Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki Model S Delivery Update

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My SA on Saturday was very cautiously optimistic that it could still happen but it would need something in the next few days if going to make it by the end of Q1, He did point out that their lot has been cleared for a "big" shipment coming in but did not know if any of the S would be on it. All we can do is be hopeful...

Would it be stupid to get the tempest wheels, remove the ‘aero’ covers, and powder-coat the rims under a darker color? I don’t need the extra range day-to-day & it feels like a darker color would go a LONG way for the curb appeal. Then I could just pop on the covers for road trips when the range is more important.

Seems like the best of both worlds, but also feels like I’m missing something.

Not at all and probably a decent trade off. I upgraded to the 19” dark slipstream wheels on our ‘19 Raven for the same “kinda” look you are describing.

After a 2015 and a 2017 S on 21 inch wheels and switching to the 19’s I can’t even begin to describe how much better the ride quality / comfort / quiet / price / mileage / tire life was improved.

I asked this on 3/1. I ask again, ANYONE THINK THEY WILL GET A DELIVERED REFRESH IN MARCH??
Do you think it is possible you will get a VIN and Delivery date in the next 2 weeks? I am not very hopeful.
At this point, it’s extremely unlikely for any March deliveries. If Tesla was transparent about the reason(s) for the delay, it would be easier to speculate about when deliveries will begin. In my opinion, deliveries will begin late April -early May.
They should at least post a few videos. The cheezy 5 sec clip of a refresh driving in the snow doesn’t count.

Think we'd see some VINS already if there were going to be any. No?
Arachnids absolutely not worth almost 40 miles of range to me (although on some color combos they looks slightly better but that is totally subjective). Cheaper and more efficient to just buy new tires on the 19s.
It’s shocking that wheels are such a big factor with efficiency. A 40 mile penalty for 21s is pretty hard to digest.

We picked up our new Mercedes GLS yesterday and after just 1 day I realized something. I like my model S, and another on order, simply for the performance. The fit and finish of this GLS is perfect. Other than autopilot, the technology is arguably better than Tesla.

The only reason I’m getting a new S is because I can keep the same payments. But I am seriously considering canceling my order and looking at some in the MB line, E53 AMG. Crazy? I drive less than 6K miles a year so the gas savings aren’t of concern.

• Funny
Reactions: bhzmark
  • Opticoat-Pro -- I have had great experience with this on my old S (water still beaded after 8 years) and the X. I have thought about PPF, but the price of good PPF seems excessive and a less than perfect job will irritate me each time I look at it
  • Window tint--will have to see that the car is actually like, but something pretty dark for the back and IR-blocking film for the front
  • A chrome delete T for the trunk
  • Probably upgraded floor mats--have to see what the car comes with. Fun fact: on the early Ses, the floor mats were so cheap, they ones in the front footwells would flop over under moderately heavy acceleration
  • Organizer for the trunk
We are getting paint protection film for front including side mirrors and ceramic coating for entire car. Also window tint.

We picked up our new Mercedes GLS yesterday and after just 1 day I realized something. I like my model S, and another on order, simply for the performance. The fit and finish of this GLS is perfect. Other than autopilot, the technology is arguably better than Tesla.

The only reason I’m getting a new S is because I can keep the same payments. But I am seriously considering canceling my order and looking at some in the MB line, E53 AMG. Crazy? I drive less than 6K miles a year so the gas savings aren’t of concern.
In the past 15 years, I had a 2018 E63 refresh, a CLS 63, a few Porsche turbos, Audi S8, BMW M5s etc. My P100D was my 1st EV. Nothing put a smile on my face more than my Tesla. My fav car I’ve owned hands down.
The new Model S will be so much nicer than the Model S you have now. Everything will be improved including fit and finish. Don’t compare the new S to your current S. Even the new LR S will roast a MB E53. And the new plaid is insane, I don’t need to say anything more.

The lack of VINs is less significant than it used to be. When they truly did BTO cars, VIN assignment meant they were beginning to build your car. With the advent of the Model 3, they shifted approaches and limited the options to limit potential build variations. So they are basically building batches of configs, then matching VINs with orders after the fact.

Reactions: elguapo and Drew-MS

Ok, I can relate. Wife got a '19 560 S Class. The MS was, get this..."Too Complicated"

The S 560 is great to ride in, and to look at, and be looked at I guess. But not so great to drive in traffic.

And:

The GUI, connectivity, Nav, voice commands, and Distronic are inferior as non memory air suspension and no homelink.

High marks for the massaging seats and cross traffic and side alerts and esp HUD however.

Maybe it's better than I think, but after two reads of the 350 page owners manual, I still am not proficient in operating all 47 controls in the cockpit. Needs a flight engineer in the right seat.

Have you priced a "B" service? Like 500 USD...and the price new is in Plaid territory.

If you don't live on the west coast and you don't get a VIN by Friday then the car literally can't get there fast enough, as they send them by rail and then a truck gets it. When I bought my model 3, it had just rolled off the line and was already made. Took 10 calendar days after the VIN was already provided and the car made. I live in the Midwest. If you live on the east coast, expect 14 days.

They have to be producing them to deliver them - anywhere. And there's very little reason to believe they're producing ANY refreshed Model S cars in any quantity except for the ones seen in the drone flyover, which could be more mules or all waiting for some approval or retrofit or something.

I can't speculate on the issue, though I don't believe it's yoke approval. That said, there's clearly some issue, as always, that is causing the delay. The continued silence from Tesla and lack of videos, etc is telling.

However, will any of this affect how the cars (S and X) sell? Nope. We'll all wait, and more folks will order new S and X cars daily, etc.

Last edited: