TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Model S Canadian Deliveries

Discussion in 'Model S: Ordering, Production, Delivery' started by colinb, Oct 11, 2012.

1. neroden

neroden Happy Model S Owner

Despite the logic of your conclusions, I think it would be fairly crazy for Tesla to start producing the Sigs *without* approval. After all, if they *don't* get approval that would mean they have to go back and retrofit 200 cars, pretty much immediately, which is not efficient.

I think if they had no Sigs left to build which had approval, at that point they'd start building Ps and Rs and storing *them* (which would maintain the principle that the Signature holders get delivery before P and R holders).... at least I'd hope so! Of course, if European cars are approved they could produce European Sigs while waiting for Canadian approvals, etc.

However, they certainly seem to be expecting Canadian approval before they've finished the US Sig cars, so that would be the right assumption to work with.

2. jerry33

jerry33 S85 - VIN:P05130 - 3/2/13

Transport Canada is probably trying to figure out where to put the maple leaf on the car. If you've ever sat through any Parliamentary hearings, you'll realize that the position of the maple leaf and its size is a big deal[SUP]tm[/SUP].

3. josh_b

josh_b Member

Welcome to Canadian Bureaucracy. My work at a pseudo-governmental institution includes attending meetings where we discuss (for three hours) whether or not our goal is to "Educate students towards their next career" or "Educate students towards their next careerS". Sigh.

4. Doug_G

Doug_G Lead Moderator

Tesla didn't have any trouble getting the Roadster approved. Most likely the bureaucratic gears are turning and approval will happen in due course without any drama.

5. Vger

Vger Active Member

In the USA, the press were not allowed test drives until the government approvals came through. If that rule is the same in Canada, we might have a very encouraging big hint here (also a great review):

A lightning bolt in harness

6. Doug_G

Doug_G Lead Moderator

He was probably driving a car licensed in the USA. You can drive those legally in Canada - people do it all the time.

7. KBF

KBF Model S 2017

Good article; well-written and extremely positive. I hope the rear seats are approved by Transport Canada soon, though... I can't fit my whole family in without them, and that was how I convinced my wife to put down that much cash.

8. mknox

mknox Well-Known Member

I was thinking the same thing. All the cars at the Toronto Get Amped event were US registered with California plates and there didn't seem to be a problem driving them on Canadian streets.

9. Zapped

Zapped Model S - PURE EV

10. Vger

Vger Active Member

Hmmm... intriguing finding. I will check the same with ICBC as soon as I get a chance.

11. KBF

KBF Model S 2017

Nope, MPI and I think some Ontario & Quebec insurance companies have had quotes for a couple of months already...

12. josh_b

josh_b Member

I got a quote already. Was barely more than a 2008 Hyundai Accent!

13. mknox

mknox Well-Known Member

Wow! I called my insurance company (RBC Insurance), and they had a bit of trouble looking it up, but eventually came back with a preliminary quote of $2,305 + tax / yr. for $1 million liability and $400 deductible comprehensive. This is about $300 more than I pay for my 3 year old Cadillac CTS. I have a 6-star no claims rating and have multi-car plus home and auto discounts. Either Hyundais are really expensive to insure, or I'm with the wrong company!

I see you're also in the GTA. Can you share who the insurance company or broker was? I usually shop my insurance around every couple of years (and until now have not been able to beat RBC), but maybe it's time to shop around again!

14. RichardC

RichardC Cdn Sig & Solar Supporter

I am also in the GTA and interested in insurance options. What information is required to get a quote? I had asked my insurance agent six months ago and was told that I needed a VIN number?

15. colinb

colinb Member

There is a thread on Canadian Insurance for the Model S. RBC wanted a VIN before they would quote me whereas Desjardins did not.

16. GeorgeB

GeorgeB Tesla Motors VP, Sales & Ownership Experience

Hello Canada!!! Just a quick note...

I know some of you are wondering if there will be a "Signature Update" coming your way similar to the one in the US several weeks ago? Yep, we will do so shortly. We needed to wait just a little longer to finalize a few things before sending it out. It will be hitting within the next week or so... all good news too!

General Production reservation holders will also be hearing from us soon. General Production configurations for Canada are on track to start right around the end of the month.

GeorgeB

17. ModelS1079

ModelS1079 Member

You are awesome. We all just wanted to remind you. THANKS.

18. teslasguy

teslasguy MSP P#1117

George, does the first part of your General production comments refer to US or Canadian reservation holders?

19. GeorgeB

GeorgeB Tesla Motors VP, Sales & Ownership Experience

This post is all about Canada... General Production reservation holders in Canada will start hearing from us around the end of the month to start configuring their car.

GeorgeB

20. Johan

Johan Took a TSLA bear test. Came back negative.

Good news for you Canadians! I follow this thread with interest, as seeing Tesla broaden their operations outside of the US warms the heart also of us Europeans waiting impatiently.

And to mr. George B: I'm amazed by your direct participation here in the forums and the way you are communicating and updating your early adopters. This also gives med a lot of confidence for the future as a European reservation holder. I won't nag here about time lines for Europe or European pricing, I have faith that you are not holding back in any way and we should all be amazed at the pace with which Tesla Motors is progressing!