Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki Model S Delivery Update

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So, the news has been abuzz about the Virginia 7 hour traffic jam in cold weather, with some folks saying how much worse it would have been if there were a lot more EV's. At least one youtuber did an experiment with his X (larger battery, no heat pump) and Y (with a heat pump) and it shows these things last about as long as gas cars.
I'm wondering - might we get better heat retention in bioweapon defense mode? i don't know if that creates positive air flow, i.e. pushes air out of the car (but then air has to get in there, so forget that statement) or does it do a really good job of recirculating the air (which may then retain more heat?) - in conventional cars after a while it gets more humid and fogs the windows, and i have no idea what that means oxygen wise.
i'd be interested in any thoughts.
i'm also thinking in general, not just for the S, that i should have a crappy shiny small instablanket or whatever if i go on a long trip - but that could be in an ICE as well. i've never used or seen one in person, but they look really uncomfortable. but, if it keeps me warm, then it's awesome. https://www.amazon.com/Swiss-Safe-E...uPWNsaWNrUmVkaXJlY3QmZG9Ob3RMb2dDbGljaz10cnVl
my wife used to keep an extra comforter and a jar of peanut butter in the car for the kids, "just in case" (in our mini vans, etc.)

I just hope at end of the day, Tesla give consumer an option to Choose whether they want a retrofit To what ever price they set. After that it is up to consumer to either want it or not..

I would Defiantely pay for Retrofit Matrix on my refresh S if offered :)
I hear ya. when i was leasing i'd be more indifferent. i decided i'm going to sell in 3 years, so i'll see what the latest tech is then, matrix lights, 4680 cells, etc. - this is like deciding when to bite the bullet and buy a computer, knowing prices generally drop and the future ones are cheaper with more power, but in the current climate of shortages, etc. I don't know what I can bank on.

So, the news has been abuzz about the Virginia 7 hour traffic jam in cold weather, with some folks saying how much worse it would have been if there were a lot more EV's. At least one youtuber did an experiment with his X (larger battery, no heat pump) and Y (with a heat pump) and it shows these things last about as long as gas cars.
I'm wondering - might we get better heat retention in bioweapon defense mode? i don't know if that creates positive air flow, i.e. pushes air out of the car (but then air has to get in there, so forget that statement) or does it do a really good job of recirculating the air (which may then retain more heat?) - in conventional cars after a while it gets more humid and fogs the windows, and i have no idea what that means oxygen wise.
i'm also thinking in general, not just for the S, that i should have a crappy shiny small instablanket or whatever if i go on a long trip - but that could be in an ICE as well. i've never used or seen one in person, but they look really uncomfortable. but, if it keeps me warm, then it's awesome. Amazon.com
my wife used to keep an extra comforter and a jar of peanut butter in the car for the kids, "just in case" (in our mini vans, etc.)

I thought the way bioweapon mode works is by creating positive pressure in the car? Doesn't the HEPA filter only filter new air coming in from outside?

I would put a hold on your account before you get a VIN if that is what you want to do. If you get assigned a car and then "reject" it because it doesn't have the new lights it's a lot worse. My SA told me that they are only allowing people one rejection now, so once you reject it you will be forced to take the second one assigned to you or forfeit the order.
BTW, when I had a December date and was going to be out of the country, i had friends offer to pick up the car for me - and i opted against as i felt (and still feel) there is a very small percent (5% maybe) chance that i'll reject the car. it has to be pretty bad. otherwise, i'll take it and get minor things taken care of.
I've seen folks post, and I think i agree, i've taken cars before and never really considered quality control - just looked them over, no major dents or scratches, and drove away.
I'm not sure if I didn't find this site if 1) i'd have any sanity left, and 2) if i'd even consider I might not accept the car.

i'm also thinking in general, not just for the S, that i should have a crappy shiny small instablanket or whatever if i go on a long trip - but that could be in an ICE as well. i've never used or seen one in person, but they look really uncomfortable. but, if it keeps me warm, then it's awesome. https://www.amazon.com/Swiss-Safe-E...uPWNsaWNrUmVkaXJlY3QmZG9Ob3RMb2dDbGljaz10cnVl
Followed that story as well (and live in VA)... I read somewhere else (possibly same article?) that a woman put the car in camp mode during the 24hr jam and only lost like 15% over the entire thing. Think she set it to like 60 or something as 70 would have pulled too much power.

Didnt get a chance to read the article, but I think one of the main takeaways was also not just if the cars ran out of juice sitting on the interstate, but what happens if suddenly, hundreds of EV's hit the next exit(s) to find the charging stations. (which would be limited in number and time it takes to charge).

They don't usually announce features or update the site until the changes have been produced for 2 weeks is what I've heard. They wanna make sure it is already out.

And "two weeks" being 5 months in case of the refresh. They announced and changed the site January 2021. Even though "it was in production in February", the first production delivery was in June 2021. They must have learned to not let the cat out too soon...

I thought the way bioweapon mode works is by creating positive pressure in the car? Doesn't the HEPA filter only filter new air coming in from outside?
BioWeapon Defense mode seems to switch to only inside air first, filters through HEPA fully, and turns up to full blast as well to both filter recirculating interior air and creating pressure.

Didnt get a chance to read the article, but I think one of the main takeaways was also not just if the cars ran out of juice sitting on the interstate, but what happens if suddenly, hundreds of EV's hit the next exit(s) to find the charging stations. (which would be limited in number and time it takes to charge).
Sure, and EVs are harder to get going if they do in fact die. That was reasonable.
But there was also a lot of opinionated EV FUD in there, that made it sound like EVs are scary in the cold, when the reality is even modern LFP based EVs are still good in cold weather. As DirtyTesla highlighted, whether you start out low on fuel or a low charge in an EV, you can still run out and lose power, heating, etc....
Especially considering how early we are with EVs, this will absolutely be a non-issue in the future.😁

Found this on FB plaid group. Wow!

Would Tesla 19s and 21s not have friction lock knurled rims?

4D9991D0-6040-4E9F-A07B-565D5F26DE11.png

BioWeapon Defense mode seems to switch to only inside air first, filters through HEPA fully, and turns up to full blast as well to both filter recirculating interior air and creating pressure.
full blast would use more blower, but possibly less heater. might be an interesting test. personally, i would imagine (without any experience) 1) air recirculate (can we even do that?) - 2) seat heater 3) heat to maybe what, 65, should be wearing a winter jacket anyway and 4) maybe toggle heat off every 10 minutes or whatever - though not sure if it takes more energy to come back up to a good temperature -- in that case, maybe temp down to lowest every 10 minutes and back up to 65 for a while. might be an interesting test.
for that matter, i'm not sure of the quality of the air if the car is not moving (double so for an ICE with carbon monoxide) but i don't know if say, there was a lot of snow, might that block intakes? maybe then crack the window periodically, which would of course let ice cold air in

Sure, and EVs are harder to get going if they do in fact die. That was reasonable.
But there was also a lot of opinionated EV FUD in there, that made it sound like EVs are scary in the cold, when the reality is even modern LFP based EVs are still good in cold weather. As DirtyTesla highlighted, whether you start out low on fuel or a low charge in an EV, you can still run out and lose power, heating, etc....
Especially considering how early we are with EVs, this will absolutely be a non-issue in the future.😁
can you imagine if roads had inductive charging? then running out of power would be almost an impossibility. let's see them do that with fossil fuels!

Found this on FB plaid group. Wow!

Would Tesla 19s and 21s not have friction lock knurled rims?

View attachment 754629

I saw this on FB yesterday. I guess we can all save $ on tire balancing in the future. 😁