Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki Model S Delivery Update

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Ordered on 1/30/2021 RN 11444 MSM LR with white interior. Started with March 1 - 31 delivery then changed to March and then blank. I was wondering if my Cybertruck would come before my Model S. But today has given me hope that I might be driving my Model S before Memorial day.

When the refresh was announced on the 27th of January, I thought Elon said production already started and deliveries would start in February.
He did.

1617764666022.png

• Informative
Reactions: elguapo
or, a perpetual optimist. the man ain’t perfect, but he’s passionate about what he does.

He's the CEO of the most valuable automotive brand in the world by far. Making statements like "our most expensive products just got a big update and are shipping in a few weeks" to investors who collectively have tens of billions at stake is not acceptable.

Depending on how material the statements are and if investors made trades based on this guidance, he could be liable for another round of lawsuits as he 1) made matter of fact statements regarding major product releases 2) stated vehicles were already being manufactured and were to be sold in weeks 3) did not publicly announce any supply chain or other issues that would impact the previous statement with a significant impact on revenue.

IDK - I wouldnt be shocked if Tesla gets sued once these bozos on Wall St figure out that he just went through a 6 month delay without saying a peep. Or, they may be so happy about the 3/Y sales that they couldn't care less.

A few weeks ago, I switched from a plaid plus to a plaid and I'm happy with my decision. Maybe I'll upgrade to a plaid plus when it comes out but I'll have to see if it's worth it. Not only is the plaid plus $30k more, I'll also end up taking a $20k- 30k hit on my plaid. To justify the $50k-60k cost to upgrade, the plaid plus will need to offer more than just a couple tenths faster and an extra 130 miles of range. Yes the plus will have the new 4680 batteries and some of the other technology discussed on battery day. The plaid plus sounds promising but it might not be in my driveway until 2023.
I switched to plaid simply because I don't have the patience to wait until mid-2022 which could easily spill into 2023. Also who knows what other EVs will be available by then.
Did Tesla downgrade your order or did you place a new order for the Plaid? & cancel the Plaid +...?
Was your Plaid (+) ordered after the refresh announcement? Or when it was announced on battery day (9/22/20)?

"Hi - this is the Tesla Order Support Team. We are currently waiting for a VIN to be assigned to your order and we will reach out with updates as they are made available. If you have any questions, please respond to this text or call our team at ________"

Received @ ~5 today in TX (similar to the TX txt last Wed end of quarter)
LR gray, white interior, upgraded wheels, no FSD
ordered end of feb
acct '4-11 wks from order'

Did Tesla downgrade your order or did you place a new order for the Plaid? & cancel the Plaid +...?
Was your Plaid (+) ordered after the refresh announcement? Or when it was announced on battery day (9/22/20)?
I was told to cancel the plaid plus order (RN1139) and place a new order for the plaid (RN1146) which I did. My plaid order was originally placed on 09/22/20 and was automatically changed to a plaid plus in late January.

They really need to work on their communication if this is the case. Others have clearly been instructed NOT to cancel their original Plaid orders and that it would be converted to a Plaid+ model.
Which is still true if you want a Plaid+ (and save yourself $10k, or even $12k if you ordered FSD). Ordered placed for the original Plaid pre-announcement in late-Jan have automatically converted to Plaid+.

But if you want a "regular" Plaid (without the 4860 cells and >.500-mile range), meaning the one announced in late-Jan with 18650 cells and supposedly shipping soon (i.e. this year), Drew is saying he was told to cancel his Plaid+ order to place a new Plaid order.

Reactions: fakerlind
Production could be delayed due to shortage of chips:(
I'm calling fowl on that. Shortage again doesn't mean none. And we have plenty of AMD chips laptops things w the same chips in our warehouse coming in each and every day. We had about 5 days worth of delay in this whole chip shortage nonsense. Shortages don't mean none. And don't mean a full shutdown.

I just watched a video on the automation of the factory. The S line wasn't as automated as the 3/Y line. Where they can spit out a ton of cars a week. The S line apparently takes 3-5 days for a car to make it through. That being said. I bet they took this time to automate more of the main GA line, ended up hitting a snag, and are still retooling. Def not any sort of chip shortage would cause zero production. Nor a yoke. Nor a shifting mechanism. Something with the line is causing this delay.

“Estimated Delivery: -“ Be careful what you wish for because the next update may be Febtober or Nevruary.

My guess is these “July” updates are for Wall Street. That is, they’re trying to telegraph, for whatever reason, no/few MS/MX deliveries in Q2. By “dripping” it out here, they can dampen some of the volatility versus just dropping a bomb on earnings. Or, they can give a more optimistic update on earnings but set expectations low now knowing analysts all follow these forums.

“Estimated Delivery: -“ Be careful what you wish for because the next update may be Febtober or Nevruary.

My guess is these “July” updates are for Wall Street. That is, they’re trying to telegraph, for whatever reason, no/few MS/MX deliveries in Q2. By “dripping” it out here, they can dampen some of the volatility versus just dropping a bomb on earnings. Or, they can give a more optimistic update on earnings but set expectations low now knowing analysts all follow these forums.

If it were for Wall Street, Elon would do that call he’s been promising.

Reactions: aerodyne