Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki Model S Delivery Update

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Seems like it was fate lmao. I just wanna get it back so I can tear it back apart and play. But nooooo. You take yours off hold yet?

I hear that. No, not yet. Waiting to hear this latest product roadmap update from ole Elon on the call. With the updates to the 3/Y I might go with one of those.. But sounds like maybe they will update the S? Idk... Also traveling a ton, just not a good time. Hopefully you get the beast back soon!

New to Tesla. Had an RS Etron GT for 2 months which was my first electric car but traded it in because of the low range and poor charging network. Great car but my RS7 felt more premium on the inside despite being cheaper. Anyway, I ordered a Plaid a few days ago with a 2-6 week delivery date estimate but today this got pushed back to March 23-31. Based on some past forum posts, it seems this is a common occurrence with Tesla; I just thought the Plaid would not have this issue as much. Hoping it comes sooner but this might be a good thing with the refresh of the exterior and may coincide with having this on the car.
The old Model S headlights would've had you squinting blindly for the road, compared to the great Audi ones. Your timing , from that point of view, is excellent

Last edited:
I too feel bad for those coming here (or on the Tesla.com site) for delivery updates. Ask @IamGaryGnu how his delivery updates are going...
Err, I’m, vin #2 seems to be sticking, we’ll see if this delivery appointment sticks or also gets yanked back.
I’d like to have the opportunity to reject the car, and not have the car reject me first.
kinda like dating!

Found out today that my new house build is going to be completed late February/March.

My Tesla is scheduled to be ready for delivery January 18 - February 15. MS LR white/white/21”

I can’t take delivery of the vehicle before my home loan as it would blow up my debt ratio. Praying for some delays as I’d hate to lose my reservation. There’s about a $12000 difference from when I ordered to now. Anyone know a good method to get Tesla to delay a delivery?
Or another way I can take delivery without it hitting my credit report before I close on the house?

Found out today that my new house build is going to be completed late February/March.

My Tesla is scheduled to be ready for delivery January 18 - February 15. MS LR white/white/21”

I can’t take delivery of the vehicle before my home loan as it would blow up my debt ratio. Praying for some delays as I’d hate to lose my reservation. There’s about a $12000 difference from when I ordered to now. Anyone know a good method to get Tesla to delay a delivery?
Or another way I can take delivery without it hitting my credit report before I close on the house?
Pray for a terrible build quality model

I highly doubt Tesla would offer a retrofit. It’s simply not in their best interest, service centers are swamped with warranty related repairs, the monetary amount that would be required to make it worthwhile would simply be laughable from the customers point of view.

Out of curiosity which aftermarket option provides better headlights?
Certainly nothing yet. But maybe something will be forthcoming, especially if the present lights are as bad as they appear to be.

Certainly nothing yet. But maybe something will be forthcoming, especially if the present lights are as bad as they appear to be.

The Model S just doesn't seem to sell in high enough volume for this to be worthwhile to make. These are the same headlights from 2016, and taillights from 2012. No aftermarket options are available, there will be even less incentive for a company to offer an aftermarket option now that they're being updated.

There's really not much else to say about this, people who are waiting for the new ones can just delay delivery (or not even be assigned a VIN) until the new ones are available, and people who don't care either way can take the cars being offered without them.

^@BPeter. Exactly. It's all about choices, biased by: taste, financials, ego, need, state of mental health, bad breakfast, blue balls, whatever.

The endless posts telling people that they are idiots to wait, or nuts not to is mind boggling.

Me? I ordered a Plaid + on battery day (yes, a long, long time ago) figuring it would be Q1 2022 before I got it. Sold my S in September in anticipation. Renting revolving ICE SUVs until it arrives. Can I wait? Yes. Do I want to wait? For what I want, yes. Will I take a car without them if my number comes up? Reluctantly, yes.

I asked Franz directly about the lights on Delivery Day. He said 'Not coming'. I figured by the time my VIN came around, it would be a different story. And so here we are. I will be a grinning fool when my Plaid arrives. I will be a giddy idiot if it has the lights I have been waiting for.

Last edited:
^@BPeter. Exactly. It's all about choices, biased by: taste, financials, ego, need, state of mental health, bad breakfast, blue balls, whatever.

The endless posts telling people that they are idiots to wait, or nuts not to is mind boggling.

Me? I ordered a Plaid + on battery day (yes, a long, long time ago) figuring it would be Q1 2022 before I got it. Sold my S in September in anticipation. Renting revolving ICE SUVs until it arrives. Can I wait? Yes. Do I want to wait? For what I want, yes. Will I take a car without them if my number comes up? Reluctantly, yes.

I asked Franz directly about the lights on Delivery Day. He said 'Not coming'. I figured by the time my VIN came around, it would be a different story. And so here we are. I will be a grinning fool when my Plaid arrives. I will be a giddy idiot if it has the lights I have been waiting for.
That would be Elon-loving levels of irony right there! I hope it happens for you man!😄

Call an OLA and tell them you need a few weeks to get your finances in order. They will put it on hold. Worked for me but I had a Plaid+ Order they just cancelled. SAs are generally not helpful in this regard but some have had good ones.

It shouldn’t matter once your home loan is credit approved. Presumably that’s well before you close.

I’m impressed that you’ve been able to get your delivery delayed so long. I’m a much later reservation and had two bites at the apple (of same config as yours).

It shouldn’t matter once your home loan is credit approved. Presumably that’s well before you close.
Be careful though - I dealt with this when I bought my M3P at the same time that we purchased a vacation home in 2019, my lender advised me not to even apply for the car loan until the home purchase was completed. For home purchases, lenders don't want to see any loans, large deposits, or significant financial transactions of any kind on your statements prior to the close of escrow, and they will absolutely do another pull just prior to close to check. If they find a car loan that wasn't there before, you may need to go through underwriting and the entire process again, which could blow your settlement date.

In my case, I closed on my house, then applied for the car loan sand bought my M3 the very next day, which was setup as a cash purchase for delivery that day. I changed it to 3rd party financing right before delivery and everything was fine.

Good luck.

On a dark lonely highway, that’s what high beams are for. If not then, when would you need them?
On a dark desert highway, cool wind in my hair. I turn my lights on, just to see what is there. Up ahead in the distance, I saw a shimmering light. My head grew heavy and my sight grew dim. I had to turn on my brights.

I asked my rep about putting vehicle on hold or rejecting a VIN so I can try and get the new headlights and taillights. He told me to wait until I have a VIN at which point he can tell if it has new hardware and if it doesn’t I can reject it. That being said he knows nothing about the new headlights and taillights so it felt a bit like a canned answer.