I am traveling and don't have part numbers.
When you return, would you be able to find the part number for the tuner2 for us? I would like to see if it could be purchased. Did you have to create your own custom wiring?

Yeah seriously.

Meanwhile the complaints are already rolling in for people who listen to local radio like it's the 1930's.

When you return, would you be able to find the part number for the tuner2 for us? I would like to see if it could be purchased. Did you have to create your own custom wiring?
Tuner 2 for non-premium cars (without XM radio) which provides AM/FM functionality only is 1143703-00-B. I seem to recall it's $280 over the counter at tesla. Installation sucks. Wiring is fairly easy, and I did custom wiring since it's only 4 wires.

Tuner 2 for non-premium cars (without XM radio) which provides AM/FM functionality only is 1143703-00-B. I seem to recall it's $280 over the counter at tesla. Installation sucks. Wiring is fairly easy, and I did custom wiring since it's only 4 wires.

Does the old tuner need to be removed, or can we just put the new tuner in a convenient location?