Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki Model S Delivery Update

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
@omarsultan I want you to know I and everyone here really appreciate you and all the info you have/are providing. Just FYI if this link works, Jalopnik is using your first video a few hours into ownership to paint a picture about the “Joke” (yoke). I was pretty against the yoke at first but it’s growing on me and I understand there will be a learning curve which your videos have prepared me for. Again keep posting, I know it’s taking up a ton of your time!

Well not exactly a refresh Model S in the driveway but was excited to get this today! Install happening later this month.

Attachments

• 37BD100D-317F-4296-9BB3-CCEF76A63354.jpeg
    37BD100D-317F-4296-9BB3-CCEF76A63354.jpeg
    398.7 KB · Views: 82
Did I hurt your feelings or something? I just pointed out a couple of items that I noticed pretty quickly regarding fit and finish. Not sure why that made you cry lol. It's not that big of a deal but figured others might be interested.
People are getting overly sensitive tonight. I guess Tesla is driving people over the edge.

In reality there are handful of things that show that their SW wasn't quite ready. Screen tilt is listed on the website and doesn't work as of now (awaiting sw update), audio on rear screen can't be played by itself, no way to connect Bluetooth devices on rear screen (may be it works but TeslaRaj couldn't get it to work with his air pods), noise cancelation isn't active as of now. Lastly, this isn't Plaid specific of course, FSD. Whatever happened to the beta or the FSD update button.
Some YouTuber posted a video with 0-60 timings on Tesla's website excludes roll out from Plaid's numbers but doesn't exclude it from LR numbers to show the gap is bigger than normal. Now I'm aware Tesla might software limit LR even further to keep this gap but it'll still be a bull crap practice and dishonest advertising.
I'm also sour I don't have a VIN yet 😏
I think it’s better that Tesla started deliveries June 10th instead of more delays.
Even if a few things weren’t 100% ready, sw updates will be coming. The cars are 95% there, they look beautiful, and they drive great.

It didn’t hurt my feelings at all. You can complain all you want about whatever is bothering you. I just think that if you are going to complain about something, you should be personally affected by it. Therefore, if you want to complain about the terrible communication or poor customer service you have personally experienced, most of us here can sympathize with you. We are all experiencing the same issues.

You complained about early beta issues on a car you don’t own yet. If you owned this car, I would also sympathize. I just think that @omarsultan and @Atomadam are the only people on this forum that should be complaining about the issues you spoke of because they are personally affected. Simple as that!
I complained about early beta issues and missing features. We both know there are countless things to complain about here and rightfully so. I have ordered the car and am excited to get my hands on it, however, I won't be an apologist for Tesla here. I don't have to have the car to be able to point out incomplete sw. I also don't have to be personally affected to point out the shady behavior Tesla has displayed over the last several months. I think it's constructive to point out the shortcomings here rather then be in awe of anything Tesla throws your way.
I shouldn't be mentioning these concerns in a delivery thread though, that part I take responsibility for but all the concerns are valid.
Now we should concentrate on deliveries and the amazing info Omar and Atom are sharing with us.

@omarsultan I want you to know I and everyone here really appreciate you and all the info you have/are providing. Just FYI if this link works, Jalopnik is using your first video a few hours into ownership to paint a picture about the “Joke” (yoke). I was pretty against the yoke at first but it’s growing on me and I understand there will be a learning curve which your videos have prepared me for. Again keep posting, I know it’s taking up a ton of your time!

I sincerely hope the Tesla execs and designers are truly paying attention on this subject and take actual MS Plaid & LR owners/drivers feedback on the yoke seriously! I hope they learn from their mistakes and will soon offer a swap to a regular round steering wheel some time in the next couple months. I can just see all the cumbersome yoke videos and accidents about to happen and flood the Internet.

If the speaker isn't close to the microphone then when you produce a sound that's 180 degrees out of phase with respect to what the microphone picked up it will no longer be 180 degrees out of phase when it reaches your eardrum. If the speaker IS close to the microphone then it doesn't matter how far it is from your eardrum because the noise and the anti-noise will remain out of phase no matter how far they have to travel to your eardrum.

That is not how it works. That, and we have computers now they are pretty good at calculating when sound will arrive at a certain point. I believe the MS has one or two of these computers. It is the future now, you know.

It seems to challenge physics that the battery could output as much at 34 percent as 100 when it literally screams to release some juice.

I can understand that they've managed to extract a higher power due to higher pack voltage but in no way can the power remain constant as SoC drops.

I think this is just puffery aimed at emphasizing it's much improved.

@omarsultan couple more questions for you when you feel like replying:

1) Does your plaid have the ability of driving with pretty much only the accelerator pedal like the model 3? My model S has the older hardware that requires the brake pedal to come to a complete stop even though it slows down fast when I lift my foot off the accelerator pedal.

2) How is the overall build quality? Any squeaks, creaks or rattles? My car sadly had multiple visits to the service center to resolve a few rattles.

Thanks again.
I’m pretty sure it would come to a complete stop if you turned off ‘creep.’ Your model s

Reactions: EndlessPlaid
I’m sorry, but you’re going to have to study up, you’re out of your depth when it comes to understanding phase and amplitude.

Not to stray off the topic of the thread [1] but I think you're neglecting some important bits of reality on this.

The basic issue is that there's a bunch of noise outside the car, including some generated by the car, that passes through (for example) the windows, and you have to listen to it, right?

1.png

... so one thing that Tesla can do is have better sound-insulating materials, such as "acoustic glass", to attenuate those sounds:

2.png

... that's OK, but not good enough, because this is an expensive car and if you can't hear a mosquito fart while driving 100mph, what's the point? So they're going to cancel the sound. ANC isn't anything new, and it's come a long way in the last couple of decades but basically if you have a sound wave, and add to it an identical but inverted sound wave, the result is very quiet [2]:

3.png

... if we take the black wave and invert it, then add the inverted wave to the original one, we get zero (let's ignore my sloppy image editing).

That's great, and for that to work, we need to get exactly the set of frequencies that you are hearing - as you say, right next to your eardrum - then invert them and play them back with perfect fidelity at the exact instant that the actual waves hit your eardrum.

That would be cool, but it's also physically impossible, because:
a) The speakers generating the anti-noise are some distance (maybe half a meter? less? more?) from your eardrums, and
b) There's additional delay because the DSP has to process the sound and then poop it back out to the car's amplifiers.

There's additional things at play here; the DSP, being clever, is also going to have some awareness of sounds that the speakers are not able to faithfully reproduce, so it may attempt to ignore those or treat them differently. It may also be on the lookout for specific frequency bands or types of sounds, e.g. emergency sirens, car horns, and people speaking, and not attempt to cancel them. As others have noted, some types of noise are relatively easy to cancel; others are much harder. Let's ignore all of that and just look at our basic oversimplification:

1623728755737.png

If we take the sounds right at your ears, send them back to a computer, have it invert them, then play them back from speakers that are half a meter from your ears, what you'll hear is a muddled mess because the anti-noise that reaches your ear is actually the inverse of something you heard a couple of milliseconds ago. That doesn't seem like a lot, but what you end up with is weirdly white noise with odd gurgling and jingling sounds, and other effects that you don't want.

If the microphone is just before the speaker, then that delay is minimized (and, being known, can be accounted for) and the speakers are more likely to play something that's out of phase with the reality of now, rather than the reality of a couple of milliseconds ago, relative to your ears:

1623729106204.png

This all seems very excessive so I'm going to stop now but ... I'm going to speculate that if there are microphones on the seats near your shoulders, they're not doing the primary work of active noise cancellation because they're on the wrong side of the speakers to be useful. They could be used to help the system distinguish sounds that shouldn't be canceled (e.g. people speaking), or be for something else altogether.

[1] who am I kidding?
[2] This is some high school level oversimplification but it works well enough. We're not going to the moon here.

Not to stray off the topic of the thread [1] but I think you're neglecting some important bits of reality on this.

The basic issue is that there's a bunch of noise outside the car, including some generated by the car, that passes through (for example) the windows, and you have to listen to it, right?

View attachment 673498

... so one thing that Tesla can do is have better sound-insulating materials, such as "acoustic glass", to attenuate those sounds:

View attachment 673511

... that's OK, but not good enough, because this is an expensive car and if you can't hear a mosquito fart while driving 100mph, what's the point? So they're going to cancel the sound. ANC isn't anything new, and it's come a long way in the last couple of decades but basically if you have a sound wave, and add to it an identical but inverted sound wave, the result is very quiet [2]:

View attachment 673514

... if we take the black wave and invert it, then add the inverted wave to the original one, we get zero (let's ignore my sloppy image editing).

That's great, and for that to work, we need to get exactly the set of frequencies that you are hearing - as you say, right next to your eardrum - then invert them and play them back with perfect fidelity at the exact instant that the actual waves hit your eardrum.

That would be cool, but it's also physically impossible, because:
a) The speakers generating the anti-noise are some distance (maybe half a meter? less? more?) from your eardrums, and
b) There's additional delay because the DSP has to process the sound and then poop it back out to the car's amplifiers.

There's additional things at play here; the DSP, being clever, is also going to have some awareness of sounds that the speakers are not able to faithfully reproduce, so it may attempt to ignore those or treat them differently. It may also be on the lookout for specific frequency bands or types of sounds, e.g. emergency sirens, car horns, and people speaking, and not attempt to cancel them. As others have noted, some types of noise are relatively easy to cancel; others are much harder. Let's ignore all of that and just look at our basic oversimplification:

View attachment 673519
If we take the sounds right at your ears, send them back to a computer, have it invert them, then play them back from speakers that are half a meter from your ears, what you'll hear is a muddled mess because the anti-noise that reaches your ear is actually the inverse of something you heard a couple of milliseconds ago. That doesn't seem like a lot, but what you end up with is weirdly white noise with odd gurgling and jingling sounds, and other effects that you don't want.

If the microphone is just before the speaker, then that delay is minimized (and, being known, can be accounted for) and the speakers are more likely to play something that's out of phase with the reality of now, rather than the reality of a couple of milliseconds ago, relative to your ears:

View attachment 673520

This all seems very excessive so I'm going to stop now but ... I'm going to speculate that if there are microphones on the seats near your shoulders, they're not doing the primary work of active noise cancellation because they're on the wrong side of the speakers to be useful. They could be used to help the system distinguish sounds that shouldn't be canceled (e.g. people speaking), or be for something else altogether.

[1] who am I kidding?
[2] This is some high school level oversimplification but it works well enough. We're not going to the moon here.
I understand my explanation was far from complete, but accurate. It’s takes at least a few pages if not a textbook for a more thorough understanding.

Reactions: EndlessPlaid

Thanks. I saw the article earlier--dude needs to get his clicks. Guess it was too hard to find me. 😏