Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 Performance/Ludicrous Waiting Room

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
(moderator note)

Please feel free to continue the discussion on the hyundai 5N in the thread dedicated to that discussion, which is here:

Posts on that topic have been relocated to that thread, so discussion can pick up in there on that topic if desired

I've never had a problem with tinted windows OR lack of front license plate driving anywhere in SoCal with city cops in any of the cities here. It's the CHP who have always hassled me with both tint and no front plates. If there's no one speeding and no one driving solo in the HOV lane, I guess they get bored and look for violations.
That’s my experience. Out of college I had a little 325ci and was heading down the 405 to visit family in OC. CHP did not like that I passed him on the left while going the speed limit at night. Cited the lack of plate and “aggressive driving” as the reason he pulled me. Basically he went fishing and when I explained that he was driving 55 in a posted 65, he let me go with a warning on the plate. Definitely thought I was drunk to have the balls to pass a cop.

Reactions: jv92red
Slight pull to the right

Let's be careful with the alignment pull to the right else we're gonna see a bandwagon effect. Most of us probably know this but I fear some may not...

A vehicle with correct alignment (particularly if there is minimal toe) will pull right on most roads due to road crown. Most roads are sloped down on the right for drainage which will naturally make a vehicle pull right or drift right when you take your hands off the steering wheel. My old Chevy Bolt used to really pull right until one time on a deserted country road where I could see for miles, I drove in the opposing lane for a moment: it pulled left. Not suggesting people do that but there are roads where you can test it: highways come to mind where you can test in multiple lanes as some highways are actually crowned to the left.

Anyway, just be sure to test the pull under various road conditions to be sure it isn't a natural drift. I remember reading long ago how Teslas have an adaptive steering assist where they will actually adapt to road crowns and give you a more neutral feeling over time. I know nothing about that though: just mentioning it here in case it is true and we have to factor that in too. It's also possible that Tesla is using less toe on the new M3P which would also make the car follow the road crown much more noticeably.

I've never had a problem with tinted windows OR lack of front license plate driving anywhere in SoCal with city cops in any of the cities here. It's the CHP who have always hassled me with both tint and no front plates. If there's no one speeding and no one driving solo in the HOV lane, I guess they get bored and look for violations.
Growing up, it was always the HP that got me for no front plate and tint. City cops actually have stuff to do and ain’t got no time for that. Lol

Reactions: jv92red
Thank you for posting these pics! I ordered SG, then started to doubt that decision and switched to pearl white over the wknd. Sat on it for a day and decided to switch back to SG, after convincing myself that I made the right choice when I placed the order. 😆 Not sure if that had anything to do with it, but my EDD finally changed to 6/25-6/30 after being at 7/6-8/17 for 4 wks. Fingers crossed that the 5 day range means it’s gonna stick (or get pushed even sooner)! 🤞🏻

Reactions: ucby
The

Hyundai is hideous. Your post reminds me of the scene in Monty Python Life of Brian where they’re debating what the Romans have ever done.

The New M3P is mostly the same as last year

Except for the improved rear motor that will give it more than good 0-60, but aside from that it’s mostly the same

Except for the lighter forged wheels with less unsprung mass that will make it quicker and more responsive in corners, but aside from that it’s mostly the same.

Except for a much needed and impressive adaptive suspension that will greatly help it perform both on a track as well as a daily, but aside from that it’s mostly the same

Oh and the re-design with aero vents to help cool brakes, an improved front that will help create more downforce, an upgraded rear spoiler and diffuser that also help aero, but aside from that it’s mostly the same

And ventilated sport seats, that will provide more support and lateral stability with side bolsters to facilitate more spirited driving, but aside from that it’s mostly the same

I got my M3P for $45k as well which IIRC is $20k less
Except for… you know, all those significant improvements…
It’s still better than that hideous 5N 😂

I ended up doing 70% front windshield and 20% on the sides + rear. This is what I've done on all my past vehicles and it been my tint sweet spot.
No tint on the top glass? I’m thinking of going with 15% all around (including top glass) and 70% on the windshield. What parts did you PPF? Currently considering front bumper/and front half of fenders, front part of rear wheelwells and rear bumper.

