Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 Performance/Ludicrous Waiting Room

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Any chance getting some full car profile picts with the blue and aero removed?
Also what mud flaps did you go with. Do theyhit the exterior paint much. or just sit inside the fender.
Sure I’ll do that on my lunch break. The flaps are nice, went on in a couple of mins, and are more rubber than hard plastic, way better than other brands. They only overlap
The paint slightly, but creates a nice clean look. In fact I just ordered a set for my wife’s MYLR to replace hers.

Reactions: sgtauto
I find it interesting that people still get upset about later orders getting cars before them. Tesla is publicly traded and their responsibility is to their shareholders to maximize profits. While it may not be “fair” to give a recent order a VIN when earlier orders are unfulfilled, it is “right”. If someone cancels an allocated order, Tesla is handed an opportunity to increase their profit margin and it is their fiduciary responsibility to maximize their profits. And beyond cancellations, later orders simply have better margins. Nowhere in the purchase agreement we signed does it say anything about “first come, first served“. Maddening, yes. Capitalism don’t care about feelings.

As a business owner myself, I am aware that fiduciary responsibility and responsibility to your customer are not mutually exclusive. They are two things that must be balanced to have a successful business. There are a lot of areas in the Tesla ordering-to-delivery process that are clumsy and will be off-putting to customers. Contradictory communications from various parts of the Tesla team along the way. Lack of transparency on order status. Assigning VINs to people who just ordered when people who ordered earlier should have been given the opportunity.

The bottom line is that if you take the time to set things up and optimized your process, it'll serve the customer and happier customers feed right into that fiduciary responsibility.

Tesla knows exactly where every single piece, part, screw is in its supply chain and knows exactly how many cars it can make down to the minute I bet. Things happen but logistics is critical in their business, and they absolutely could and should provide tighter EDD windows. Even if they have to adjust it this 45 day up and down crap is ridiculous.
The problem is I think they over optimize. They know everything about the car but they don't know everything about what orders will come in and change which transports they can fill when.

As a business owner myself, I am aware that fiduciary responsibility and responsibility to your customer are not mutually exclusive. They are two things that must be balanced to have a successful business. There are a lot of areas in the Tesla ordering-to-delivery process that are clumsy and will be off-putting to customers. Contradictory communications from various parts of the Tesla team along the way. Lack of transparency on order status. Assigning VINs to people who just ordered when people who ordered earlier should have been given the opportunity.

The bottom line is that if you take the time to set things up and optimized your process, it'll serve the customer and happier customers feed right into that fiduciary responsibility.
What is your business

I find it interesting that people still get upset about later orders getting cars before them. Tesla is publicly traded and their responsibility is to their shareholders to maximize profits. While it may not be “fair” to give a recent order a VIN when earlier orders are unfulfilled, it is “right”. If someone cancels an allocated order, Tesla is handed an opportunity to increase their profit margin and it is their fiduciary responsibility to maximize their profits. And beyond cancellations, later orders simply have better margins. Nowhere in the purchase agreement we signed does it say anything about “first come, first served“. Maddening, yes. Capitalism don’t care about feelings.
Except that customer retention is also part of responsibility to share holders as that makes better profits. If you save $1000 but lose sales, either now or in the future, it's not being responsible to your shareholders.

I wonder if trading in a car has anything to do with vin assignment. Since we are talking about end of quarter margin. People paying cash or financing without a trade in is instant cash for tesla where as taking a trade in means delayed cash since they send it to auction? Just brainstorming here since I am bored and anxious.

I wonder if trading in a car has anything to do with vin assignment. Since we are talking about end of quarter margin. People paying cash or financing without a trade in is instant cash for tesla where as taking a trade in means delayed cash since they send it to auction? Just brainstorming here since I am bored and anxious.
No, I have no trade in yet I didn't have a vin for an order placed in the first 45 minutes.

For me, it's $55k vs $88k since I have no intention of ordering FSD. I have FSD on my M3P (and have been a part of the beta program for a long time) and while it has improved, I wouldn't pay extra for it. On my next Tesla, I plan to stick with the stock autopilot. Someday...assuming it ever gets to the point where I trust it without me watching it like a hawk, I'll just spring for the monthly subscription and call it a day. That seems to be the way to go unless you think they get it working well sometime soon AND you plan to keep the car for a long time.

For me, I'm comfortable treating it as a "super cruise control" on the highway, but I don't trust it on back roads and don't care about using it with the nav system. Color me a luddite. :)

Best,
Yeah in the 4 years I have owned my M3P I have used Autopilot maybe 4 times. The times I have uses it I found its tolerance for riding the line a little to close to be comfortable. Isn’t that the point of driver assistance programs, to let the driver somewhat relax? Does the opposite for me, I’m tense as heck. Besides I enjoy driving way too much to pay Elon to drive for me, and perhaps kill me along the way.

There is zero chance you dont take delivery of this car in 2024, if you dont put your order on hold. I would even say there is only like a 1% chance that your order makes it to the end of july (unless you put it on hold).

Attachments

• 1620234277641.png
    1620234277641.png
    146 KB · Views: 2

Doesn't look like it. I have a trade and I got my VIN on 5/16. Only thing I did that seems a little different than most is that I completed every task in the app as soon as it was available including making a "final" payment (downpayment). I entered my trade, loan info, insurance, etc. on day 1 just so there would be no excuses for a delay. I have no idea whether or not that helped.

Decided to change to SG/BLK from BLUE/BLK. Seems like it would've been forever to get the Blue. I was gonna get a wrap over the Blue anyways so it didn't make much sense waiting longer for it.
There's no empiracal data that even remotely implies that certain colors arrive quicker than others. They are all done in batches, so it's really just a timing thing.

Reactions: cptnslo
There's no empiracal data that even remotely implies that certain colors arrive quicker than others. They are all done in batches, so it's really just a timing thing.
We do have tracker data which shows that Blue is the least ordered car and the least delivered. With just those two data points its safe to assume its the least produced color. If they produced as many Blue as they did SG everyone who ordered Blue would have one.