Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki Model S Delivery Update

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Just picked up my Red Model S LR, Red, Black, 19s, FSD ordered in June (NF470). I'm going to post a longer review later today but I have to get this off my chest - this car is so insane on every level I feel like crying for joy nonstop. I used to work at Disney and everything we talked about was supposed to be 'magical'. That should be Tesla's new motto. I'm coming from a Model 3 RWD (2 years) and most recently a Model 3 Stealth Performance (2 years) and in my longer review I'll compare them more.

So far I've noticed no issues but I do have a quick question - Are all four of the rubber groumets in the front supposed to be the same thickness? The one on the drivers side closest to the bumper is at least double the thickness and I'm wondering if that's what makes closing my frunk more difficult compared to my Model 3. Images attached.

View attachment 772418

View attachment 772417
Just looked at my Plaid i received in July. The driver’s side rubber was a bit thicker. Mine are adjustable by just hand turning them. I evened them out and all seems OK. It is normally a tight fit when closing. Enjoy your rocket ship. Even with the present head and tail lights this car is worth twice the price in fun alone.

Attachments

• 393703B5-E9FC-49B4-9E31-02FA9D95E86B.jpeg
    393703B5-E9FC-49B4-9E31-02FA9D95E86B.jpeg
    54.5 KB · Views: 89
  • 6D7309C1-8E92-4EED-B91C-375D89F44A82.jpeg
    6D7309C1-8E92-4EED-B91C-375D89F44A82.jpeg
    58.8 KB · Views: 71
Self-application of PPF? That’s a first. Presumably you’re experienced.
I’m not ready to try bumper (yet) but have done a couple hoods including my own yesterday. This morning I Got some small bubbles I missed squeezing out with squeegee but they will disappear in a week or so as the water underneath Evaps. (Based on prior experience). Hypodermic needle at 45degree angle can get it sooner but I’ll just let them evaporate on their own

Attachments

• 5551738D-61F1-4D89-9BDD-263B9DD7DBD4.jpeg
    5551738D-61F1-4D89-9BDD-263B9DD7DBD4.jpeg
    386.4 KB · Views: 61
  • 1454FF2D-C195-4AB2-8946-EF9802CACFC4.jpeg
    1454FF2D-C195-4AB2-8946-EF9802CACFC4.jpeg
    333.8 KB · Views: 69
  • 50CA8261-54B7-4A71-8534-2705A174EDBC.jpeg
    50CA8261-54B7-4A71-8534-2705A174EDBC.jpeg
    262.3 KB · Views: 66
  • C4E99C8A-B8D4-4CF6-A242-84FF00C82F4B.jpeg
    C4E99C8A-B8D4-4CF6-A242-84FF00C82F4B.jpeg
    143.5 KB · Views: 68
I’m not ready to try bumper (yet) but have done a couple hoods including my own yesterday. This morning I Got some small bubbles I missed squeezing out with squeegee but they will disappear in a week or so as the water underneath Evaps. (Based on prior experience). Hypodermic needle at 45degree angle can get it sooner but I’ll just let them evaporate on their own

How do you get the wrap around edges to adhere and stay put? Alcohol spray?

Reactions: EndlessPlaid
How do you get the wrap around edges to adhere and stay put? Alcohol spray?
Negative. (although thats one option). After I squeegee out all of the water (starting center and working outward), I then let the car sit for about two hours. By then, edges are fully air dried and wrap around and adhere easily. Keys (to me) have been patience, and more patience. Good lighting inside your garage. (inside to avoid wind blowing, dust, etc). Watching various youtube vids. Proper squegee (I got one from a tint vendor) and not being afraid to use a good amount of pressure at a 45 degree angle when squeegeeing. About 2-3 lbs (or more) of downward pressure at an angle with lots of overlapping strokes. Making sure the topside of the PPF stays wet with the slip solution. (I use a 24oz spray bottle from Home Depot and about 4 dime sized drops of baby shampoo for my slip solution).
End result will definitely still show some evidence of water, streaks, etc and may scare you. But a couple days in hot sun or a couple weeks with no sun/cool weather, any remaining water underneath that you missed, will eventually go away and end result is the PPF being invisible.

Last edited:
MSLR RN1160 VIN471 ordered Nov 2021
SoCal pick up of a beautiful blue, cream interior with 19" wheels. I'd never been in a tesla before ordering this sight unseen. It's gorgeous! Yoke, turn signals and horn just took a few minutes of practice. 4 defects noted and service scheduled: broken tail light lense, misaligned panels in bed of hatch, bare dust nib showing white on hatch, some strap scratches on hatch glass. Everything else is flawless. Rest of paint perfect, gaps perfect, rubber perfect, wheels perfect, interior all perfect. Single peddle driving is awesome! Excellent car. Now to remove the front license plate holder and apply PPF (clear Suntek) myself.
I found it very easy to remove the front plate holder by removing the cover part (3 bolts..mine were reverse hex of a weird size, but a pair of pliers solved that easily. They arent on tight) then using heat gun on high moving it around. For about...4-5 mins. Gets the heavy duty double sided tape soft and loose enough that you can start pulling the holder from the bottom, get it lifted enough to get your other hand between it and the bumper and you can start to work the tape loose. 90% of the tape comes off with the actual holder using this method. Sawing with the fishing line method leaves a lot of the tape on the bumper cover/a bit more messy.

I found it very easy to remove the front plate holder by removing the cover part (3 bolts..mine were reverse hex of a weird size, but a pair of pliers solved that easily. They arent on tight) then using heat gun on high moving it around. For about...4-5 mins. Gets the heavy duty double sided tape soft and loose enough that you can start pulling the holder from the bottom, get it lifted enough to get your other hand between it and the bumper and you can start to work the tape loose. 90% of the tape comes off with the actual holder using this method. Sawing with the fishing line method leaves a lot of the tape on the bumper cover/a bit more messy.
Got it off using 20lb braided fishing line. I was prepared with a hair dryer but sun had heated good enough. About 20 minutes sawing action and more minutes pulling tape off. Important to make sure line is away from paint, just between tape and license plat holder. Came off, no damage. Looks better.

Well I told you all since the rumors of new lights started that they wouldn't happen until i took delivery...and I took delivery yesterday 2/21 and also stayed off this site all day and it appears the lines shut down and new lights happened 😂. I dont care though because I strongly prefer the old rear end. I would really like the new headlights so ill just hope for mine to turn yellow really fast and for them to be retro-fitable. Lol

In other news, the care was pretty much perfect. Good gaps everywhere etc. They left a few ripped pieces of protective film on the front bumper & door sill liners but no big deal. Everything aligned well. Only issue Ive noticed is front passenger door is strangely difficult to close (which I've heard should get better over time) and on the driver side rubber door trim there is a 1cm scratch/gouge that doesn't bother me enough to mention to anyone.

Initially I was a little bit disappointed in the acceleration compared to what everyone here had stated until I discovered it was only in sport mode. Popped it into insane mode and that went away QUICK. Jesus its fast, and I haven't really been able to truly test out how fast because I don't want to go to jail. Amazing car, glad to finally have it. Definitely worth the wait.

BTW - can anyone tell me how to enable ARNR? Ive looked everywhere can not find it in settings at all.

BTW - can anyone tell me how to enable ARNR? Ive looked everywhere can not find it in settings at all.
Make sure
  1. They have taken you off 'islanded factory' lock. This prevents download of new software. We had that set on our MYP.
    • From my Service Records:Upon inspection found that the vehicle is still on islanded factory release software. Vehicle will join fleet wide update schedule in near future.
  2. Your version of software has it enabled. The SW on our MYP was months behind which is perplexing given the recent build date.

Last edited: