Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki Model S Delivery Update

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
1623737926558.png

There are essentially two weeks left for the month and Tesla's configurator still says June for new Plaid orders 🤥🤥🤥
Two possibilities. The order book for Plaid is so small they can fill those AND new orders in two weeks, not counting the few configurations that are supply constrainted. Or, the June delivery date is about as meaningful as the Feb/March dates those of us that ordered Oct-Jan were given.

Guess which possibility is more likely?

Two possibilities. The order book for Plaid is so small they can fill those AND new orders in two weeks, not counting the few configurations that are supply constrainted. Or, the June delivery date is about as meaningful as the Feb/March dates those of us that ordered Oct-Jan were given.

Guess which possibility is more likely?
You mean I didn't actually receive my LR on Feb 14 - Mar 14?!?!?!

Seriously though, I think it took until about March 20 for my wife to agree we weren't getting the car any time soon. Always the optimist. Fast forward to today and she thinks it'll be Feb 2022. She reads this thread and has appropriately broken spirits now.

We already had the official data on Model S LR a couple days ago (it was also in the news that it went to 405 rated miles, lower than originally expected I guess).

As far as I can tell the other two listed vehicles are the prior version of the vehicle; not Plaid. I say this because their efficiencies match exactly with EPA tests from 2020. (You can look them up in the iaspub page, and EPA data file, all numbers match.)

Those more familiar with Model S can confirm these are the normal ranges and efficiencies for the prior version of Model S. As I have said, I don’t really follow Model S so not super familiar with the ranges...so I had to look it up to check and this is my conclusion.

Nice find! Does this means the battery pack is over 110kWh? @AlanSubie4Life
No I don’t see any evidence of that yet. The LR data (which is new) implies around 101kWh pack (within a couple %). (0.885*405mi*33705Wh/Ge/ 120mi/Ge)

Maybe charging efficiency is slightly improved and it’s actually 103kWh, who knows. But in that ballpark.

This should really all be posted in the other thread. 😢

Adding:
There must be some efficiency improvements, just the aero should help some. It also has the heat pump but I don’t think they run the EPA tests running the heater
I agree that the comparison to the 2020 Model S LR+ is a little surprising. Are the tires going to be similarly equipped, though? (I don't know the details of the LR+ config in 2020. The new car, even the LR, probably puts down more power and may not be equipped with super efficient tires, so the 2020 LR may be a better comparison (or maybe there is no good comparison). That would be my guess. Yet, it still gets a little more range than the old vehicle. If true, that would be a win.)

Regarding EPA tests and the heater, they do run tests with the heater. But it's complicated, and interestingly the adjustment factor (which accounts for 5-cycle results) is 0.757 for 2021 Model S LR, whereas it was already 0.743 for the 2020 Model S LR+. So there was relatively little gain in the actual test results due to the heat pump effect on heating efficiency (about 2% gain in range, all else being equal).

Last edited: