Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model S Canadian Deliveries

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hey guys. In Quebec, the gov't pays up to $1500 I believe for install of a wall charger so might be worth it...

I'm on the south shore of Montreal, with P308. Hoping for delivery in March... seem reasonable?

NB: Quebec's rebate for the EVSE home installation only applies to ones that are "Equipped with a standard SAE J1772 connector". This essentially excludes the Tesla HPWC from this program :frown:.

see their website for details ... Electric Vehicles - Charging Station Rebate

NB: Quebec's rebate for the EVSE home installation only applies to ones that are "Equipped with a standard SAE J1772 connector". This essentially excludes the Tesla HPWC from this program :frown:.

Why? The Model S comes with a J1772 adapter. And the website says that "the station must be ... Equipped with a standard SAE J1772 connector"

(Bolding mine.)

Why? The Model S comes with a J1772 adapter. And the website says that "the station must be ... Equipped with a standard SAE J1772 connector"

(Bolding mine.)

I assume that you are joking even without a smiley and if not then i invite you out here to argue this point with the government bureaucrats and explain that the EVSE doesn't have the J1772 connector but the car has an adapter that is J1772 compliant even though i will never use it with the EVSE ...

Given that there are already quite a lot of 70A Sun Country chargers around, and no superchargers yet, the dual chargers seem like a good idea. I used them on my recent visit to the Toronto opening, and I gotta say it's soooooo much nicer charging at 70A instead of 40A (or less). Arguably the Model S needs it even more, since it is bigger and therefore takes more energy per km than the Roadster.

Yep. For those who can afford it, I think Canadians should buy the twin-chargers to benefit from using SunCountry's stations at 70A which is much more convenient.

I discussed this with a representative from Quebec EV program at last month at the EV Conference in Montreal, and apparently Tesla is making representation regarding this very point. And he didn't say it was a categorical refusal on their part.
On the contrary ... So I remain hopeful....

BTW, this guy (a Volt owner) had driven a Model S the week before and I had the typical grin while relating the experience...

Hey guys. In Quebec, the gov't pays up to $1500 I believe for install of a wall charger so might be worth it...

I'm on the south shore of Montreal, with P308. Hoping for delivery in March... seem reasonable?

Correction, they pay 50% of your total expenses, with a maximum of 1000$ (EVSE + electrician fees, BEFORE taxes). That means that you will get 50% back if your total expenses are at or below 2000$.

Sly

- - - Updated - - -

(Bolding mine.)

The problem with Tesla's HPWC is that it's not compatible with J1772 EV's right? (LEAF, Focus EV, VOLT) ??

Instead of buying a Tesla's HPWC, why not buying a Sun Country CS-90 (70 Amps) or CS-100 (80 Amps) ?

The CS-90 is 2099$ ... it's more than the HPWC (1300$ I think), but then you have a commercial grade EVSE, and since it's J1772, you will be able to use it with all EV's (friends or wife's EV.

In Quebec it's interesting, since almost half of the costs will be covered by the Provincial government (it's CSA approved and it's J1772) ...

Anyway, that's what I installed ... it's overkilled for my current EV (a Focus EV which is limited to 30A) ... but the EVSE «downgrade» to the current required by the car ...

Anyway, as you can see, I'm ready to receive my Model S !! :)

Now, my question is the following: how easy is it to use the J1772 adapter (since I would need to use it everyday) ... how much time does it add to the «connecting» operation?

Maybe as much as several seconds.

and if he bought a second dedicated J1772 adapter to keep in the garage? I guess if you could keep it permanently attached to the EVSE that would cut down on the connecting time.

I was originally thinking that I would prefer it if they can convince the government to qualify Tesla's HPWC for the rebate program because if i can get a $1000 rebate for it then it would be worth it to have the dedicated connector with extra juice for emergencies and visitors (restricted to Tesla visits though). The last point now makes me think that either I should probably just get a couple of well placed NEMA 14-50 outlets installed or get an J1772 EVSE and a keep a dedicated adapter attached to it for the daily use for my car. This would probably be just as cost effective and more flexible for visitors.

Maybe not even that. If you don't need to take the adapter with you (or buy a spare), you could simply leave the adapter on the J1772 handle at home and plug it in just as quickly as you would a Tesla cable or wall supply.

Not sure if the instructions on the production adapters have changed - new Model S owners can confirm - but, as per this, the adapter ought to be plugged into the car first before plugging the J1772 handle into it:

J1772 adapter, charging practicalities - Page 7

(See the fine print on the adapter in the second pic)

Not sure if the instructions on the production adapters have changed - new Model S owners can confirm - but, as per this, the adapter ought to be plugged into the car first before plugging the J1772 handle into it:

J1772 adapter, charging practicalities - Page 7

(See the fine print on the adapter in the second pic)

guess i'll have to get this confirmed as being a required procedure before i finalize my wiring ... or else just go with a new 100 amp panel in the garage start out with a 14-50 adapter and figure out the rest over time. My wife and I are still discussing her move to EV driving and we can probably wait at least another year when the lease on her car is up.

guess i'll have to get this confirmed as being a required procedure before i finalize my wiring ...
We have discussed this in relation to the Roadster J1772 adapter. If you are going to unplug the car while it is still charging then you must remove the J1172 first, and then remove the adapter. However, if the car is not charging (either it completed it's charge during the night or you stopped charging from the touchscreen or mobile app) then you can just remove the the adapter with the J1772 connected. There is no harm in leaving the adapter on the J1772 end as long as you make sure the car isn't charging when you unplug it.

That being said I don't yet know how the Model S locking mechanism works - can you physically remove the adapter with the J1772 still on it or is there some unlock procedure you need to do?

just a question. have Canadian reservation holders been asked to finalize yet and in that case when? just wondering since the non North American reservation holders have not been asked to finalize as far as I understand......... thanks