Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki Model S Delivery Update

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Pretty sure they're ventilated (like cooled a/c) seats through the perforations; that's what all other auto mfgr's do with their ventilated seats. It better be ventilated (cooled) seats; otherwise, I'm not taking delivery for a South Florida car without that. My daughter's $45k Acura RDX A-Spec has ventilated seats as does my wife's Land Rover.
lbowroom said:
I know Elon said ventilated, but ventilated and perforated aren’t the same thing. I’m assuming the vegan leather is just perforated and there is no forced air ventilation
The seats have full ventilation with 3 different fan settings.
Check out Brooks video at 19:48

The heated windshield is still listed as a feature on the website.
One more “not available at delivery but activated later via OTA” feature? Boy I sure hope features like this are just disabled and not absent (hardware-wise) in these early builds. It would suck so hard to wait so long to get a car only to see all these additions in newer cars literally a few months later…

Reactions: Drew-MS
Yoke attachment for city driving, yoke for highway…

a 3D printed one would be a good start..
And if the yoke attachment doesn’t look OEM, I found a solution 😄

Attachments

• D68EFDF0-74CA-4A66-86B5-64BF479B4913.jpeg
    D68EFDF0-74CA-4A66-86B5-64BF479B4913.jpeg
    114.5 KB · Views: 63
Fellow Florida resident,
I COMPLETELY agree with everything you just said. I just can't get that power curve out of my mind. talk about area under the curve! What curve...LOL! I peak power all the time (except lower speeds). I said this the other day I never thought this was possible to have that kind of instantaneous power. This is a gamechanger, and an engineering marvel. Not sure everyone fully realizes this yet. This car is going to devastate a lot of multi-million dollar cars.

Also, good observation on the power curve at the lower speeds.
Don't we still have to warm the battery to get that much power? I mean what's the point of all that power if you gotta wait 50 minutes for it to appear. I am wondering how safe is it if one constantly keeps the car in Plaid Mode. Wonder if anyone has ever kept one's car in Ludicrous+ mode constantly.

I don’t know if they have shipped any from Fremont yet. I think all deliveries have been in Fremont so far correct?
Idk if there's confirmation that none have actually left Fremont.

SA laughed at me basically. Lol. He said based on Elon's comments about production he's not expecting to see any for a few months at least.

There was one parked up front that was chrome deleted got my hopes up for just a second lol.

20210612_123645.jpg

Bad news LR folks.

My delivery date just got pushed to “July” this morning after staying at “June” for a while.

I think I’m probably one of the first in line for the LR.

[Pre refresh order, RN1143, Picking up from Fremont]

I don't think anyone here expected a LR in June. I think they haven't even finished designing the car yet. I view the 25 "delivered" cars as prototypes for beta testing.

Don't we still have to warm the battery to get that much power? I mean what's the point of all that power if you gotta wait 50 minutes for it to appear. I am wondering how safe is it if one constantly keeps the car in Plaid Mode. Wonder if anyone has ever kept one's car in Ludicrous+ mode constantly.
In my P100D, even when the battery wasn’t warmed up, the car was still crazy fast in just regular Ludicrous. Waiting the extra 50 min until the battery was fully warmed up would make the car faster by maybe a few tenths of a second (if that.)

A few corrections to this.

Not “all” modern cars have this but it’s pretty common. But, when people say “variable ratio” there are really two different systems. There is this one and then there is a fully variable system. That one actually uses a device to literally change the ratio based on parameters such as speed, etc. It doesn’t consist of a rack with variable spaced teeth, it consists of a set of gears which can instantly change the angle of steering vs. angle of wheel input at any time. It’s been around for a number of years. Audi and BMW use it.

some say it’s odd feeling, others don’t mind.

The bmw system was pretty bad so I didn’t bother mentioning it. Needless to say the Model S does not have this.

Reactions: HumanInput
I believe i have you beat kind sir
I've got a lower RN number as well and ordered 4 days after you. But who among us who are pre-refresh purchasers haven't been told "you have priority once the cars are ready to be delivered"? Given that subsequent RNs have dates and I don't, I take no stock in promised timelines. The many people who've said that it gets real when a VIN is issued have a point.

