Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki Model S Delivery Update

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Is Tesla thinking the demand is too low for Plaid models, or at least lower than the production volume they plan on shipping in the next couple of months?

Asking because I got a call from a Tesla employee out of Fremont this morning about my Plaid+ reservation. He was excitedly telling me that they're about to start deliveries in a couple of weeks and I should seriously consider the Plaid model so I can get it by "July at the latest". Of course, I would have to cancel my Plaid+ order, get the $1,000 deposit refunded, then place a new order for the Plaid. Which means losing my $8,000 FSD pricing and forking out 2k more.

I said no thanks, I'm not in a hurry. And that I would rather wait until the car is available for test drives so I can see it in person first. Oh, and he claimed to think showroom models and test drive vehicles would be available a few weeks after deliveries start, so July or August at the latest.

Needless to say, I won't believe any of this until I see it.

I tell ya, seeing everyone’s random and ever-changing delivery targets combined with Tesla’s horrendous communication makes me hope they figure this out for the gazillion Cybertruck reservation holders. Our Model S debacle is a refresh of a well established vehicle...the CT involves completely new build methods using new materials with new battery technology in a new factory. It’s gonna be wild. 😬
Can we start a complaint thread now? Should be a doozy

Is Tesla thinking the demand is too low for Plaid models, or at least lower than the production volume they plan on shipping in the next couple of months?

Asking because I got a call from a Tesla employee out of Fremont this morning about my Plaid+ reservation. He was excitedly telling me that they're about to start deliveries in a couple of weeks and I should seriously consider the Plaid model so I can get it by "July at the latest". Of course, I would have to cancel my Plaid+ order, get the $1,000 deposit refunded, then place a new order for the Plaid. Which means losing my $8,000 FSD pricing and forking out 2k more.

I said no thanks, I'm not in a hurry. And that I would rather wait until the car is available for test drives so I can see it in person first. Oh, and he claimed to think showroom models and test drive vehicles would be available a few weeks after deliveries start, so July or August at the latest.

Needless to say, I won't believe any of this until I see it.

my guess is that Tesla realized that the mythical Plaid+ is cutting into their sales of Plaid. which seems like a self-evident problem with selling future model products. I don’t see other companies doing this. I don’t see 2022 model iPads on Apple‘s website.

of course, the other problem with selling a car that doesn’t exist is you have to make it. Which Tesla may have realized is more difficult than Elon whimsically thought one day. So perhaps they want to get rid of Plaid+ orders as much as they want to increase Plaid orders.

I think we may see Tesla transition to selling products and services that actually exist, like pretty much every other company in the world.

Last edited:
my guess is that Tesla realized that the mythical Plaid+ is cutting into their sales of Plaid. which seems like a self-evident problem with selling future model products. I don’t see other companies doing this. I don’t see 2022 model iPads on Apple‘s website.

of course, the other problem with selling a car that doesn’t exist is you have to make it. Which Tesla may have realized is more difficult than Elon whimsically thought one day. So perhaps they want to get rid of Plaid+ orders as much as they want to increase Plaid orders.

I think we may see Tesla transition to selling products that actually exist like pretty much every other company in the world.
Interesting. Is there a possibility Plaid+ will be cancelled altogether? Perhaps to reserve 4680 cells to CT, Semi, and Roadster?

Interesting. Is there a possibility Plaid+ will be cancelled altogether? Perhaps to reserve 4680 cells to CT, Semi, and Roadster?
The Model Y that is produced in Giga Berlin and Giga Texas are supposed to have the 4680 batteries also. I am curious what the difference (cost/specs) between the Model S LR vs Plaid vs Plaid +. I could envision the Plaid+ being eliminated once they actually start producing the Roadster. Wasn’t there a standard range Model Y that briefly exist before they cancelled it? With Tesla you never know.

Reactions: FlatSix911
Went from Blank to June 23-30 this morning.. not that it means much 😝

For the ones that have gone through this order process with Tesla before: How much notice did you get for an actual delivery date? And how many days did you have to take delivery? Is it a big deal to reschedule the delivery a few days later?

This is the second or third time I’ve had this date range estimate. But it’s also about the worst week for me to try to make it happen over the next couple of months, especially if it’s confirmed with a short notice. I’m scheduled to take delivery in Nashville which is about six hours away for me. And during that week I’m booked on a whole other trip.. sigh

Went from Blank to June 23-30 this morning.. not that it means much 😝

For the ones that have gone through this order process with Tesla before: How much notice did you get for an actual delivery date? And how many days did you have to take delivery? Is it a big deal to reschedule the delivery a few days later?

This is the second or third time I’ve had this date range estimate. But it’s also about the worst week for me to try to make it happen over the next couple of months, especially if it’s confirmed with a short notice. I’m scheduled to take delivery in Nashville which is about six hours away for me. And during that week I’m booked on a whole other trip.. sigh
I think a few days would be ok. But if it puts it into Q3, they may put you in another VIN.

Last edited:
Reactions: JimmyMS
Anyone else still missing a delivery date. Originally ordered 2/17, original delivery date last week of March. Changed to 4-11 weeks, August, Last week of June, August again and now doesn't show anything.
Mine disappeared Wednesday and hasn’t been back since, but I just ordered 5/3 so I’m not putting much stock in it meaning anything. I was September prior so I view it as an improvement. 😉

Same, just blank still. I also just ordered early May, so I am not expecting to much. But I did order plaid with CF - that was the only option at the time. My delivery time started at august, then to June, then to august. Now blank and been like that almost all week.