Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki Model S Delivery Update

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My Tesla Acct w/ my new VIN changed this morning to Est Delivery: Oct 20-28, 2021. If that holds, then it's likely my vehicle (and yes, white on white/cf, 21" wheels, FSD) should be getting on a transport truck to leave the Fremont factory soon. And no, it's not a model year 2022; it's still a 2021 model year vehicle likely produced in Sept.

I'm just guessing that they may have produced a big bunch of vehicles (with unassigned VINs) in Sept that ended up missing parts (unsure of which parts...nobody seems to really know) and were unable to make it out for EOQ deliveries. So, now, they're about to push them out and assigning VINs. I think many more TMC members may start to get VIN assignments for delivery in late Oct - Nov...but with the caveat that they may still be 2021 model year cars. Oh well.

My Tesla Acct w/ my new VIN changed this morning to Est Delivery: Oct 20-28, 2021. If that holds, then it's likely my vehicle (and yes, white on white/cf, 21" wheels, FSD) should be getting on a transport truck to leave the Fremont factory soon. And no, it's not a model year 2022; it's still a 2021 model year vehicle likely produced in Sept.

I'm just guessing that they may have produced a big bunch of vehicles (with unassigned VINs) in Sept that ended up missing parts (unsure of which parts...nobody seems to really know) and were unable to make it out for EOQ deliveries. So, now, they're about to push them out and assigning VINs. I think many more TMC members may start to get VIN assignments for delivery in late Oct - Nov...but with the caveat that they may still be 2021 model year cars. Oh well.
At this point, why not wait for the 2022?

Hey potentially dumb question here... but the long ranges delivered recently to me and others, are they 2021, or 2022s? Does Tesla even do years on their cars? I keep getting asked what year my car is and I don't know how to respond without being condescending.
To the best of my knowledge all deliveries so far are 2021 model. They were all made before September 30th. Cars made as of October 1st might be 2022 models.

At this point, why not wait for the 2022?
I don't think it matters and I've been waiting since 2/5/21...so why chance it? For all we know, Tesla could have a shortage of the black piping on the white seats or tire valve stem caps or electrical tape or whatever, lol?!?!?! 🤪

For the miles I do every year, approx 18k-20k, I might as well just take delivery of whatever they're giving me now and by the end of 2022, I'll have about 18k-20k miles on my 2021 Tesla MS Plaid instead of the same mileage for a 2022 model year car...so I guess it's 6 and 1/2 dozen for the other. 🤔
😉

Mother of pearl I hope you're right. They can call it a 2021, 2020, 2012, doesn't matter to me just send me the car! Same build as you (LR though, not Plaid so no carbon fiber) in Northern Indiana.... EDD ever since updating from blank during the delivery hold event a couple months ago has been Oct. 16 - Nov. 5. Still holding strong for now, but I'm expecting my hopes and dreams to be crushed any day.

That's great news! They'll do a FIFO dump of all the remaining 2021s on you Florida Men and then the Yanks will get the first 2022s fresh out of the factory (with the tilt screen, LED accents, new headlights and tail lights, massage seats...)

Fortunately, having had decades of experience in aviation
When I read the stories of people having the power steering go out on a Tesla, I think, "Man, you haven't lived until you've flown a 737 in manual reversion mode..." ;)

Luckily, we only do manual reversion as a training exercise now instead of during PC checks with an overzealous check airman.

A few years back, we all finished our PC's (yeah... .back when we did PC's...) early and had a bunch of extra time. Check airman set me up to do a manual reversion single engine ILS down to Cat II with no HUD, and no flight director. There were no survivors. :D

When I read the stories of people having the power steering go out on a Tesla, I think, "Man, you haven't lived until you've flown a 737 in manual reversion mode..." ;)

Luckily, we only do manual reversion as a training exercise now instead of during PC checks with an overzealous check airman.

A few years back, we all finished our PC's (yeah... .back when we did PC's...) early and had a bunch of extra time. Check airman set me up to do a manual reversion single engine ILS down to Cat II with no HUD, and no flight director. There were no survivors. :D
Who you with?

SWA dude here.

To the best of my knowledge all deliveries so far are 2021 model. They were all made before September 30th. Cars made as of October 1st might be 2022 models.
Tesla doesn't work that way. A car made in 2021 is a 2021 model, one made in 2022 is a 2022 model. They way it should be...

Tesla doesn't work that way. A car made in 2021 is a 2021 model, one made in 2022 is a 2022 model. They way it should be...
Sorry but that is not correct. If Tesla follows their behavior from previous years, cars built after October 1st will have a 2022 model year designation.

Nope. Took delivery of a 2021 X in first week of December 2020.

I think they did that for the first time in 2019, so it's only been the past 2 years. I took delivery of a 2018 S (produced a few weeks earlier) on 12/27/2018, lol.

While it makes more sense to give it the year that it was produced in, it only hurts Tesla and their customers to not follow what the other manufactures do. I don't see them going back, especially when they made some 2021 Model S pre-refresh, none of which were produced in 2021.

Tesla changed to a model year, not a manufactured year, two years ago. My dealership believes that will remain the case, and cars built in November and later will be sold as 2022 models for registration.

I asked the drag strip manager in Orlando if I could take my son (12 years old) with me on a run from 0-100. My boy loves the acceleration G’s of our M3P, so the Plaid will knock his socks off. The manager said the Plaid is “too fast” [his words] to allow a passenger! He said any car that quarter miles below 14 seconds cannot have a passenger.

I don’t want to set that bad example of taking him onto I4 at midnight and nailing it.

My question…. Who the hell takes their car to a drag strip with a quarter mile time over 14 seconds???? So basically no passengers. Ever. Unless you are dragging a Pontiac Sunbird.