Yes, it does depend on the take rate. But whether that is done is up to Tesla.

More recently, they have been going with ranges appropriate for the wheels with independent EPA tests for each.

But right now we only have the minimum (?) value (348-mile, and only from the Monroney, not from the car), anyway. And that is the opposite of what you would expect with that EPA rule.

Agreed. IMO, EPA validated test data plus SMT data is the only way to get ground truth on this. Max range would not be that important to me with fast charging speeds...

Reactions: AlanSubie4Life
In my P100D, even when the battery wasn’t warmed up, the car was still crazy fast in just regular Ludicrous. Waiting the extra 50 min until the battery was fully warmed up would make the car faster by maybe a few tenths of a second (if that.)
That's great but it'll be cool to know what's the 0-60 without putting the car in Plaid mode. Kinda frustrating because I don't know the 0-60 of my 2020 performance S in Ludicrous mode and frankly putting the car in Ludicrous+ is a pain and not practical at all of you are trying to show the launch to someone. Cheetah mode and Ludicrous+ is basically useless. I was hoping Plaid won't need 50 minutes to heat up the battery but it seems like that isn't the case. That's why I am interested in seeing if someone actually kept their S in Ludicrous+ mode all the time.

@omarsultan You have been invaluable over the last few days & I can’t say thanks enough. Your incredible generosity & kindness say a lot, especially with no attempts to monetize or gain likes/subscribers/whatever.

I’m curious if there’s anything we can do to say thanks? Maybe a charitable cause you care about that we can support to show some appreciation?

EPA validated test data plus SMT data is the only way to get ground truth on this
Yes. SMT or other CAN access is the only way to know your actual capacity, short of VERY careful trip meter measurements correlated to rated mile use (which are only accurate to about 1%, when done correctly). The rating and constant method only provides a value that is the minimum of the degradation threshold and the nominal full pack. So if you’re over the threshold you don’t see the extra capacity (as we have confirmed recently for Model 3). But usually that is just a couple kWh at most. NBD.

And in terms of general design capacity - yes, EPA data is key. Will be a few months before it shows up I would guess.

So just getting the max rated range and constant would be a good first step, short of that SMT data. We currently kind of lack both, ground-truthed from a vehicle of known type.

Yeah, the max range is really mostly a curiosity, but does determine the pack size (or the reverse, I guess). Just a datapoint! In reality you use just 60-70% of it most of the time.

Last edited:
Reactions: aerodyne
That's great but it'll be cool to know what's the 0-60 without putting the car in Plaid mode. Kinda frustrating because I don't know the 0-60 of my 2020 performance S in Ludicrous mode and frankly putting the car in Ludicrous+ is a pain and not practical at all of you are trying to show the launch to someone. Cheetah mode and Ludicrous+ is basically useless. I was hoping Plaid won't need 50 minutes to heat up the battery but it seems like that isn't the case. That's why I am interested in seeing if someone actually kept their S in Ludicrous+ mode all the time.
I was under the impression the Plaid does NOT need 50 min to warm up. All power pretty much right away.

Reactions: sflgator
I don't think anyone here expected a LR in June. I think they haven't even finished designing the car yet. I view the 25 "delivered" cars as prototypes for beta testing.

Probably.

Maybe, the first 25 were just hand made and not from the production line.
Wow, you guys joined the forum the same day, what a coincidence.

I was under the impression the Plaid does NOT need 50 min to warm up. All power pretty much right away.
Yeah, it certainly looked like from the Tesla test drive videos from the Plaid Delivery Event, the driver just simply put it into Drag Strip Mode (already set to Plaid Mode) and waited maybe 5-10 sec for it to be ready and just hit the accelerator full throttle. I would imagine that just leaving it set as default to Plaid Mode for full power whether you use it or not is just fine (as long as it just stays in that mode without having to switch it every time...can't imagine tthey would make you switch it into Plaid mode every time).