Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki Model S Delivery Update

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Delivery scheduled for June 23. Got a message again that I can pick it up earlier on June 22. Went to take a look at it in the Fremont CA delivery lot.
Do the panel gaps and alignment look normal for a typical MS (this is my first Tesla) ?

All photos taken around 5PM in blazing 91 degree CA sun.View attachment 1059076View attachment 1059080View attachment 1059081View attachment 1059082View attachment 1059083View attachment 1059084View attachment 1059085View attachment 1059079
Tail lights look pretty misaligned to me

Reactions: zoomer0056
My MSP (URed/Black interior/yoke/19" VIN 539xxx, birthdate 5/8) has been sitting on the lot for about a month (see my older posts for details). On Wed I made an unannounced visit to try to get more answers - first to see if they brought it under cover as requested...no, but the delivery guy remembered me from my previous order (rejected due to paint chips) and he generously offered to bring it up so I can look at it closely. It was still in the same spot outside. Looked it over closely and things still generally look good. Went back to the showroom area and still got general, varied bits of information about exactly what needed to be inspected and what software update was required. Service guy looked it up on his computer and said oh yeah, seatbelts, yup, parts are required and we're waiting on parts, no ETA. Asked if I had a delivery date yet (no) and he said usually they look at it when there's a delivery date...so do we have a process problem here? Talked to the sales manager who said no, that's not it, we're just waiting on parts and try to be patient. Dejected, I walked out.

Two hours later, I get a "schedule your delivery" notice. :) Uhh, sure, ok, let's see if this will really happen. 10am Fri. On arrival, car is pretty well cleaned up, spent a good 45min inspecting all the paint with my own microfiber cloths & water (a few insignificant scuffs that will likely easily buff out), no underside scrapes/damage, nothing in interior damaged (no seat wrinkles), panel alignments all look good. Sure, let's do this! Charge was about 42% and they happily charged it up to 80%. One final look at the tires for punctures/screws/plugs (had a friend take delivery of a new VW Tiguan with a patched tire that started leaking a year or so later). OK, yes I accept this baby!

Being my first Tesla purchase, super happy, drives great, suspension settings are really nice and distinct - comfort is very different from sport - I briefly tried and liked the suggested manual settings for softest on compression, stiffest on rebound. Need to do my own alignment checks for toe and finish the installation of the wall connector. Super hot here in the DC area (94-97) and the AC/heatpump worked like a champ. Lots of heat from the glass roof (not a fan), but have the Basenor roof + windshield/rear glass/side windows sunshade combo pack on the way.

But it is still unclear why this car sat on the lot for 4-ish weeks. The last person I spoke to seemed to know the gory details and said the software update was to disable the driver's seat occupancy sensor (to avoid allowing the driver to lift out of seat and unbuckle w/o a warning), but why this held up my delivery is beyond my understanding as others were getting deliveries here, existing cars on the planet would get the update in due time, just like mine would...whatever, maybe my visit got someone to look closer and get it done.

Thanks to all for the advice, suggestions, and support here. Great to have this community!

Congrats! Which service center in the DC area was this? I typically have better luck with Silver Spring (where I picked up my S) than Owings Mills (where I used to get service on my old 3 before Silver Spring opened up).

I actually am changing anesthesiology practices, and will be moving to Austin after the summer. I will be doing mobile dental office anesthesia, and will be lugging these big boxes of drugs/supplies around daily as well as commuting back to Dallas to see my kids on the weekends I have them. I will need more space to lug this stuff around and the boxes are a very tight fit in the backseat of my Taycan. So I am looking to possibly move back into an S, or worst case an X

Reactions: aerodyne
That's a generic statement about wood in general - not specific to chemically treated/processed wood used for car interiors.

This article highlights the point I was trying to make: Automakers Craft More Sustainable Interiors | GreenCars
I still disagree. That article is a lot of superficial hand waving of an idea aimed at innocent and uninformed well intentioned people who care for the future of the planet they live on. It floats disingenuously the use of the word sustainable just to a give a specific air to the story when they have no idea what the hell they are talking about. Just like when one says "wood interiors are no longer sustainable". It's superficial and nonsense. If one reads that article critically, it's even contradictory.

Last edited:
Reactions: aerodyne and MYP24
I actually am changing anesthesiology practices, and will be moving to Austin after the summer. I will be doing mobile dental office anesthesia, and will be lugging these big boxes of drugs/supplies around daily as well as commuting back to Dallas to see my kids on the weekends I have them. I will need more space to lug this stuff around and the boxes are a very tight fit in the backseat of my Taycan. So I am looking to possibly move back into an S, or worst case an X
I think a '22 or '23 MS LR used, private party, could be had for less than 69420. Surely there are owners who take really good care of their MS, but are wanting to leave the brand for varied reasons.

Lighter glass roof with HW3 and larger rear screen is what I think is the best recent config. USS is not really essential as I find myself using Tesla vision all the time.

Mine is not for sale, but I now have no problems except for minor, transitory drive line vibes and creaking front end (Low speeds)

Efficiency, tire wear, charging speed, climate, performance, UI, sound and entertainment are all excellent.

I suspect there are very clean cars, with low miles out there.

I would suggest white/cream/walnut for your climate. Wood is cooler temp wise, than carbon.

Plaid would likely damage your supplies as they are thrown around the back. 😊

Reactions: TBrownTX
Delivery scheduled for June 23. Got a message again that I can pick it up earlier on June 22. Went to take a look at it in the Fremont CA delivery lot.
Do the panel gaps and alignment look normal for a typical MS (this is my first Tesla) ?

All photos taken around 5PM in blazing 91 degree CA sun.View attachment 1059076View attachment 1059080View attachment 1059081View attachment 1059082View attachment 1059083View attachment 1059084View attachment 1059085View attachment 1059079
I’m pretty picky but that looks perfectly fine to me

Also is today not the 23rd? Tesla wants you to go back in time and pick up yesterday?!

Reactions: TBrownTX
I think a '22 or '23 MS LR used, private party, could be had for less than 69420. Surely there are owners who take really good care of their MS, but are wanting to leave the brand for varied reasons.

Lighter glass roof with HW3 and larger rear screen is what I think is the best recent config. USS is not really essential as I find myself using Tesla vision all the time.

Mine is not for sale, but I now have no problems except for minor, transitory drive line vibes and creaking front end (Low speeds)

Efficiency, tire wear, charging speed, climate, performance, UI, sound and entertainment are all excellent.

I suspect there are very clean cars, with low miles out there.

I would suggest white/cream/walnut for your climate. Wood is cooler temp wise, than carbon.

Plaid would likely damage your supplies as they are thrown around the back. 😊

had 2 plaids before and loved the acceleration and interior trims, but prob want to go long range this time since I need extra range to drive from Dallas to Austin without stopping. Plenty of 2023 MSLR from $60-67k on autotrader. Loved my ultra red with white interior and probably go that route again

Reactions: aerodyne
Hello all-newbie here-

What kind of waiting period for a VIN will this be? It seems everyone has a little different experience.

Attachments

• IMG_8187.png
    IMG_8187.png
    204.2 KB · Views: 9
had 2 plaids before and loved the acceleration and interior trims, but prob want to go long range this time since I need extra range to drive from Dallas to Austin without stopping. Plenty of 2023 MSLR from $60-67k on autotrader. Loved my ultra red with white interior and probably go that route again
I also live in Dallas and travel to Austin frequently. I am still tossing around the idea of Plaid vs. LR, but I'm trying to convince myself that a Plaid with the 19s and driven at the speed limit will return the same efficiency as a LR. Anyone have evidence that this would not be the case?

I also live in Dallas and travel to Austin frequently. I am still tossing around the idea of Plaid vs. LR, but I'm trying to convince myself that a Plaid with the 19s and driven at the speed limit will return the same efficiency as a LR. Anyone have evidence that this would not be the case?

Well it’s 43 mile difference (epa est) according to Tesla.com (Plaid vs LR on 19s) Dallas to Austin is only 200 miles. Should have plenty of room to make it without stopping on 19s I would think

Well it’s 43 mile difference (epa est) according to Tesla.com (Plaid vs LR on 19s) Dallas to Austin is only 200 miles. Should have plenty of room to make it without stopping on 19s I would think
Ya, but there's some discussion about why only the Plaid got a significantly-reduced EPA rating for MY2024 while the long range stayed nearly the same as MY2023. If someone could point my in the direction of that conversation, I'll take my inquiries there - thanks!
I drive from SA to Dallas every other week and make one stop in Temple at Bucees to charge, pee, and get a drink. It doesn’t delay me at all really and it hasn’t been an issue - 22 Plaid and I drive with a heavy foot all the time. I do have the 19s also - no way my bladder could make it even if the car could.
I certainly feel the same, and make the same stop in my Model 3 Performance. Since I have nearly-free home charging rate on the weekends, another 50-70 miles of range means I could do my M-F weekly commuting for nearly free by topping off every Saturday/Sunday. I realize we're only talking a few bucks here ha. Not so much a road trip concern.

Congrats! Which service center in the DC area was this? I typically have better luck with Silver Spring (where I picked up my S) than Owings Mills (where I used to get service on my old 3 before Silver Spring opened up).
Thanks! Thoroughly enjoying it so far. 250 miles since I picked it up Friday noon, happy to drive anywhere for any or no reason. Acceleration is just so effortless and smooth. Heard a rattle tonight while riding solo...passenger seatbelt against the seat. Level2 charger (wall connector) installed and working great. Adjusting to 'range anxiety' by displaying percent (mimics regular car's fuel level), knowing it gets about the same range as a gasser, and reminding myself I never worry about fuel level until I'm below a quarter tank anyway. I do wish the car would display both range and SoC%. Tip for newbies: in the app, touching the % or range toggles to the other.

Oh yeah, you had a question. :) 1300 Rockville Pike, Rockville MD.

Last edited: