Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki Model S Delivery Update

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Speaking of PPF, anyone knows good PPF place in Chicago area?
Am I the only person here that hates PPF? I have had Expel, Stek and a couple of other high end films. I have had nothing but terrible experiences with them. I have had a few cars now with ppf coverings and they have all been disasters. I purchased my Model S P90DL from a private party that came with PPF. It looked awful and I decided to have it removed. Unfortunately, several sections of the car were permanently damaged when the film came off. After removal, several sections had areas of missing paint that looked like small chips everywhere.

I put Stek on my first Model 3. It wasn’t any easier to wash, and the film would actually stain and get oxidized. The problem is you can’t just polish it to correct imperfections. If you barely rub up against a surface the film tears and needs to be redone. If you have a painted surface that scratched because of an incident, the marks can usually just be polished out. Give me the ability to polish and do paint correction any day!

Some people swear by it and maybe I haven’t had the right product or installation shop, but in my book it seems to be an expensive scam.

PFS in Santa Ana quoted $5000 for full gloss ppf. I've seen their work, it's top notch. What I wonder though, is if sanding it with 400 wet, adding 2-3 coats of clear, then color sanding and polishing wouldn't yield a better result for similar cost.

My order page is back to normal...

Also not a PPF fan. The only paint protection I will do is OptiCoat.
Honestly, I only plan to wax the car, and keep it out of the sun/salt/sand as much as possible. My last car lasted 27 years like that. Sure it soaked up a ton of rock chips, but the paint still looked great.

Chicago Auto Pros in Glenview did my S in 2016. Worth every penny. Looks just like new 65k miles. Even through a corn field after the eclipse in 2017. Even through hail etc. Lots of highway miles.
Auto Image (in Barrington, IL) is another good installer. Most of the guys at Chicago Auto pros initially worked for Auto Image. I got my Model S done there.. great quality work.

Am I the only person here that hates PPF? I have had Expel, Stek and a couple of other high end films. I have had nothing but terrible experiences with them. I have had a few cars now with ppf coverings and they have all been disasters. I purchased my Model S P90DL from a private party that came with PPF. It looked awful and I decided to have it removed. Unfortunately, several sections of the car were permanently damaged when the film came off. After removal, several sections had areas of missing paint that looked like small chips everywhere.

I put Stek on my first Model 3. It wasn’t any easier to wash, and the film would actually stain and get oxidized. The problem is you can’t just polish it to correct imperfections. If you barely rub up against a surface the film tears and needs to be redone. If you have a painted surface that scratched because of an incident, the marks can usually just be polished out. Give me the ability to polish and do paint correction any day!

Some people swear by it and maybe I haven’t had the right product or installation shop, but in my book it seems to be an expensive scam.
It depends on installer... they have to do all paint corrections before installing PPF. PPF and Ceramic coating though provide similar protections (up to 50%), both of them together definitely provides great protection... Yes, we cannot take it through automatic/touchless wash machines.. it needs care and feed in terms of handwash. I don't use any polishing material on it. Just plain water and handwash.. car looks new after every wash.. did multiple ski trips and harsh weather... no degradation of film or ceramic coating.

It kind of stings when your order says July but new plaid orders say June.
Sent an email to my SA, his mgr, and the RM about this. I think they understand our point here and our frustrations on Tesla's entire bs, unprofessional process. Why does my Tesla account say August delivery from when I ordered almost 4 months ago vs. estimated June delivery for anyone who reserves a MS Plaid today? WTF? We know they're being dishonest (perhaps both for my order or not but almost definitely for new orders today). I received a nice email back, but not sure if they'll actually do anything about it.

Last edited:
Reactions: Leojsayta
Auto image Barrington. Speak to Jeff (owner). Extremely high quality place. I'm super OCD and he has never disappointed
Same with me... Can't agree more about Jeff. Jeff is a great guy to do business with. The best part i liked in the whole process is, he carries us with the work as they make progress... so, you know exactly what you are getting for your money.

I am in the same boat. I never did full or partial PPF on any of my cars- ie. BMW F86, GTR, R8, F Type R, this list goes on. It will only "help" in selling value if you're willing to spend the time doing a private party transaction. Personally, private party sales are a waste of time and not worth the headache. Dealers don't care much about chips/scratches as long as they're not too big and in terms of substantial damage- I have only known one person who paid for a full PPF and got their moneys worth from a falling tree branch. I am more inclined to do a PPF just so car washing saves time and is easier. In the end, it's your property and you should do what makes you happy.
I have done a lot of research PPF and ceramic coating and have decided to do full PPF Expel Stealth with a ceramic coating. Will protect and provide a black matte finish. The thing to keep in mind is, yes it works and will protect the cars paint and with a ceramic coating will look showroom new for a very long time. The down side is, this is purely cosmetic and a complete sunken cost that you will not recover when you sell the vehicle. I plan to keep my new model S for a long time so am willing to invest in protecting the paint and adding an amazing sound system.

Reactions: GrnSqrl
It depends on installer... they have to do all paint corrections before installing PPF. PPF and Ceramic coating though provide similar protections (up to 50%), both of them together definitely provides great protection... Yes, we cannot take it through automatic/touchless wash machines.. it needs care and feed in terms of handwash. I don't use any polishing material on it. Just plain water and handwash.. car looks new after every wash.. did multiple ski trips and harsh weather... no degradation of film or ceramic coating.
I guess it just comes down to where do you find the protection is enough.

1. Paint the metal to prevent rust.
2. Clear coat the paint to protect the paint that is protecting the metal.
3. PPF the clear coat to protect the clear coat that is protecting the paint that is protecting the metal.
4. Ceramic coat the PPF to protect the PPF that is protecting the clear coat that is protecting the paint that is protecting the metal.

Drive up hype on plaid event, show plaid availability immediately in June, and watch orders pour in. Then change delivery date to whenever.
1621618211579.gif

I guess it just comes down to where do you find the protection is enough.

1. Paint the metal to prevent rust.
2. Clear coat the paint to protect the paint that is protecting the metal.
3. PPF the clear coat to protect the clear coat that is protecting the paint that is protecting the metal.
4. Ceramic coat the PPF to protect the PPF that is protecting the clear coat that is protecting the paint that is protecting the metal.
Agree.. at the end of the day, it's individual choice on how they want to take care of their baby. Simple clear quote and paint will have minimal protection and fade easily when your car is parked outside most of the time... it may work well if you have a proper garage.