Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki Model S Delivery Update

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Will the cars technically be 2022 models by the time we get them?
Tesla used to wait until mid-December to start coding cars as the following year model, but someone posted a few days back here that around 2019 they began to conform to industry practice (marketing puffery actually) to more September/October production. They had been the odd duck because unlike other manufacturers they don’t do annual facelifts so there wasn’t a “new models arriving” marketing push. But given these are all new MS’s, there’s a possibility all cars produced this year will be 2022s. I’ve seen some new models from GM and Ford come out as early as March be given the following year model designation. Marketers are shameless!

Reactions: foos
Tesla used to wait until mid-December to start coding cars as the following year model, but someone posted a few days back here that around 2019 they began to conform to industry practice (marketing puffery actually) to more September/October production. They had been the odd duck because unlike other manufacturers they don’t do annual facelifts so there wasn’t a “new models arriving” marketing push. But given these are all new MS’s, there’s a possibility all cars produced this year will be 2022s. I’ve seen some new models from GM and Ford come out as early as March be given the following year model designation. Marketers are shameless!

A VIN visible from the lot with a bunch of dusty refreshes was coded as a model year 2021. Unless those cars aren't going to be sold to customers, the first of these refreshes will be 2021's.

I mean... this isnt bad right?

Attachments

• tesla.png
    tesla.png
    2.8 MB · Views: 160
Reactions: JimLL and T-Racer
I mean... this isnt bad right?
I don’t think I have seen that many white cars before, so it looks like they might have switched to white car production. I counted 13 white Model S cars and 2 white Model X in the picture @dbtrizzle posted.

If you look at the very top of that picture there is also a Silver Metallic Model S that was discontinued in 2018 that decided to photobomb the picture.

A25B5761-50EF-44CE-A076-781CFA8ED703.jpeg

Last edited:
Perhaps call it a 2021 1/2? The new Mustang designated as a 1964 1/2 to this day stands it apart.

I don’t think I have seen that many white cars before, so it looks like they might have switched to white car production. I counted 13 white Model S cars and 2 white Model X in the picture @dbtrizzle posted.

If you look at the very top of that picture there is also a standard silver Model S that hasn’t been produced for a few years, so they aren’t all new refresh cars for some reason.
So is the supply chain issue about red paint then? :p

For me it was 10-14 weeks, August - September, June, June 1 - June 30, Blank, August, Blank, and now June 23 - June 30... LOL.

I assume you'd get an update to June 23 - June 30 soon as well. Which makes sense, if they're starting the deliveries on the June 10 delivery event, and it takes roughly a week or so for the actual transport to us here near the east coast, and add 3 - 4 days for processing etc. But yeah June 23 seems pretty reasonable.
I’m just over the border in NY from PA. Ordered April 15th

Mine changed to August today from June 23-30th

Hoping it changes back

• Informative
Reactions: T-Racer