Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki Model S Delivery Update

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Most car manufacturers are affected by the chip shortages. Apparently Tesla is also using the AMD Ryzen chip (playstation) in the refresh and this shortage is Tesla specific.
I have hundreds of new laptops with AMD Ryzen processors in them in our warehouse. That shortage was only a week or two tops we couldn't get them in stock.

Most car manufacturers are affected by the chip shortages. Apparently Tesla is also using the AMD Ryzen chip (playstation) in the refresh and this shortage is Tesla specific.

The whole global supply chain in a mess currently. Logistics is a nightmare for many companies. Ships are circling ports and trains are sitting loaded but cannot get unloaded. Demand is high and raw materials/capacities are stretched. It is across all parts - so it could be almost anything in the vehicle (metal, plastic, rubber, etc.).

Reactions: TNGuy99 and Drew-MS
If supply chain was the issue, Musk would have no issue blaming them on Twitter. This is not a “one more screw or chip” issue. It has got to be much bigger than that for such an extended delay. There’s something, or things, that is/are actually stopping them from producing legit refresh cars on the new production line. What is it? I don’t know. Missing fairy dust...

If supply chain was the issue, Musk would have no issue blaming them on Twitter. This is not a “one more screw or chip” issue. It has got to be much bigger than that for such an extended delay. There’s something, or things, that is/are actually stopping them from producing legit refresh cars on the new production line. What is it? I don’t know. Missing fairy dust...
Yup. If it were a raw materials thing, it wouldn't be just the Model S. Laptops have plenty of AMD Ryzen chips out there heavily doubt that's the issue. And yea, Elon stated thanks to their suppliers, not suppliers are screwing us so we can't get your car done. Haha.

Meanwhile a coworker of mine keeps getting his Model 3 he ordered Mid March pushed, now it's May on his page.

Also, I had to resubmit my trade in because I was going to just sell but then saw the difference in sales tax and didn't make any difference, so taking the convinent route. A week since I resubmitted and a final offer is in there but still pending an update from my financed part of that car for the total. So I'm not even ready for delivery anymore hah. Though still shows 10-14 weeks from order date.

Delivery problems not unique to Tesla:

I have ordered and taken delivery of two cars to this point. A Ford Fusion, in 2014 and a Cadillac Escalade also in 2014. Neither experience was much different from this experience. The Fusion was mid-model year and standard production, but still took months and the updates were few and far between. I was given all kinds of excuses.

But the Escalade was outrageous. It too was a "refreshed" model the 2015 Escalade. Here are a few of the highlights (memory refreshed by email threads):
  • 3/22/14: Dealer says placing the order and will sell at "invoice" price. I was buying from an out-of-town dealer and they knew that was the only way they'd get my business.
    • I provided the dealer the build from the Cadillac website.
    • Dealer stated they would confirm the price when they placed the order on 3/24.
  • Bunch of back and forth and 3/25 says about to place order, confirm invoice price is $86.393
  • 3/26/14, get order detail confirmation showing list price of $90,620. Dealer states I'll only pay the invoice cost when it comes in.
  • 4/1/14 "your order has been accepted by GM, hoping for delivery in May"
  • 4/25/14 Our existing escalade lease ended so we had to rent a car until the new Escalade was ready.
  • 5/10/14 "it is in the preliminary order accepted" "it is at least 4 weeks out"
  • 5/13/14 "They will be starting on the sold order around 6/2-6/16" "You should have your new Escalade middle of July or so."
  • 5/16/14 I enquired with the dealer after reading about the Cadillac logo change. He replied: "the logo and upgraded nav will be on your Escalade"
  • Rumor sites reporting delays with a very small number of Escalades appearing to have been delivered. No statement form Cadillac.
  • Rumors of change from 6-speed to 8-speed transmission and other refresh updates even though old-logo 6-speeds appearing in the wild.
  • 6/24/14 No VIN assigned "it is backed up and slow" "our hands are tied."
  • 6/24/14 additional email from dealer replying to me:
    • "I sure understand the frustration with this, I am frustrated to, along with EVERY Cadillac dealer in the states. There is no way for me to get you an expected delivery date or even an expected build date at this time. They are over 1,000 pre-sold orders behind with trouble getting the materials, the rails to ship them and truckers to truck them.
    • I am so sorry but we are all in the same boat..... if you want to cancel I sure do understand but it won't be any better going elsewhere. I have exhausted every avenue trying to get a better answer for you. Right now the BEST CASE would be the end of August more than likely, and that is no promise.
    • I'm trying to be as upfront with this as possible and I do realize that it does not help. When we placed the order for you all this was not taking place.
  • Cadillac made a few "old-logo" "refreshed escalades" as 2015 with the new body shape but old logos, transmissions, navigation etc. and then decided to halt that without telling anyone while they updated to the new items.
  • 9/6/14 I spend hours calling and someone at Cadillac tells me production won't restart until for 30 days. Dealer knows nothing.
  • 10/16/14 Dealer reports VIN assigned and provides number, says new list price is $91,895 and expected delivery is 10/28.
  • 11/13/14 Says car close, re-confirms he's still selling at "Invoice less incentives" but can't tell me until the car arrives.
  • 11/24/14 I agreed to pay a $3.5K price increase from what the dealer originally agreed to as he said they have people waiting to pay full price that he can sell my car to today. $1.3K of the increase was list price increase, the rest was just to benefit the dealer.
At least with Tesla I don't have to go through a dealer to add insult to injury.

I have ordered and taken delivery of two cars to this point. A Ford Fusion, in 2014 and a Cadillac Escalade also in 2014. Neither experience was much different from this experience. The Fusion was mid-model year and standard production, but still took months and the updates were few and far between. I was given all kinds of excuses.

But the Escalade was outrageous. It too was a "refreshed" model the 2015 Escalade. Here are a few of the highlights (memory refreshed by email threads):
  • 3/22/14: Dealer says placing the order and will sell at "invoice" price. I was buying from an out-of-town dealer and they knew that was the only way they'd get my business.
    • Dealer stated they would confirm the price when they placed the order on 3/24.
  • Bunch of back and forth and 3/25 says about to place order, confirm invoice price is $86.393
  • 3/26/14, get order detail confirmation showing list price of $90,620. Dealer states I'll only pay the invoice cost when it comes in.
  • 4/25/14 Our existing escalade lease ended so we had to rent a car until the new Escalade was ready.
  • 5/10/14 "it is in the preliminary order accepted" "it is at least 4 weeks out"
  • 5/13/14 "They will be starting on the sold order around 6/2-6/16" "You should have your new Escalade middle of July or so."
  • 5/16/14 I enquired with the dealer after reading about the Cadillac logo change. He replied: "the logo and upgraded nav will be on your Escalade"
  • Rumor sites reporting delays with a very small number of Escalades appearing to have been delivered. No statement form Cadillac.
  • Rumors of change from 6-speed to 8-speed transmission and other refresh updates even though old-logo 6-speeds appearing in the wild.
    • "I sure understand the frustration with this, I am frustrated to, along with EVERY Cadillac dealer in the states. There is no way for me to get you an expected delivery date or even an expected build date at this time. They are over 1,000 pre-sold orders behind with trouble getting the materials, the rails to ship them and truckers to truck them.
    • I am so sorry but we are all in the same boat..... if you want to cancel I sure do understand but it won't be any better going elsewhere. I have exhausted every avenue trying to get a better answer for you. Right now the BEST CASE would be the end of August more than likely, and that is no promise.
    • I'm trying to be as upfront with this as possible and I do realize that it does not help. When we placed the order for you all this was not taking place.
  • Cadillac made a few "old-logo" "refreshed escalades" as 2015 with the new body shape but old logos, transmissions, navigation etc. and then decided to halt that without telling anyone while they updated to the new items.
  • 9/6/14 I spend hours calling and someone at Cadillac tells me production won't restart until for 30 days. Dealer knows nothing.
  • 10/16/14 Dealer reports VIN assigned and provides number, says new list price is $91,895 and expected delivery is 10/28.
  • 11/13/14 Says car close, re-confirms he's still selling at "Invoice less incentives" but can't tell me until the car arrives.
  • 11/24/14 I agreed to pay a $3.5K price increase from what the dealer originally agreed to as he said they have people waiting to pay full price that he can sell my car to today. $1.3K of the increase was list price increase, the rest was just to benefit the dealer.
At least with Tesla I don't have to go through a dealer to add insult to injury.
Can confirm that one of the things that drove me to Tesla was the lack of a dealer.

