Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki Model S Delivery Update

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I emailed my advisor expressing my doubt that my July estimate is accurate noting the 19" rim delay and carbon fiber delay. He, without any guarantees, urged confidence in the estimate being that he's seeing several plaid deliveries a day at his location and that Tesla loves delivering them because they are the "highest margin vehicle at this time."

Still skeptical though, but hope he's right. Still no VIN. At least I'm looking forward to Q3 earnings!
Nailed it. Speak about the money, not about the reality that no 19s have been delivered.

So I thought the navigation had "live" traffic views? I only see a blue line when I'm navigating. In Google Maps it shows green, red orange etc.
Is there somewhere you need to turn this on in the new S?
You would need to turn traffic overlay on. But it’s only going to show slow downs (yellow and reds) - not green / full speed

Curious to know, how does the paint look amazing despite having 28 years of rock chips? On my other cars, there are around half a dozen rock chips on the front end and makes me cringe every time. Sure as hell, I was not going to repeat the mistake on my new car.
From my personal experience, the paint correction and ceramic coating did make a visible difference and i will be getting it done every two years.
Happy to satisfy your curiosity. Rock chips are not paint. That's just rock chips. The paint still had a beautiful shine to it, and looked new. The chips were only on the hood and front bumper, and only noticeable upon closer inspection, which nobody but me ever did. Everyone else was simply impressed with how nice the car looked.

That is what wax and wash is for. I know ceramic coating saves time, but at a cost of money. I'll stick to what has worked for me. My 28 year old car had plenty of rock chips, but the paint still looked amazing. Also, I don't plan to sell this car for at least 8 years. At that point rock chips won't decrease the value enough to make the PPF worth it.
Rock chips, scratches etc are a very easy diy repair. During the first few months of Covid quarantine, I just watched videos on fixing sh*t because I was bored. It was hard getting contractors for a bit so I just did stuff myself. I even ceramic coated my SUV and it came out pretty good.

OK…. WHY, do you drive so much you need that much juice every day? Is it so low at night to have to push 80amps to get it charged by the time you leave in the morning. These batteries and happiest between 20-80%, no doubting that. I let it go down to 30% and then plug it in and get it up to 70-80%. I also set it to 30amps because there is no rush. I charge up to 95- 100% just before I leave for a trip and I have no concerns about superchargeing up to 80%. I just don’t understand why someone would charge at higher rates that what you need to leave in the morning. My old M-5 could drive on the freeway in 3rd gear at 6000rpm but why would you do it, shift up and let it run at 2,500rpm. Take it easy on your equipment and it will take it easy on you.
Well.

COVID times aside I often drive quite a bit during the (work) day for a variety of reasons. My 2015 P90D is at 113k miles right now. I just got home at 9:30p with about 50 miles left. That’s not unusual, sometimes more, sometimes less. So why not 90%?

It is true that it will take about 3 hours to bring it back up to its normal 90%. I could do it at half speed and take 6 hours, but, I dunno, why bother either way? I don’t believe I’m seeing any significant impact on the battery because of it compared to others who have a 100k miles.

Now having said all that, the real reason it’s 90% is because that’s what they told me to do in 2012 and, well, that’s the top of the ”daily” range, so I’ve always just set it and not thought about it. The real reason it’s 80A is because that’s what the HPWC and the dual charger do and that was the default. Will I continue to do 90% if my Plaid ever actually shows up? Maybe. I might just do 80% because that’s comfortable miles given the total range and if keeping it at 80% means I keep three extra miles of top range for the next five years, sure, yes. Will I be mad that dual chargers are no longer a thing and I‘ll be ”stuck” at lower amps? I won’t be. I suspect maybe once in the next three years I’ll wish it were faster because that’s about the right timing for how many times I wished I had 80 instead of 40A at a destination charger since my first S.

After saying IDGAF earlier in this very thread, I'm getting PPF on the whole car next week. Please ridicule me, because I deserve it.

But also help me decide whether I want 'xpel stealth', which is matte/satin, or normal xpel, which keeps the car glossy. I truly can't decide if the matte look is 'dated' or still looks good.

here's the video that made me consider satin/matte..

react 💡 for gloss
react ❤️ for matte

I am having the same thoughts. I think it’s just my brain trying fill up the void while I wait for some sign, any sign that I’ll ever get my actual car.

I am guessing this is OCDetailing since thats the price I got too. There are other reputable shops which will get the job done for less and they will be just as good.
I didn't opt for the full car and went for the full front instead including the A pillars due to 1) cost 2) front is the most high impact area. From my previous experience, I have had rock chips all over the front but not so much on the rest of the body. Avoiding getting rock chips was reason enough for me to not repeat the mistake of not getting one for my other cars.
I just got my Plaid covered with the new Suntek Reaction PPF. It has ceramic coating built into the material. I was a bit skeptical until I saw it completed. It has a higher gloss finish and is extremely smooth relative to either XPEL or the standard Suntek product. Total cost was 7K.

Now having said all that, the real reason it’s 90% is because that’s what they told me to do in 2012 and, well, that’s the top of the ”daily” range, so I’ve always just set it and not thought about it.
I've read that 90% is better for calibration and that's why it's the current recommendation. I do it on my 2016 and the plaid.

As for destination chargers, most of them don't even do 40 in my admittedly limited experience.

Oh wow that’s awesome. Congratulations! I ordered Model S LR Blue/ 21”/ cream/ FSD on 06/14. It said October for me initially, now is blank for past few days. Hopefully I get an update soon! Fingers crossed

I’m convinced the “going blank” part of the ordering experience is a social experiment to see how humans react when estimates don’t just change… - they completely disappear.

Looks like Tesla is doing pretty good answering BBB complaints. Maybe that should be the new method of communication instead of contacting clueless SAs who just feed us all different nonsense information, probably thinking we don’t all talk to each other.

Attachments

• 7B495284-3638-4911-8DB2-B4FCD3CAC7F3.png
    7B495284-3638-4911-8DB2-B4FCD3CAC7F3.png
    279.5 KB · Views: 84
Google Maps shows roads and allows input of Destination requests (navigation). But the car won't show live traffic data (orange/yellow lines) unless you have opted for Premium Connectivity ($9.99/month I believe). I think new cars supposed to have it for no charge for 12 months, but my wife's y didn't have it until we said something to SA and they activated it.
My MSLR Refresh came with 1 year Premium Connectivity. I also bought FSD (don't judge - I actually like it) so not sure if its a part of that or part of the Refresh itself.

I just got my Plaid covered with the new Suntek Reaction PPF. It has ceramic coating built into the material. I was a bit skeptical until I saw it completed. It has a higher gloss finish and is extremely smooth relative to either XPEL or the standard Suntek product. Total cost was 7K.
Thanks for sharing! Wish I knew about this earlier. Seems like a totally new product.

Reactions: EndlessPlaid