Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki Model S Delivery Update

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hey everyone! Just a little update on my Plaid/white ext/black int/CF/Arachnids order from late January.

Got a VIN on 7/2, then got a call from local Tesla shop (well local is still 3 hrs away) on 7/8 to schedule pickup. Pickup was tentatively set for 7/16 but after a couple days I got a text from Tesla saying that my tentative delivery was moved to 7/23.

So that’s the latest, this isn’t my first rodeo with Tesla so none of this surprises me and I expect the dates to keep moving around, as the monkey shows no mercy.

Thankfully everyone’s posts and reviews of their cars has made this process much more enjoyable.

Hey everyone! Just a little update on my Plaid/white ext/black int/CF/Arachnids order from late January.

Got a VIN on 7/2, then got a call from local Tesla shop (well local is still 3 hrs away) on 7/8 to schedule pickup. Pickup was tentatively set for 7/16 but after a couple days I got a text from Tesla saying that my tentative delivery was moved to 7/23.

So that’s the latest, this isn’t my first rodeo with Tesla so none of this surprises me and I expect the dates to keep moving around, as the monkey shows no mercy.

Thankfully everyone’s posts and reviews of their cars has made this process much more enjoyable.
I’m told by my SA that they are being extra critical in quality checks now for all Plaid and LR. So delays like this are likely caused by issues they find during inspection. Not a bad thing.

As cool as the yoke is, My one big issue is what happens if you need to overcorrect say if your car goes into a slide or you want to drift a little. Trying to catch the steering wheel spinning back at the right spot would have me grabbing for air.. I believe this is one of the main reasons Randy Pobst had his swapped out for a circular, when it came to track driving, any agressive slides or major corrections one might need to make could potentially cause a worse situtation trying to correct... this is my greatest concern as , not so much the daily driving aspect of the steering..
Once you drive the yoke you realize it isn't a big deal or safety issue. Randy used the yoke at Laguna, just not on the switch backs at pikes peak. I feel the yoke is as good or better much of the time, not as good at extreme turns. But 99% of your driving doesn't require extreme turns. Does it have to be better 100% of the time to be better?

Also, for corrections or reasonable drifting or shuffle steering, the wheel is actually upside down (180 degrees) and easily grabbed.

After driving the car a few days it really seems the yoke is a non factor, but looks cool and makes driving more fun.

I’m told by my SA that they are being extra critical in quality checks now for all Plaid and LR. So delays like this are likely caused by issues they find during inspection. Not a bad thing.

After this experience, I really truly believe SAs make *sugar* up completely.

My local showroom had a plaid in it that someone rejected for about 3 days and I went in all 3 days to look at it. And on the second day the guy told me that he got an internal memo that the white interior was delayed until October lol. That was about 3 or 4 days before my account changed to August.

Then the first day I went in another SA told me that they'd already been delivering 19-in wheels since day one of getting inventory which I knew was complete b*******. But he was extremely arrogant and tried to make it sound like he personally delivered 19-in wheels to customers multiple times and I told him I don't think the 19-inch wheels have been delivered at all as far as I've heard from across the country. Then as other people have posted on here of course they have not they were delayed essentially.

Either way I definitely have lost a lot of respect for Tesla SAs over the past few months. Perhaps Elon was correct when he was trying to shut down the Tesla showrooms and get rid of that team. I don't know I really like being able to go when I look at the cars and I'm sure other people do as well but that entire department needs to get overhauled entirely. I recognize not all of it is their fault as they aren't told a whole lot of stuff from headquarters, but when they just blatantly lie and make stuff up that's ridiculous.

Can someone tell me where you report any "defects" within the first 24 hours of delivery? They dropped off my car at the wrong address and didn't even let me know it was there. And I wasn't able to ask any questions. Thanks!
Use the app for things that need to be addressed and then you should also get the post delivery survey in a couple of days for providing feedback on the overall experience.

Thanks for posting.

I have always avoided the white “leather” because of concerns over dye transfer. (I wear jeans a lot.). For those with white seats, is that a problem for you?
Seems to be a non-issue for the Tesla white vegan leather seats. I was worried about this issue too since I really wanted the white-black interior as well. Did some research online and apparently, everyone with the Tesla white seats basically all say that the seats almost never stain and any spills, dirt, or other blemishes can easily be wiped off. I’m sure others with past Tesla white seats will chime in but that seems to be the consensus. No issue, not even with jeans.

Thanks for posting.

I have always avoided the white “leather” because of concerns over dye transfer. (I wear jeans a lot.). For those with white seats, is that a problem for you?
Not at all. Had my 2019 for a little over 2 years and never had an issue with anything dying the seats, and I wear jeans a lot also. The agent that delivered my car shared a tip to use baby wipes on the white "leather" surfaces, and it's worked amazingly well. I have a packet of them in the glove compartment and just use one when something gets on the seat and it comes off flawlessly. That's with three young kids (were 5, 8 and 10 when I bought the car), so you know there were spills.

The white interior is a huge draw to Tesla for me.