As annoyed as I feel, it’s refreshing that I don’t feel cheated as well.

I’m concerned though that Elon may answer questions about the Model S on the call with the old gems, “we’re basically making them for sentimental reasons” and “they’re not material to our bottom line”.

So you are saying that it is not the fairy dust that is missing necessarily, but maybe the fairies are messing it up somehow?

• Funny
Reactions: elguapo
But is at least part of the problem a combination of one chip here (don't most cars have a few dozen chips throughout the build?) + 3 screws over there + some plastic trim elsewhere. And oh-by-the-way the same problems for the production line that was being re-tooled in addition to the vehicles themselves.

Several other auto manufacturers have shut down production in recent months as well. I could see how this whole dilemma could be magnified for a smaller company that's mid-refresh.

Absolutely agree it's not just supply chain, and you'd hope they were lining up a lot of these items back in Dec/Jan as well. But could definitely be in the mix and adding a few weeks to the timeline.

Reactions: Hayseed_MS
But is at least part of the problem a combination of one chip here (don't most cars have a few dozen chips throughout the build?) + 3 screws over there + some plastic trim elsewhere. And oh-by-the-way the same problems for the production line that was being re-tooled in addition to the vehicles themselves.

Several other auto manufacturers have shut down production in recent months as well. I could see how this whole dilemma could be magnified for a smaller company that's mid-refresh.

Absolutely agree it's not just supply chain, and you'd hope they were lining up a lot of these items back in Dec/Jan as well. But could definitely be in the mix and adding a few weeks to the timeline.
It may be a timing issue. Maybe they’re trying to coordinate the refresh with version 9.0 of the vehicle OS and release of the FSD beta to the general public as a means to produce a cohesive product. From most recent updates Elon has said June for the FSD expansion to the rest of fleet via “download button “. FSD subscription slated for next month

It may be a timing issue. Maybe they’re trying to coordinate the refresh with version 9.0 of the vehicle OS and release of the FSD beta to the general public as a means to produce a cohesive product. From most recent updates Elon has said June for the FSD expansion to the rest of fleet via “download button “. FSD subscription slated for next month

This is my guess, especially since no stalks.

Interesting article and thanks for sharing it. Two things:
  1. This couldn't delay the build as they could build it in and activate via software when authorized, or just start adding it to new cars later.
  2. Isn't it ironic that just as Elon states that all FSD will be light-based and not use radar, that he then plans to use radar to monitor the driver?

Thanks for that reminder of the dealership experience.

Sucky experience but not really different than the Tesla experience with Tesla and their SA's. Feel lucky, you only paid $3.5k more than you agreed for a updated vehicle. I am paying $8k more than the one I originally signed (and yes, I realize it is a much better vehicle so I am glad to pay the difference).

Reactions: T-Racer
Sucky experience but not really different than the Tesla experience with Tesla and their SA's. Feel lucky, you only paid $3.5k more than you agreed for a updated vehicle. I am paying $8k more than the one I originally signed (and yes, I realize it is a much better vehicle so I am glad to pay the difference).
That is really my point... that this is not unique. I remember the Cadillac forum having conversations much like here. Except of course the people here are going to end up with a Tesla rather than an ICE car. Funny thing about the $8K comment... we just paid $5,500 to replace that 8-speed transmission. So I guess we got there. I look forward to the world of lower maintenance!

Have you received your $2K discount off the $10K price increase (on paper)? I haven't and assumed that it would show up once the vehicle does and all the paperwork is being finalized.

Have you received your $2K discount off the $10K price increase (on paper)? I haven't and assumed that it would show up once the vehicle does and all the paperwork is being finalized.
I was told the 2k pre refresh order discount and the 2k for pre FSD price increase will be applied when you get the built sheet and VIN. Oh wait, never mind.

• Funny
Reactions: gadelrosario