Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki Model S Delivery Update

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Alright everyone, looking for some feedback here - clearly understanding I have to make the decision. Also understand this is very much a first world problem, but I'm weighing my options and curious what others would do. Also curious, does anyone know if passing on a delivery adds the cost increases? I got in before any, so if that does happen it would make my decision very easy.

My Model Y winter mobile, showed up this week. First Tesla I've owned, and even the 21 LR Model Y is absolutely fantastic and just another level all the way around, compared to any other auto I've owned. I got the Tesla delivery appointment text today for the LR S, and obviously it's a 3 day window and falls over a weekend that's not very good for our schedule. My options are, number one pass on this delivery and wait for the next knowing I don't plan to drive this much between now and April/May. The risk here, is that it puts me so far back it's not delivered by then and here I am waiting again.... although at least this time I'd be waiting in a Tesla instead of a GMC so the urgency seems less. The benefit is that I'd likely be into a 2022 NF VIN, although honestly I'm not too concerned about that. However, I'd still be ridiculously annoyed if April/May showed up and it was not sitting in my garage.

Option two is to force some schedule adjustments (my wife's, especially) to take delivery, and just get the car in hand after this painful 9 month wait. Very much on the fence about this since the Model Y covers my needs for the next 5-6 months, I just don't want to fall to the end of the line again.

Another update/question for anyone following my strange journey. This seems to be a new build (MF 452 VIN), so I've decided I'll accept and try to get a month or so driving out of it before the temps dip and stay in the 40's before putting it away. Next question, my delivery appointment is next Friday which I have to drive 2.5 hours to my nearest store. For those who have taken delivery before... my account updated and is pushing me to make my final payment, and it clearly states they do not accept credit cards for this payment. For those of you like me, who would prefer to see (and drive if they allow?) before making the final payment... do you do this with a check? I assume the ACH through the account takes a day or two, and I'd have to have this paid when I take the delivery. I guess I'm stumped how people hold out on the final payment before seeing unless they do accept a check, which also seems like something they would not do?

Another update/question for anyone following my strange journey. This seems to be a new build (MF 452 VIN), so I've decided I'll accept and try to get a month or so driving out of it before the temps dip and stay in the 40's before putting it away. Next question, my delivery appointment is next Friday which I have to drive 2.5 hours to my nearest store. For those who have taken delivery before... my account updated and is pushing me to make my final payment, and it clearly states they do not accept credit cards for this payment. For those of you like me, who would prefer to see (and drive if they allow?) before making the final payment... do you do this with a check? I assume the ACH through the account takes a day or two, and I'd have to have this paid when I take the delivery. I guess I'm stumped how people hold out on the final payment before seeing unless they do accept a check, which also seems like something they would not do?
I was able to pay via cashiers check day of delivery after fully inspecting the car (no test drive).

For both my former S and my wifes y, I showed up with personal check for the full balance due. Had zero issues both times.

Tip: do NOT sell shares of TSLA to actually buy a Tesla.

It'll be the most expensive car you'll ever buy if you do that . . . .

Instead, just take out an auto loan from any of the many CU's that offer rock bottom interest rates on Teslas; there's a thread here with a daily-update spreadsheet IIRC.
NO WAY I'm gonna sell $TSLA. I have some other names tho, which are laggards.
I'll go one step further....do not sell any shares of blue chip or index funds to buy any depreciating purchases.

Note, I did not say assets. Cars are not assets unless they are making money for you...
Well, "depreciating purchases", that is an interesting way to put it. I hadn't thought of my future MS LR in that way. But, since I'll be using solar power to charge car at home... It WILL actually be "making money" for me in that I won't have to buy gas or do so much maintenance as my curr ICE car. Hmmm :cool:

Just to clarify for other folks, you can buy the 19" Cardenio rims in the US, so maybe this is specific to Canada.
They said maybe by the end of October here but I don't trust Tesla time. I don't see them on the site. Where do you get them? Also it looks like no one makes a winter tire combo for the 19" either or have you seen some that matches the summers?

Cashier's check works if you want to hold out until inspection.

How do I sign up for the s delivery spreadsheet?

They said maybe by the end of October here but I don't trust Tesla time. I don't see them on the site. Where do you get them? Also it looks like no one makes a winter tire combo for the 19" either or have you seen some that matches the summers?
You have to order them through Parts. Here are the part numbers for the rims:
1634933971677.png

To this, you need to add the TPMS modules ($75 ea), the Tempest wheel covers ($30 ea) or center caps and lug nut covers (~80 for 4 wheels).

The two cold weather options I have seen are the Continentals that Tesla provides or the Michelin Pilot Sport All Season 4. I picked up the latter and found them to be an excellent tire.

I have not looked at proper winter (mountain/snowflake) tires as I don't need them, so cannot speak to options.

You have to order them through Parts. Here are the part numbers for the rims:
View attachment 724406
To this, you need to add the TPMS modules ($75 ea), the Tempest wheel covers ($30 ea) or center caps and lug nut covers (~80 for 4 wheels).

The two cold weather options I have seen are the Continentals that Tesla provides or the Michelin Pilot Sport All Season 4. I picked up the latter and found them to be an excellent tire.

I have not looked at proper winter (mountain/snowflake) tires as I don't need them, so cannot speak to options.
I tried to figure out what the rims would cost, but no one will call me back.

@Ormond I think you are correct, early May build. This car was probably one sitting in that notorious "lot" shown in those earlier drone fly-overs. There's a rumor that Fremont is production is currently shut down for the annual retooling exercise, and that Tesla is working to clear lot inventory during this time. It's unclear why these cars were sitting in that lot for so long, however... Some would say "part shortages," but that would be unlikely, in my opinion - especially during the EOQ push. If these cars were missing parts, how were they able to have these same parts for all the cars rolling off the line? The only exception I could think of is the white interior cars, as none seem to have been delivered, until recently (but they could have installed other interiors and sold them for EOQ). If it were me, I would wait for a later VIN, like a 2022 vin. I'm sure there will be many manufacturing and quality improvements, if not new features. YMMV.
Thanks for the heads up, my LR with white seats had its delivery move up from Late Dec to a 2 week window in early November. If I get a early Vin, I'll pass now.

Was getting kind of excited ...but I guess I can wait.