Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki Model S Delivery Update

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
For those near the GLen Allen VA SC and havent had a chance to check out a refresh up close, they have several on the premisis and one unlocked and open in the showroom. Interior build quality much improved over prior S for sure. With windows up, dead quiet. The rest has already been covered in numerous reviews. But looked and felt good like a much higher level of vehicle over my 2017 S

All of them had 21" arachnids of course. Two red outside still in partial plastic, a grey with black interior one inside. No badge on trunk.

It is the Tesla way and it sucks. But you will forget about it once you ha e your car
I heard this so many times during my wait. Took delivery 6/28 for my MS LR. All I can say is that its true. I've completely forgotten about my 5 month wait.

I would've waited til December for this car if I had to. But I might be biased, because no other car interested me. Not a Tesla fanboy either, this is my first.

Hmm, just found interesting thing. Those recent changes over accounts when people can see “agreement” tab, also brought changes to final price for me.

long story short, that RTA amount has been $1320 before today’s changes.

I live out of the zone where this fee applies. When I spoke with SAs they told me this amount will be voided since my registration’s address is out of that zone and they will adjust everything when I'll get a VIN and MVPA.
Probably this change is related to my recent change of pick-up location tho, but I'm not sure.

Attachments

• 6D1854D2-4A3E-490F-B69B-DF54D0234CA5.jpeg
    6D1854D2-4A3E-490F-B69B-DF54D0234CA5.jpeg
    77.4 KB · Views: 78
Last edited:
The EPA rating for the LR is 28kWh/100 Mi. That equates to a range of 357 Mi., not 405.
I think it is clear the battery is not >100kWh. So how can the EPA rating be listed as >357 Mi.?
Pretty simple math that doesn't add up.
View attachment 687444
You have to account for charging efficiency. It does take 28 kWh coming into your house to charge the car with enough to go 100 miles. Assume, for simple math, 90% charging efficiency. 28 x .9 = .252 so 252 kWh per 100 miles gives you a 100 kWh battery range of 397 miles. Close enough for me. Math is only simple if you know how the base numbers are arrived at. Range is not the same as efficiency, as far as the EPA sticker go, nothing new, always been like that. At least for EV’s

The EPA rating for the LR is 28kWh/100 Mi. That equates to a range of 357 Mi., not 405.
I think it is clear the battery is not >100kWh. So how can the EPA rating be listed as >357 Mi.?
Pretty simple math that doesn't add up.
View attachment 687444

I forget, is the 100 kWh pack confirmed anywhere or is that assumption. In both cases, the math implies a pack around ~114 kWh

So, I also wondered if something in the 12.25.2 changed performance characteristics, so I went out and ran the car again on my favorite stretch of road. The left run is from last week (7/20). The last firmware update was applied on 7/26. The center run is the 0-60 portion of my 1/4 mile run and the right run is from this morning. You can see the first and last are consistent (and I mean ridiculously consistent) and the center run is the anomaly. BTW, the 0-60 times for my first two fake runs on the drag strip were were 2.67s and 2.59s.

View attachment 687027

Just dropped a note of to the Sales Manager at my local Service Center as a last act of disgust.

If fellow Plaid+ to Plaid converts who were promised a June delivery would like to express our feelings to upper management in unison, I'll be happy to pitch in, take the lead or whatever else is needed to help. PM if interested.

Bill

nah, i think your reaction is hugely overblown. you sound like a toddler stamping his foot at not getting exactly what he wanted exactly when he wanted. production is hard. obviously unforeseen stuff came up. it honestly doesn't bother me in the least. the car is obviously going to be amazing (if it's anything like my current P100D). who cares if i get it a month or two later than promised. in the grand scheme of things, it's a total non issue and not worth my energy -- especially when it's not going to change anything. they're not holding your car just to screw with you.

@AlanSubie4Life already broke down the battery pack and has a thread going but the pack size is 102kwh for the plaid and slightly less for the LR. That's actually less capacity than the 2020 LR+ which had 104kwh.

Edit: "The current charging constant used for all calculations on the display is 246Whr/mi"

nah, i think your reaction is hugely overblown. you sound like a toddler stamping his foot at not getting exactly what he wanted exactly when he wanted. production is hard. obviously unforeseen stuff came up. it honestly doesn't bother me in the least. the car is obviously going to be amazing (if it's anything like my current P100D). who cares if i get it a month or two later than promised. in the grand scheme of things, it's a total non issue and not worth my energy -- especially when it's not going to change anything. they're not holding your car just to screw with you.
I think you missed Bill’s (@lolachampcar) story here, who is also a fellow Plaid+ convert and long-time Tesla / multiple-Tesla customer. Like many others, including myself, he was offered to convert his order to Plaid for a June delivery BEFORE Elon tweeted that “Plaid+ is cancelled”.

He actually did convert his order before the price hike, unlike me (I would certainly have, if I was told Plaid+ would be canceled just a few days later - but that’s a whole different story I won’t get into here).

Anyway, Bill was promised delivery in June despite having ordered a Plaid with 19” wheels, which we now know was never going to be possible, since no Model S with 19s was produced at all till now, but we did not know back in June.

Did Tesla actually know this (no 19s produced in June) and made a promise they could never keep? Someone at Tesla certainly did.

From my understanding, they also switched his order to 21” wheels without his permission, increasing his order by $4,500+tax extra - whereas @uthatcher was offered a free upgrade to 21s to make Q2 quota, but he’s in SoCal whereas @lolachampcar is in Florida, so Tesla probably thought it was more likely to make their delivery in Q2 by shipping to SoCal rather than FL.

Now Tesla is telling @lolachampcar that he can either take his Plaid’s delivery (once they lift the hold) with 21s at the additional $4,500+tax cost, or leave it and cancel his order. Not a great experience, IMHO.

Last edited:
For those near the GLen Allen VA SC and havent had a chance to check out a refresh up close, they have several on the premisis and one unlocked and open in the showroom. Interior build quality much improved over prior S for sure. With windows up, dead quiet. The rest has already been covered in numerous reviews. But looked and felt good like a much higher level of vehicle over my 2017 S

All of them had 21" arachnids of course. Two red outside still in partial plastic, a grey with black interior one inside. No badge on trunk.
Hope that’s not mine…have VIN and Edd range was as early as Monday….but was told not likely to be in/deliverable. Selfishly, would be a little miffed if other are enjoying and I am not.

Reactions: EndlessPlaid

Whoa! Thanks for the tip!

@AlanSubie4Life already broke down the battery pack and has a thread going but the pack size is 102kwh for the plaid and slightly less for the LR. That's actually less capacity than the 2020 LR+ which had 104kwh.

Edit: "The current charging constant used for all calculations on the display is 246Whr/mi"

The constant is correct but the final documents suggest about 99.3kWh. (The charging efficiency is surprisingly low compared to various other Tesla vehicles which is why the 103kWh estimate was high.)
Model S Plaid Battery Details, sourced from EPA Docs, Vehicle Observations, & Supercharging/Charging data