Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki Model S Delivery Update

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Actually, truly uneducated people make assumptions about people they don’t know (and certainly don’t know the finances and investment portfolio and gains of). Most would agree if you own shares in TSLA as well as AMZN, APPL, NVDA, FB, SQ and dozens more (and all bought at significantly lower levels than current), you’re likely doing quite well. So perhaps you should just stick to what you actually know about yourself instead of making foolish and uneducated assumptions about other people?

No offense but I have no idea who those people you mentioned are nor do I care. My money and how I pay for my $146k MS Plaid and all my other vehicles are nobody’s business. I certainly didn’t solicit your financial advice dude nor would I.
Wait, weren’t you the fella that told me about a hundred pages back that I need to talk to an Accountant because I was crazy and can’t afford a Plaid if I don’t put $20,000 down on my lease? If it wasn’t you, then please accept my apologies. If it was you, then you need a towel to wipe that egg off your face, sir. ;)

I know the wider contact patch makes a big difference with the additional drag, but has anyone done range comparisons with aero hubcaps on and off?

Edit: I just looked it up on the Model 3. Car and Driver tested this and it looks like aero hubcaps increased range at 50mph by 10 miles. So, the additional drag from wider and softer tires is definitely a larger factor.

View attachment 674163
Yes, and to remind everyone of just how important wheels are to aero: the top of your tire/wheel is impacting the air flow at TWICE the speed of your car. Thus, at 80 mph the relative wind at the wheel/tire top is 160 mph. Aerodynamic drag is a big deal for wheels, and why Tesla spends to much time and effort on their design.

Lastly, a huge conflating factor on the C&D test: it was on an oval track with dozens or hundreds of turns. That's quite the influence on aero as turns likely add to drag and the positive impact of the wheel covers may have been diminished as a result. It's a test artifact which skews the test's accuracy . . . .

Reactions: Danlbrau and EVonly
yea i am a little surprised its down that much but hopefully more runs are on the way
Wow, this a tough crowd. How many new cars with license plates have you seen get into the 9’s??? Did you notice ‘huh,what’ reaction time? Anyone notice the date? June 17th, what is he driving a DeLorean. OK, maybe the timekeeper got the dates wrong, I hear they drink a lot in Sonoma.

Does it matter that I'm on the east coast? My SA in DC has been MIA for several months doesn't respond to calls or texts .Ive been relegated to call other showrooms to just get conflicting info from other SAs

Since he is in freemont does he have better info than others? I may give him call tomorrow
I'm on the East coast as well. That's exactly what happened with me; I couldn't get a human on the phone (including my prior SA) at my local Tesla stores.
Hugo was awesome, very helpful, and he provided me with a SA based in Vegas. She's friendly, but young and doesn't know anything more than we do.
It's not that Hugo has better info than others, but he's a genuine person who seems to know his sh*t.. He's the best contact I've spoken to so far. Most important, if you leave a message, he'll call you back.

Last edited:
Yes, and to remind everyone of just how important wheels are to aero: the top of your tire/wheel is impacting the air flow at TWICE the speed of your car. Thus, at 80 mph the relative wind at the wheel/tire top is 160 mph. Aerodynamic drag is a big deal for wheels, and why Tesla spends to much time and effort on their design.

Lastly, a huge conflating factor on the C&D test: it was on an oval track with dozens or hundreds of turns. That's quite the influence on aero as turns likely add to drag and the positive impact of the wheel covers may have been diminished as a result. It's a test artifact which skews the test's accuracy . . . .
Good thing Teslas aren’t open wheel

Does anyone know how long Tesla will hold a car? Getting a little nervous since my pre-refresh date just went blank after being June/July for a while - and I’m out of town 6/24-6/28… Middle of the country (Colorado) so imagine transit time could be short.

Reactions: EndlessPlaid
I know the wider contact patch makes a big difference with the additional drag, but has anyone done range comparisons with aero hubcaps on and off?

Edit: I just looked it up on the Model 3. Car and Driver tested this and it looks like aero hubcaps increased range at 50mph by 10 miles. So, the additional drag from wider and softer tires is definitely a larger factor.

View attachment 674163
If it’s 10 miles at 50mph it’s a lot higher at 70-80 since drag increases as the square of the speed increase. So 50 to 75 isn’t 50% more drag, it’s a hell of a lot higher.

Reactions: EndlessPlaid
Now that we have our first LR VIN on the spreadsheet, may I ask that everyone put at least the first 8 digits of the VIN. That 8th digit is critical as it distinguishes between Plaid P2 Tri Motor (6) and LR P2 Dual Motor(5). @dfinn1 especially interested to see if you have a 5 as the 8th digit of your VIN!
5 is 8th digit