Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model S Canadian Deliveries

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Canadian sigs were only introduced in March 2011, so no one was able to put 40k down before then. Even if one upgraded from signature at that point they didn't have to send Tesla any additional funds....

I really hope they don't make us wait ~3 months simply to "reward" sigs...

No, they're not going to go out of their way to make you wait. From what I've heard they plan to start the R's very soon after shipping the Sigs.

No, they're not going to go out of their way to make you wait. From what I've heard they plan to start the R's very soon after shipping the Sigs.

They're already making general production cars. There were two reports of VINs in the 1300's and 1456 on the production line, and those are GP vehicles. It sounds like CA production is on pause while they get approval (which is 1-2 weeks away) and then they'll give priority to CA sigs over any GP cars to get them to you as fast as possible.

They're already making general production cars. There were two reports of VINs in the 1300's and 1456 on the production line, and those are GP vehicles. It sounds like CA production is on pause while they get approval (which is 1-2 weeks away) and then they'll give priority to CA sigs over any GP cars to get them to you as fast as possible.

We were both talking about Canadian R's and P's. :)

Whoops! You're right. I'm not sure how CA general production is going to be mixed in with US GP. I'm guessing it will be a portion of the overall production rate. I assume it wouldn't be every other car produced.

My guess is since they did 200 sigs in Canada and 1000 sigs in US, that's a 1 to 5 ratio, so maybe they'll make 1 in 6 cars Canadian. It will likely be more like 1 in 10 though because there are far fewer than oone tenth of the reservations in Canada than there are in the US.

My wife spoke with a gentleman (unfortunately I don't recall his name) who advised that the Canadian gov has conditionally approved sale of the Model S in Canada now. Additionally I am P #352 and am slated to get a call in January to finalize my car. Hope you are all hanging in there until then!

My wife spoke with a gentleman (unfortunately I don't recall his name) who advised that the Canadian gov has conditionally approved sale of the Model S in Canada now. Additionally I am P #352 and am slated to get a call in January to finalize my car. Hope you are all hanging in there until then!

I got a chance to speak with George Blankenship at the Toronto Grand Opening last night, and he explained a bit about what is going on. They are virtually there, and are just going back and forth on things like labels (content and placement on the vehicle). They are expecting final approval soon, and expect to start delivering Sigs in December. George suggested that Production reservation holders may even be contacted in late December! I'm P#343 and will likely see delivering in early Spring.

I got a chance to speak with George Blankenship at the Toronto Grand Opening last night, and he explained a bit about what is going on. They are virtually there, and are just going back and forth on things like labels (content and placement on the vehicle). They are expecting final approval soon, and expect to start delivering Sigs in December. George suggested that Production reservation holders may even be contacted in late December! I'm P#343 and will likely see delivering in early Spring.

Mknox,

Is your early spring timing coming from George? Are you an 85kw battery?

Canadians were first offered Model S reservations in April/May 2009. There were no Signature series cars at the time and the deposit was $5K. When the Sigs were introduced, every existing reservation holder was given the option of upgrading to a Sig without an additional deposit but it was made clear that the Sigs would be at least $30K more expensive and would be delivered first.

Tesla isn't trying to reward anyone or make extra money, they are simply honouring the agreement they made with early reservation holders.

Is your early spring timing coming from George? Are you an 85kw battery?

Yes, but it was just some rough speculation based on how things are going with the Sig deliveries. (I am an 85 kWh battery). At this point, we were chatting in a small group about the timing of the Sig deliveries and I believe George said he hoped to have all the Canadian Sigs delivered by the end of the year with the general production cars following in the new year. It was interesting to hear about how supplier issues are affecting the timing of various cars. George specifically mentioned that the carbon fiber trim pieces were experiencing quality control issues, and that the rate of production of those pieces was causing scheduling issues with the cars configured that way. Clearly, they're doing their best with the production ramp-up, but little issues like this are still getting in the way.

Just to clarify: Canadians could reserve starting the same day as Americans, March 26, 2009. I had asked if I could reserve a Signature, and they said no at the time, but would let me know if that changed. I was actually quite pleasantly surprised they offered the 'upgrade' for no extra deposit, but in hindsight this makes sense because those of us who had reserved that early wouldn't really see nearly the same benefit compared to those who ordered a Sig after. So that makes getting my car well after some people who have waited 3 fewer years than me a bit easier to take...

So I suppose in a sense Tesla wants to reward those who committed to buying a nearly-loaded car, and they do in fact need the higher margins of heavily-optioned cars first due to their lower cash flow now as they get going. But this was, as shorty said, in an agreement all up front. Looking back I do see Tesla trying to be fair, although some expectations they set up have caused consternation among Sigs (along with R's and P's). It's new to all of us, and so there is a learning curve for both company and customer.

Canadians were first offered Model S reservations in April/May 2009. There were no Signature series cars at the time and the deposit was $5K. When the Sigs were introduced, every existing reservation holder was given the option of upgrading to a Sig without an additional deposit but it was made clear that the Sigs would be at least $30K more expensive and would be delivered first.

Tesla isn't trying to reward anyone or make extra money, they are simply honouring the agreement they made with early reservation holders.

- - - Updated - - -

Yes, but it was just some rough speculation based on how things are going with the Sig deliveries. (I am an 85 kWh battery). At this point, we were chatting in a small group about the timing of the Sig deliveries and I believe George said he hoped to have all the Canadian Sigs delivered by the end of the year with the general production cars following in the new year.

That sounds really good. I guess they aren't delivering any Sigs up in Nunavut ;)

Hello Josh! I'm P349, so we should keep in touch!! :)

I reserved a 85 KwH battery pack, whats your config?

Sly

Sly, I'm leaning towards the 60kwh battery pack and hope for a Supercharger between Montreal and Quebec in T-R if ever the 60Kwh battery drains too fast (bad conditions, too much traffic, driving too fast, not enough charge when leaving...) for the few times I'll have to drive that far.

for any family trips, i'll use my SUV

PB P179 60kWh, Blue, Tan leather, pano, air, supercharger option or not

Sly, I'm leaning towards the 60kwh battery pack and hope for a Supercharger between Montreal and Quebec in T-R if ever the 60Kwh battery drains too fast (bad conditions, too much traffic, driving too fast, not enough charge when leaving...) for the few times I'll have to drive that far.

for any family trips, i'll use my SUV

PB P179 60kWh, Blue, Tan leather, pano, air, supercharger option or not

COOL !! Today (I mean right now) there is TWO 70 AMPS (240V) Sun Country (Clipper Creek) public chargers in Trois-Rivières !! Not as fast as the Supercharger, but just a 1 hour top off could be enough for you to reach Quebec City ... :)

I think you should consider the Twin charger option, otherwise you will only get 40 Amps ...

Thanks for the tip, I'll look for the Sun country chargers.

Twin charger option can be added after but not Supercharger option. Decisions, Decisions... Will wait a couple more weeks until we see real life range for the 60kWh.

My calc is as follows

I need 255km of range with 90% highway (don't want to drive slower than 100km/h; hey it is a Model S!) and would want to arrive at destination with a 10%+ buffer with 4 people in the car + luggage, AC or heat on. With max charge in range mode that should be possible on the 60kWh. I estimate EPA to be around 320km vs the Tesla claim of 370km.

Given that there are already quite a lot of 70A Sun Country chargers around, and no superchargers yet, the dual chargers seem like a good idea. I used them on my recent visit to the Toronto opening, and I gotta say it's soooooo much nicer charging at 70A instead of 40A (or less). Arguably the Model S needs it even more, since it is bigger and therefore takes more energy per km than the Roadster.