Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki Model S Delivery Update

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Ebay listing is now gone
Can anyone with the refreshed S or Plaid find out why the rear hiproom dimensions appeared to have shrunk nearly 4 inches from the previous S? Just a tape measurement from bottom seat edge to edge would be great. I'm wondering if this is due to the wider doors or are there some funny angles Tesla is using for measurement now. They list it at 50.3" in the manual however the Model 3 has nearly 2 inches at (52.4") more hip room than an S which makes no sense. I'm trying to see if even fitting three car seats in the back is even an option given that my Model 3 can fit only 2. Might have to switch to an X.

AND THANKS!!

Sorry I don't have a new refresh S but I do have both kids and an old refresh S and can weigh in on the back seat situation with kids with an S.

Firstly, if you do lose 4 inches, you probably can't fit 3 kids for long back there (even if the 3 seats can be made to fit).

Secondly, there are only 2 tether spots, so whatever your middle car seat is must allow for the lap belt attachment and you'd better get used to that kid being loaded or loading themselves first. Luckily thanks to Tesla drivetrain there is no middle hump, so the floor is flat and fairly generous. When I got my car my daughter was nearly 2 and now she's 6 and my son is 3, so I've loaded them in and now can send them to board themselves. If your kids need to be put into the car seats, your back will thank you picking an X. Trust me, it is not so easy with the geometry of a low sedan and the opening is not ideal for rear facing or forward facing seats.

The biggest thing is that you could absolutely fit 3 car seats in an S and it was pretty nice if they were all forward or rear. Mixed directions created issues for me but it is personality of kid dependent (I'd imagine a bigger nightmare if some can see a screen and others can't).

Anyways, hopefully a new refresh owner can chime in with the dimensions but there are definite pluses for the X. That's what I'm getting mainly due to my kids (and I want the automatic doors). 4.5 years of hauling the kids in my S though. I have about 6-9 more months and counting with it being the only car for us. So the S is also a reliable car. Obviously the lack of rear facing seats in this version of the refresh S (despite Elon touting it) is a bummer. My S doesn't have it but a couple loaners we got did and my kids LOVED it. I understand there were issues with ventilation and potential safety (as some were not even reinforced as much later one), but it was a great way to sometimes haul up to 7 people (no more than 5 adults). I really thought Tesla would deliver a new version that fixed those prior shortcomings but maybe that is just a feature to come but I can't wait around.

I had a plaid RN# i would think before Brooks’ (order complete within 30sec of announcement literally) with the exact same config.
Is what it is, some cars go some places others go others. out of our control, friends. Just keeping fingers crossed!
It’s probably more related to one word: influencers.
Tesla knows about these YouTube guys and is definitely prioritizing them.

Two more words for ya: free marketing.
Not that I’m complaining, mind you.. I like the reviews from some of these people.

Hopefully we’ll get someone to do proper track testing though, not just straight line quarter-mile runs.
I really want to know (1) how the car handles on various corners, and (2) how well the new cooling system actually works at keeping the battery at non-power limiting temps.

Can anyone with the refreshed S or Plaid find out why the rear hiproom dimensions appeared to have shrunk nearly 4 inches from the previous S? Just a tape measurement from bottom seat edge to edge would be great. I'm wondering if this is due to the wider doors or are there some funny angles Tesla is using for measurement now. They list it at 50.3" in the manual however the Model 3 has nearly 2 inches at (52.4") more hip room than an S which makes no sense. I'm trying to see if even fitting three car seats in the back is even an option given that my Model 3 can fit only 2. Might have to switch to an X.

AND THANKS!!
The outboard seats are 17" from outside edge of bolster to outside edge of bolster. The back of the seat is 11" wide. The middle seat is 11" wide (no bolsters). Hope that helps.

I think I saw Pirelli P-Zero on one video showing 19” wheels. Can’t find it again, unfortunately.
Actually Tesla’s order page shows P-Zero on 19’s:

6979A6F2-E89A-46F3-B9E3-063AD5A13A54.jpeg

It’s probably more related to one word: influencers.
Tesla knows about these YouTube guys and is definitely prioritizing them.

Two more words for ya: free marketing.
Not that I’m complaining, mind you.. I like the reviews from some of these people.

Hopefully we’ll get someone to do proper track testing though, not just straight line quarter-mile runs.
I really want to know (1) how the car handles on various corners, and (2) how well the new cooling system actually works at keeping the battery at non-power limiting temps.
I will say that afaict most of the 25 first deliveries were not "influencers", though. That actually kinda surprised me. I know we have a couple of those folks here, and a few of the others had social media profiles that are semi popular, but I was genuinely surprised Tesla didn't prioritize any YouTubers for the first batch.

Edit: It might be because Tesla is hiding from the influencers who they owe like 50 roadsters.