Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki Model S Delivery Update

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
But you can use a single, one stream, Netflix subscription on an unlimited number of devices. Just not at the same time. You can't do that with the FSD subscription. It is limited to be used on a single named vehicle. And you can only change that named vehicle once a month, since they don't refund partial months. (By stopping the subscription and starting a new one on a different vehicle.)
While I understand your point, I think the context of what Tesla, Netflix, Apple, etc are as companies is imperative in the conversation. Tesla is a vehicle manufacturing company and they sell options and upgrades to those vehicles. You have the prerogative to purchase or subscribe to those options and upgrades. Purchasing FSD adds resale value to those vehicles, it can be debated how much. The subscription option simply widens Tesla's available market (or constricts it too, I suppose is possible). But it is still benefitting a particular vehicle.

Netflix is a content delivery company. There is no intrinsic value added to the device it's being used on and it's impossible for there ever to be. And even those companies limit the number of devices you are able to use the service on.

I can see the perspective of "I pay for a subscription so I should be able to use it in multiple vehicles". I don't see that with a purchase of FSD however.

I can see the perspective of "I pay for a subscription so I should be able to use it in multiple vehicles". I don't see that with a purchase of FSD however.
Are you okay with Tesla not letting you transfer the software to your next Tesla, and then also making the new owner buy FSD for the same vehicle again?

Reactions: impastu
Are you okay with Tesla not letting you transfer the software to your next Tesla, and then also making the new owner buy FSD for the same vehicle again?
Well, if I'm Tesla in this specific case, yes. But also, if I was Tesla, I would account for the previous owner's FSD purchase price by allowing a higher trade-in value (the only way I know of for Tesla to re-aquire a vehicle). In other words, NOT double-dipping. But instead offering a fair market value for the FSD option that the customer originally purchased. Tesla would still come out well in this case as they originally sold FSD, bought it back at a discount, and then has the opportunity to re-sell it. I can say with a clean conscious, I would do the same.

However, as I previously mentioned, I really do not know, nor will likely ever know, if Tesla does attempt to double dip by offering a non-FSD trade-in allowance on an FSD software purchased car. I'm really not sure anyone could know this in certainty because it would require two identical vehicles with identical miles in the same geography at the same moment in time, one with FSD and one without, to determine if this is the case.

So no, I do not have an issue with it as a practical matter, business matter, or moral matter from Tesla's perspective. However, as a personal consumer matter, I'm going to shop my used car value to the best of my ability to get the most money I can. I will 100% for certain be able to recoup at least some of the cost of FSD. Beyond that, I do not care what becomes of the car or the software in it. This is what I've done in the past and, to date, I've done well in this method.

Not if it goes back to Tesla as a trade, this is what I believe @AnselmDante is referring to. If it remains out of Tesla's hands, then yes, it transfers.
My 2017 MS was almost $95k. I paid $3k for FSD or ~3% of overall price. Never used FSD as it's still not available. Only for some highway driving. I knew chances of actually using it were slim but I wanted to support Tesla FSD development. But $10k is too much (~7%), so I did not buy it this time.
EDIT: I forgot that Enhanced Autopilot was separate then: $5,000. So FSD was more like $8,000. Not worth it then and now.

I see Tesla setting the bar for what is acceptable data to regulators. IF they are as transparent as they claim, they could use their engineering and technological (simulation & data collection) advantage to place the documentation side of regulatory approval so high that others will have a hard time meeting the bar. This will not last forever but a smart first has the advantage of setting the rules for others that follow.
I agree; however, the open disdain they have shown regulators will, I think, come back and bite them. My biggest fear is that of regulatory capture, where other companies, that play the game better, influence hardware requirements that Tesla will have a hard time accommodating. At the end of the day, they need to prove that their vision-on stack is as good or better than others HW/SW stacks. I honestly believe this is the case* but I worry hubris will get in Tesla's way.

* The person that actually convinced me of this was a Sony engineer at an autonomous vehicle conference--he made the case that the driving world today is build around vision and any successful strategy must recognize that--that radar and lidar are not-as-good proxies for the real thing.

So they are waiting for your cell phone to show up? You better get over there. 🤣
I thought the same way last week. But I recall seeing someone posted that Canada requires that everything be there before delivery. I am assuming that is fobs, cards, mats, shelves, etc. which I can understand. But if Tesla has a workaround (key card), Tesla should still be able to release it. But alas, we are here.

I thought the same way last week. But I recall seeing someone posted that Canada requires that everything be there before delivery. I am assuming that is fobs, cards, mats, shelves, etc. which I can understand. But if Tesla has a workaround (key card), Tesla should still be able to release it. But alas, we are here.
Consumer protection collateral damage.

Yeah I picked up my car in early September, it was 4-5 weeks later when I got the floor mats, trunk covers and license plate frame. If I had to wait for that, I'd have gone batty.

Side note, I always liked the key fob with my past Ses, even bought a nice looking holster for it on Amazon prior to taking delivery. When I got the car, I paired my phone just to try it out... I haven't even removed the battery protectors from the fobs to use them yet - the phone app just works!

Yeah I picked up my car in early September, it was 4-5 weeks later when I got the floor mats, trunk covers and license plate frame. If I had to wait for that, I'd have gone batty.

Side note, I always liked the key fob with my past Ses, even bought a nice looking holster for it on Amazon prior to taking delivery. When I got the car, I paired my phone just to try it out... I haven't even removed the battery protectors from the fobs to use them yet - the phone app just works!
Yup. I've owned an S and a 3 and doubt I'll use the fob. The app works great. I do use the card when I go running without my phone, though. Annoyingly, I have to shut down my phone and lock it in the glove box to make sure the car stays locked and that if someone broke in they wouldn't be able to turn on my phone and drive the car away.