Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki Model S Delivery Update

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It's great that it's the fastest production car in the world and that gets headlines and most Plaid owners will drive their cars fast for maybe a month and then it won't matter...

But, for us peasants not getting a Plaid but instead the Long Range peasant mobile - seems to me like Tesla over-hyped and under-delivered a car that they will "fix" over time with software updates. I do think them making no progress on range is a big disappointment and "cancelling" the Plaid+ that they made up out of thin air off of some bogus excuse, also, BS over-promising and over-hyping.
Someone woke up on the wrong side of their bed this morning...

Tail lights get modernized within the same form factor all the time in the automotive world. What makes you think Tesla would change the sheet metal to do it? Very unlikely! Tesla has a track record of making small, incremental improvement. Changing the sheet metal would be a massive undertaking with no clear benefit at this point.

This trunk looks different to me (not including the spoiler) - it doesnt have the big bar in the middle. Granted - the taillights still look the same lol.

Tesla-Model-S-Plaid-1-1024x672.jpg

It's great that it's the fastest production car in the world and that gets headlines and most Plaid owners will drive their cars fast for maybe a month and then it won't matter...

But, for us peasants not getting a Plaid but instead the Long Range peasant mobile - seems to me like Tesla over-hyped and under-delivered a car that they will "fix" over time with software updates. I do think them making no progress on range is a big disappointment and "cancelling" the Plaid+ that they made up out of thin air off of some bogus excuse, also, BS over-promising and over-hyping.
Utter nonsense.

Tail lights get modernized within the same form factor all the time in the automotive world. What makes you think Tesla would change the sheet metal to do it? Very unlikely!
Actually I think it would be very likely. As the main goal of the redesign is likely to fit a bigger charge port, or ports. (CCS2 for EU, and GB/T DC and GB/T AC for China.)

Is it actually easy to just "swap" them out? How would you do that? Likely, Tesla replaces the trunk and taillight design - are you going to spend thousands more for a new trunk and taillight design?

Looking at the active spolier pics, it is just tailgate change. If that is the case then it will be an easy change out. Changing sheet metal is a huge cost and time.

The beauty of Tesla is that we will not know for sure until after it happens.

I expect near 100% they will do a track package of sorts but the wider body will do it with add on panels not new metal underpinngs.

Reactions: Drew-MS and Tigers
You missed my point. My point was Tesla should have just shut up and not announced numbers until the car could be independently tested in the person. There was no need for hyping the car before hand. If then knew what it could so, shut up and let the proof of the pudding be in the eating.
Well, there are different ways to look at it. Their strategy was probably to get the word out there and get people talking about the unheard of 1.99. It got me interested 🤷‍♂️. And the car didn’t disappoint

Reactions: Elixir and byeLT4
It’s just speculation. That could be for an optional track package.

Why would they design a new charge port for the track package and label the current one as "interim"?

Active aero liftgate I could see that, but the charge port, including naming, no. They've even removed the diagram on the EPC of the charge port showing the new one. I think they didn't mean to let that slip.

Why would they design a new charge port for the track package and label the current one as "interim"?

Active aero liftgate I could see that, but the charge port, including naming, no. They've even removed the diagram on the EPC of the charge port showing the new one. I think they didn't mean to let that slip.

I just checked the EPC again. They removed the word "interim". There is still no part #2 though.

A $90,000 car is hardly a “peasant mobile” and a 3 second 0-60 is quicker than 99% of what’s on the road today. There is always going to be something better. A one-up. The next best thing.
I, personally, am going to enjoy my Plaid and not belittle the next car that comes along in a year and trumps my 0-60 time. The present day Plaid is an engineering feat to be admired. Don’t take my word for it, just read the professional reviews starting to trickle out.

Fair enough, hopefully we’ll find out soon. We are all just speculating like we did for months back in Feb and March. A lot of our predictions back then (about the delays) were false.

Reactions: EndlessPlaid
A $90,000 car is hardly a “peasant mobile” and a 3 second 0-60 is quicker than 99% of what’s on the road today. There is always going to be something better. A one-up. The next best thing.
I, personally, am going to enjoy my Plaid and not belittle the next car that comes along in a year and trumps my 0-60 time. The present day Plaid is an engineering feat to be admired. Don’t take my word for it, just read the professional reviews starting to trickle out.
Oh, he reads the reviews…

Really nice write-up. Interesting observation/experience with the new Plaid (Brembro) brakes, but I have to wonder if he's talking more about braking on the track or just everyday driving? Besides, any Plaid owner can simply change out the brakes if they really want...it will cost $4k+ to get better, driller/slotted rotors & larger calipers/ceramic brake pads, but it can be done. I think for most people driving the Plaid (who are not tracking it like me for example), the oem brakes may be quite sufficient for everyday driving + some occasional spirited driving. Thoughts?
Typically, big brakes will cost more, I'd think close to 10K and more for ceramics...
But I have no doubt that existing brakes are as good as they can be for a daily driving, except track, and maybe canyon runs.
Bigger brakes don't buy you better stopping times, as they're contact patch limited. They buy you more termal capacity to withstanding track temperatures longer

I've been track junkie, so I know a bit on this subject; it used to be the case that brakes were about twice as strong as the engine.

But that was then, and this is now. I think that shop owner is under influence of that old 2x rule. To him, brakes don't feel as strong as they should, compared to acceleration. Because acceleration moved forward, but brakes haven't. Today's Motortrend article/test has shown that max G-s generated have been almost equal in acceleration and breaking. Which again means they're tire/contact-patch limited. Tesla has pushed motors to the limits equal of brakes, but can't do anything more on the brakes for now; until tire technology progresses, or they put massively wider tires - which won't happen.

So, if you want the best, upgrade brakes for more termal capacity, so you can occasionally track the car - but no one in their right mind will seriously track Plaid - it's too big.

Having said this, is the shop owner right that people will die? Very likely. Some people will just not compute enough of the accelaration/speed/brakes ratios to be safe. But should this mean that Tesla shouldn't have produced such a powerful car? I feel there is something to be said re free will...

I know that when my 10 year old is 16-20, he WON'T drive this car. My daughter, we'll see, maybe... Wait, is this sexism? 🤣