Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki Model S Delivery Update

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm wondering - I think and it has been widely said, that Tesla is trying to max out revenue for Q2 - but then why are they shipping outside of California, to the east coast, etc.? If they were REALLY trying to get the most cars into hands as quickly as possible, wouldn't they ship to CA only, then neighboring states, and lastly, if they had cars that didn't match what was ordered, push further out?
I'm wondering if there is indeed still a shortage of parts - tons of cars at the lots, but also, maybe they're using distant logistics (trucking companies) to help show they are making deliveries, but avoid revealing they are not getting as many cars to SCs as they could if there weren't shortages?
I don't know what is involved in getting the cars on the trains, which I think are the usual shipping methods (I think I read cheaper, less damage, etc.) - so if they had a backlog of cars to move out, yeah, train, truck, carrier pigeon, whatever - but with a truck transport - how many can you get on one of those - 10? 8? so maybe they ship the "max" amount of cars on transports they can - say 200 at a time with all the trucks, versus train cars that could hold how many cars - 40 each? more?
Let's say a truck can carry 10 cars (whether S, 3, or a combination - and let's say from CA to NY takes what, 5 days? longer? and then do they get that trailer back, or do they have constantly rotating drivers and trailers? I have no idea, but if SAME truck trailer, that would be then what, another 5 days (empty) - so roughly 10 cars in 10 days. maybe less cars in more days.
That could help explain/justify a bottleneck, versus parts shortages. I think we're beyond issues and tweaks slowing things down, but I think I read the 19" wheels aren't even being mass produced yet?
just wondering. Not saying conspiracy, but saying if I was responsible with maximizing number of cars sold/delivered, I'd minimize the shipping.
The cars on the lot are probably sitting due to parts shortages.. CF, 19s, etc..

A few weeks ago, I offered to pick up my car in CA, no one got back to me. Last week, feeling desperate, called again and said I’ll eat the tax difference between CA and NY.. still waiting 🥱.. blaming the 19” shitt show

Reactions: EndlessPlaid
Not to nitpick and at the risk of going off topic, this is not a “period” situation, plenty of examples of mass produced cars appreciating (especially instantly) upon release/delivery. Many. Your general statement is right, but it’s not a blanket statement, dont want people who may not know better taking it as such. As far as the Plaid….time will tell, but I agree, probably minimal up front benefit and only in the beginning (IE take delivery now, someone will pay $10k over to not wait) but nothing extreme, thats my prediction.
One point here, is that for someone who had a prior reservation for a Plaid+, as I did, and changed after the call Tesla made, FSD will be 2K less than now. Also, if you changed before the price went up 10K, then you are driving off the lot so to speak at a price that is 12k less than someone who buys today. That assumes of course I actually get a car delivered soon :)

The cars on the lot are probably sitting due to parts shortages.. CF, 19s, etc..

A few weeks ago, I offered to pick up my car in CA, no one got back to me. Last week, feeling desperate, called again and said I’ll eat the tax difference between CA and NY.. still waiting 🥱.. blaming the 19” shitt show
Yea, I wouldn’t mind doing a trip out of picking it up either. Wish instead of picking one SC, you could pick up to 10 in whatever order you want.

Not even a RWD Model 3 Long Range with 18" aeros in 70 degree weather with the AC off is getting 200 Wh/mile on the highway. Not sure where you got that idea from.

Well, technically that depends on how you define highway and most importantly what speed you’re going 😉 At 55mph that might be doable! At around 40mph (without any stops) these cars can go crazy distances. Just takes a while!

Reactions: EndlessPlaid
My car betta than yo car......vroom vroom lol you can disagree with it and that's okay. I understand calling older Model S a "freaking joke" hit a nerve with you but you have to understand it's coming from a good place. I think Tesla did not treat the Model S/X owners right by offering superior things in Model 3 and now Y. And they chose to sit on it for over 8 years without any significant changes, but they were quick to make enhanced changes and offer features to 3/Y owners at fraction of the cost. I understand your love for older model S but the truth is majority of people are and were in the same boat after test driving older model S. It certainly seemed like paying more for less when it came to comparing model S with 3 back in 2018. I do think my knowledge of S cars is limited compared to you, however, my opinion is based on test driving older model S (multiple variants) multiple times and then driving a 2020 raven variant. It's okay, we can agree to disagree here.
But that Free Supercharging though! Now that is Awesome!

I'm not saying my car is better than yours. I'm saying comparisons aren't helpful.

But you're right, I think Tesla did lay down in 2018 and had too much focus on the 3 but they needed it to succeed and their strategy of ignoring the S/X worked out now. It was a rough 3 years but I really think the differences are and were still there. It's rude and insulting to 2018 to 2020 owners to say they're stupid for choosing an S or X.

Thanks for discussing it though and you're really going to love an S. It's the best car no matter the year. And if you can get a loaner, you might find some features you love in the older cars you can't get now in any Tesla and you might understand why we aren't suckers.

Boom, just got a VIN, updated all the insurance, loans, payments etc. Scheduled for delivery tomorrow out of Plano SC. Pretty epic surprise.
So, everyone...correct me if I'm wrong but it seems as if all these VINs are in fact assigned at the delivery center and NOT by the Fremont factory, correct? All these people who get VINs assigned also schedule delivery for a day or two later, so it only makes sense that VINs are assigned at your local Tesla SC/Delivery Centers that already have the vehicles there on their lots, correct?

I'm not saying my car is better than yours. I'm saying comparisons aren't helpful.

But you're right, I think Tesla did lay down in 2018 and had too much focus on the 3 but they needed it to succeed and their strategy of ignoring the S/X worked out now. It was a rough 3 years but I really think the differences are and were still there. It's rude and insulting to 2018 to 2020 owners to say they're stupid for choosing an S or X.

Thanks for discussing it though and you're really going to love an S. It's the best car no matter the year. And if you can get a loaner, you might find some features you love in the older cars you can't get now in any Tesla and you might understand why we aren't suckers.
I was not trying to be rude and insinuating people who chose older S/X were suckers. These cars offered several advantages over smaller variants and we both know if every 3/Y owner could afford to get a S/X there would never be a 3 or Y. They definitely are different cars for different people with different budgets and needs. No, you guys aren't suckers at all. The company would not have been here if it wasn't for you early adopters. It's all coming from a good place my friend. Thank you for being respectful while discussing this.

So, everyone...correct me if I'm wrong but it seems as if all these VINs are in fact assigned at the delivery center and NOT by the Fremont factory, correct? All these people who get VINs assigned also schedule delivery for a day or two later, so it only makes sense that VINs are assigned at your local Tesla SC/Delivery Centers that already have the vehicles there on their lots, correct?
From what I understand, they are assigned at the factory but there are some VINs that are assigned at the SC for extra inventory in the area that match the configurations of a purchaser.

Not me, I think there are some unmatched owners/vins being shipped out but the process I went through felt more coordinated. Received an e-mail Requesting payment, made payment, system updated with a Vin and a few hours later a text to schedule delivery. I have had been from my SC call me to move around delivery.

Mine was assigned while the car was in transit from Fremont to Washington. I don’t think it was the SC doing it but who knows. It could just as well be done by Fremont but they’re just putting cars on trucks as fast as they can and matching as they go out the door.

Yea, I wouldn’t mind doing a trip out of picking it up either. Wish instead of picking one SC, you could pick up to 10 in whatever order you want.
If I get the call, I’ll be ready in minutes and omw to the airport to catch the next flight. Not even joking
Not me, I think there are some unmatched owners/vins being shipped out but the process I went through felt more coordinated. Received an e-mail Requesting payment, made payment, system updated with a Vin and a few hours later a text to schedule delivery. I have had been from my SC call me to move around delivery.
Mt. Kisco ?
Nvm, got it

still not sure of the process. I would think factory produces, allocates via VIN to SC, then delivers. If someone refuses to take it, SCs can reallocate to their customer base. According to my SC, they can't allocate something to me from another location but can assign me anything a customer refuses to take delivery for.