Congrats to everyone receiving their vehicles lately! I wanted to pop in to urge everyone to do a strong checklist before driving off the lot. I’m sure most if not all will, but I’ve noticed a few issues with my vehicle that are a bit annoying considering it is new that I want others to avoid as best they can.

- Park assist is degraded warning almost every time parking
- Slight rattle on the driver’s side door appeared and disappeared a couple times
- There is a bit of a creaking noise when turning the wheels while stationary at times

Of course I still love my vehicle and am over the moon to be driving it around, but I wish I could have noticed these before I accepted delivery. Service appointment is next week so I’m hoping they address these at no cost.

Has anyone else had experienced any issues after pickup?
Thanks! Adding these to my delivery checklist!

Reactions: agnzt
I have a few questions for those who’ve received their VIN #:
1. About how long was it between your last EDD update and getting your VIN #?
2. Is a 5-day range in my EDD a good sign that it won’t get bumped out (or even better, might be pushed sooner)? EDD updated to 6/25-6/30 yesterday, after sitting at 7/6-8/17 for 4-weeks, and I’m trying to decide when I should start uninstalling all the mods and list my old car for sale.
Big thanks in advance!

It's official! Picked up in Irvine CA this afternoon. Very smooth process, no issues. She's absolutely gorgeous as I thought when I first saw the same red/black M3P in Santa Monica weeks ago. Now, parked next to my still very nice looking '18 M3, it REALLY looks beautiful.

Not much to add after the short drive home except that it is a joy to drive and it seems like everything has been updated and improved in the six years since I picked up our first "Ruby" on 6/8/2018.

Since it looks like you are in a position to compare both cars side by side... do you think the grill opening on the front of the 2018 is the same size and shape of the new one? I'm wondering whether my grill cover (screen) that helps keep bugs out of my 2021's radiator will work on the new M3P? I suspect not as maybe they are a different size or shape. But knowing Tesla, maybe there's a chance they left the size and shape the same to save money?

Reactions: M109Rider
2. Is a 5-day range in my EDD a good sign that it won’t get bumped out (or even better, might be pushed sooner)? EDD updated to 6/25-6/30 yesterday, after sitting at 7/6-8/17 for 4-weeks, and I’m trying to decide when I should start uninstalling all the mods and list my old car for sale.
Big thanks in advance!
Your EDD means nothing. No one can answer any of your questions accurately

Totally understand. Only asking for the experience of others.
Yup I have seen several people lose their trade in offers or have to re do financing because EDD said it would be soon, then it pushed out. I ordered day of release and still no VIN while others ordered mid May and have a VIN. My EDD was 5/30-6/12 to 7/15-8/19 and then yesterday went back to 6/20-6/30. So who the hell knows.

TLDR: EDD has proven again and again to mean nothing until you have a VIN, so don’t schedule things around it or you may get dissapointed.

Big thanks in advance!

1. Some within 1 day and others months, there is no pattern and everyone's is different.
2. EDD range regardless being within 1 day range or 20 years range, is meaningless. With that said, the only time you can start considering selling your car is when you get assigned a VIN and your EDD updates and you pick a delivery date. Then you can put your car up for sale. Even then, make sure you have a contingency plan if your delivery date changes, e.g., borrow your gramma's car, rent a car, bike, walk, run, short bus etc.

Did you do full hood? Been getting some quotes on PPF and theres quite a difference between “24” up the hood” and full hood. Yours looks fantastic!!

Do NOT do partial hood. It looks terrible and that edge can accumulate grime making it stand out even more. IMO installers should not offer this option. Skip a couple of take out meals and pony up for the full hood.

It’s your money though and you’re the one who has to look at that grimy line when you walk up to your car, when it’s sitting in the garage, and it’s unavoidably in your line of sight when you’re driving. It’s like walking around all day with your pants half on. Or only brushing the lower portion of your teeth. Like washing only your forehead when you take a shower. The analogies are gonna get worse until you get the message. Help me help you.