Yes! You were the one to mention the “production planning” meeting. My local SC Mgr just emailed me saying my car was now in “production planning” so do you and/or your inside Tesla source know approx how long from “production planning” to actual production/VIN assignment? 🤔🙏🏻 After that, I know I’m looking at approx 2-3 weeks for actual delivery. But my account is still blank ans I don’t have a VIN yet (but I’m on some sort of priority list). Thank you!
Calling out someone here. Sorry, but I awoke this Sunday morning to ~ 10 TMC notifications and all were from @yamanote with thumbs-down - disagree on my last 10 posts (including the one above...huh? 🤔 ) no matter the subject or content of my posts. See above post that he/she disagreed with just as an example. I mean no harm, no hurt feelings, lol since it's just an Internet car forum; they're just posts and your so-called disagreements with but seriously, just a d*k move on your part. So, I've now added a 3rd to my IGNORE list. Cheer up @yamanote and be well...seems like you have some personal issues to deal with. TMC really isn't the right place for that nonsense. I truly wish you well.

Can someone tell me where you report any "defects" within the first 24 hours of delivery? They dropped off my car at the wrong address and didn't even let me know it was there. And I wasn't able to ask any questions. Thanks!
I don’t think the delivery driver would have any answers for you. What kind of issues do you see?

Reactions: EndlessPlaid
I was at a supercharger today and went into the travel stop to get lunch. When I came out a kid (teenager) with his mom was enthusiastically ogling my Plaid. I waved to him as I approached and we had a nice chat. They were charging their M3 a few stalls over. Kid knows more about the car than me I think. He reminded me of a young version of myself.

I took a moment as I was eating my lunch in the car (COVID blah blah) to reflect on how fortunate I am to be able to buy the kind of car that would merely have been a dream for me as a kid. As we deal with the issues with the car, and the company, let's not forget how lucky we are.
It may have something to do with living in the best country in the world. So much opportunity here! Good for you to take a minute to make that kids day. Well done sir

And just like that, my EDD is back to blank. One day of July 24-Aug 07 and back to Blank. Really Tesla monkey? You only give me 24-hours of excitement before ripping it away? What have I done to displease you!?

/sigh
Same for me. One day of having a date range, and then like a fart in the wind, it vanished this morning.

@omarsultan Hey Omar...if you have a moment to check something...could you measure your MS Plaid's dead-pedal footrest...length & width? I have a feeling it's the same size as the older gen MS. There are a few options for an aluminum dead-pedal (no drill...just stick-on) which I think would look great to match with the aluminum sport pedals. Strange that Tesla didn't match up the dead pedal. Cost savings thing I guess, but anyhow. Thank you in advance! 👍 :cool:
It is 4.25" x 14" and there is a velcro circle ~10" from the bottom that the floor mat attaches to.

Congrats fellow Texan! What part of the state are you in? Looks like the carbon fiber is in fact flowing. Great to see!
Thanks! Ah locatiom, not picking up in TX sorry! Yes great to see CF and red flowing. Champagne on ice until I’ve got the car but so far on track to be enjoying tonight.

Love the feeling of being a kid on a holiday morning anticipating the gift :)

It was not so frutstrainingly dead a few weeks ago. There was a very nice (predictable) movement associated with all the initial reactions to Plaid deliveries :). The company was kind enough to almost pay for my new toy with that upward movement (least I be confused with shorts).
The stock did spike up on the news of Q2 delivery numbers, however, it was short lived. The stock has been taking a massive dump since Jan and yeah, it's been dying for the last 5 or 6 months at this point. It has tumbled from 880 to 640s. That's a massive drop with no reason for a spike in sight.

I understand some people here get butt hurt every time someone speaks negative of Tesla or TSLA. But I'm only stating facts. Long term the stock is good but it's been garbage the last 6 months and disliking my comment doesn't change that fact 😂

Thanks for posting.

It’s ymmv, this is from my 2018 M3
15AF8ACF-D2EB-4C31-AFB5-4145255BB78E.jpeg

And just when you think Tesla’s customer service couldn’t get any worse, Elon says “Hold my beer” 🍺

No updates just wanna say how excited I am for my plaid and I’m blank right I can only imagine how excited are the guys with vins waiting. After seeing all these videos on it it’s kinda stupid not owning one for the acceleration your getting this thing is a bargain. These are the kinds cars that excite because there usable vehicles I can have my wife and kid in the car and still get a 9.3 quarter mile with zero drama. Exotic cars ferrari Lamborghini etc… obviously I love exotic cars and hope to own one soon but you expect those cars to be fast that’s there job. But there not practical I’ll never get my true use out of them as I would from the Tesla from a practically view. Also another reason why I order a hummer ev first edition 1000 hp it’s going to be very fun to drive the top is removable all this excitement and still able to have my family and groceries in the car that’s the best part for me.

It’s ymmv, this is from my 2018 M3
View attachment 683455
My daughters Model 3 white seats looked like that after neglecting proper cleaning for about 6 months. The good news is that will come right off using the proper cleaning product.

Are you telling us you think this stain is permanent? I have not experienced a single stain that couldn’t easily be removed from our white seats.

Here is a good video showing that multiple products work well to keep those white seats looking new.

Last edited: