Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki Model S Delivery Update

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I notice you state that you’re old. I was wondering of all of us that have ordered LR or Plaid’s how many of us are over 60 or 70 years old. I’ll understand if no one responds. :)
I'm 74 and proud of it. At an early (2015) customer appreciation day in Columbus, OH I noticed that the crowd (30 people or so) was split between 60+ year olds and early 30s with no one in between. I suspect that demographic split is now significantly different with the introduction of the 3 & Y.

A car that basically has the same range and motor placement configuration and presumably battery architecture.
Actually the battery architecture is different. Same cell type (18650) but very different pack setup for much better cooling.
And on the Plaid version, the tri-motor setup is brand new. Not saying all this excuses the delays, but it’s not like the refresh is just an updated interior.

2182097A-43ED-4A2E-B4FF-3175A1D6A20D.jpeg

Call Sony and demand to know when the X90J will be delivered and each person you talk to will give you a different answer. Sony is a mature company. This is not a communications problem, definitely not a Tesla issue. This is called, "how it works". No one forcing anyone to buy anything, take it or leave it. There are 1000s of parts that go into CE/Cars/Products and any number of reasons we don't have them, who cares.

Call Sony and demand to know when the X90J will be delivered and each person you talk to will give you a different answer. Sony is a mature company. This is not a communications problem, definitely not a Tesla issue. This is called, "how it works". No one forcing anyone to buy anything, take it or leave it. There are 1000s of parts that go into CE/Cars/Products and any number of reasons we don't have them, who cares.

Just because everyone does it, doesn’t make it right. And it definitely doesn’t mean it’s not a communication issue. If these companies are not held accountable then they see no reason to change things. It’s up to us, the customers, to voice our opinions about how we feel we should be communicated to. If you don’t feel there is an issue, then by all means, continue to do nothing. But those of us who feel we are being mistreated, have the right to say so, especially when it’s not just one or two people.

Who cares? It’s easy to say if you have a car to drive in the meantime. Some of us actually believed we would get a car from Tesla in March and relied on that false information. I sold my 2016.5 P90DL a few weeks ago thinking the arrival of my new car was imminent. If I still had my Model S I could also say - “who cares?”

A stereo isn't 100k and isn't life impacting like transportation. Also, that's not a product that took money in order to reserve. I'm not in here complaining that jolly rancher hasn't communicated the delay on their new flavor. People are complaining that their lives are being significantly impacted, sometimes to the tune of thousands of dollars, when I simple "Gonna be a month or 2 more" tweet would fix that and enable people to make decisions.

As a reminder, this is what the Technoking said in January during the earnings call (emphasis added):

Regarding the new Model S and X, we are launching the -- we're super excited to announce the new Model S and Model X are in production now and will be delivered in February. So we've been able to bring forward the Plaid, Model S and X. And Model S will be delivered in February and X a little later. The Model S Plaid, and we're actually in production now, and we'll be delivering next month.

I notice you state that you’re old. I was wondering of all of us that have ordered LR or Plaid’s how many of us are over 60 or 70 years old. I’ll understand if no one responds. :)
I'm 75. I ordered Plaid+ because I've been addicted to quick and fast cars and other transport devices all my life. Except in Germany I rarely drive hard enough to justify them (although there its nothing to match a very cold day taking a LR-25 from ground to FL410 in less than seven minutes). Frankly the range is the biggest + factor for me.

As a reminder, this is what the Technoking said in January during the earnings call (emphasis added):
Hey...stop that...all the people here saying we are being overzealous with our comments about the delays and further spouting "It's Elon you know he never actually means / believes what he says.....Just be patient...."

Well my 2/25/21 delivery date was set by Tesla....meaning Tesla set that expectation as well as Elon.....so I agree 💯 with your reminder....

Who cares? It’s easy to say if you have a car to drive in the meantime. Some of us actually believed we would get a car from Tesla in March and relied on that false information. I sold my 2016.5 P90DL a few weeks ago thinking the arrival of my new car was imminent. If I still had my Model S I could also say - “who cares?”
This is because of a lack of empathy. Some of us can afford to wait a bit longer and some much longer. However there is a population that have planned their lives around a March delivery and with no communication from the mothership they are left hanging. I can't upvote what Sam said above enough. We can't say Tesla is a major disruptor who continue to challenge the conventions and yet compare them to other businesses whenever it's convenient to do so. Wrong is wrong no matter how many others are caught doing it.

Our family is welcoming our 6th child in May. We have had a Ford Transit passenger van on order for over a month....no updates. Finally pinged them again and learned that the vehicle is now slated for production the week of the due date.....so that puts us in a bit of a bind b/c we won’t have a car big enough to fit our growing family, but it is what it is. We also have the Refreshed S on order with a March delivery......so.....

Our family is welcoming our 6th child in May. We have had a Ford Transit passenger van on order for over a month....no updates. Finally pinged them again and learned that the vehicle is now slated for production the week of the due date.....so that puts us in a bit of a bind b/c we won’t have a car big enough to fit our growing family, but it is what it is. We also have the Refreshed S on order with a March delivery......so.....

Who's stuck driving the van and who is lucky enough to drive the Tesla? I don’t think that would work in my house… then again I’m single so I don’t have this problem😃

This is because of a lack of empathy. Some of us can afford to wait a bit longer and some much longer. However there is a population that have planned their lives around a March delivery and with no communication from the mothership they are left hanging. I can't upvote what Sam said above enough. We can't say Tesla is a major disruptor who continue to challenge the conventions and yet compare them to other businesses whenever it's convenient to do so. Wrong is wrong no matter how many others are caught doing it.
I am one of the people who are significantly impacted financially (and convenience-wise) due to the lack of communication from Tesla, and the dishonest/unkept-promises on delivery dates, with a carrot hanging in front of me. I sold my car in December when I had to move a new city, and placed an order for a Model S. When I placed this order, the website (and store reps) told me delivery time of 4 weeks. So, I got a rental car as a stop-gap solution. This car wasn't delivered and the refresh was announced in end-Jan with a promise of it being delivered in Feb or March. The store reps kept relaying the same promise with the timelines of Feb/March. This led me to keep exchanging/extending my car rental by a few weeks to upto a month each time, in anticipation of timing my rental duration to match with my delivery date. I'm out of several thousand $ and spent time on 5+ trips to the rental agency for exchanges. I'm annoyed that had Tesla been honest with their delivery estimates/promises, I would have been able to plan my transport needs better and not have spent so much money.

This was my 1st time ordering a Tesla/EV, and I definitely learned lessons to not trust companies/sales people too much :/. Sorry for the rant - this was to support other folks who are complaining.