Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki Model S Delivery Update

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Delivery Saturday, called the SC, long hold time. So they called me back. I do not believe this individual was local. Felt as though he was reading off a script. Advised I’m over 120 days past my order date, a hold is not possible. Rejecting this Vin would likely put the order at risk of being canceled. About 30 minutes later my service advisor called, the car scheduled for delivery on Saturday not available until mid to late next week. He could release the vin however, I ”could” just be reassigned another vin within a day or so. He also made clear if I reject this car any rejections moving forward would result in order cancellation. He claimed very few LR remain so my next match should be the refresh. He advised my wait could stretch into the mid to late summer as exports of the S start soon. Have to think on this on ugh. I inquired about why the delay, he agreed to call me back once he found out more.
This is not accurate. I am also in the exact same position as you (reservation date and all). I had a VIN assigned for pickup this weekend. I couldn't make it and they sent an email that my reservation was held until April 1 when I would be put back in the queue for the next VIN- OR, I could email them if I'm ready before then. My biggest issue is being 200 miles from the delivery center and NO option for home delivery. That is ridiculous. I see Carvana trucks dropping off vehicles all the time in my neighborhood. Very offensive.

This is not accurate. I am also in the exact same position as you (reservation date and all). I had a VIN assigned for pickup this weekend. I couldn't make it and they sent an email that my reservation was held until April 1 when I would be put back in the queue for the next VIN- OR, I could email them if I'm ready before then. My biggest issue is being 200 miles from the delivery center and NO option for home delivery. That is ridiculous. I see Carvana trucks dropping off vehicles all the time in my neighborhood. Very offensive.

I thought that they would hold your car for up to three days. Seems offensive indeed, considering your distance from the store.

My nose cone car, in chill mode, is faster than a plaid or Refresh LR in chill mode, and even at today's inflated prices, a lot cheaper.

Range and charging suck, but FUSC helps.

Still on the fence about an upgrade. Maybe if they bring in the promised top speed, and Carioke....
Have you driven a refresh? You seem to be under the delusion that it's just an incremental change from your nosecone car.

My nose cone car, in chill mode, is faster than a plaid or Refresh LR in chill mode, and even at today's inflated prices, a lot cheaper.

Range and charging suck, but FUSC helps.

Still on the fence about an upgrade. Maybe if they bring in the promised top speed, and Carioke....
Not sure I've ever seen a car review/test of two teslas racing in chill mode. So who knows..you may be right

Reactions: EndlessPlaid
Tilting screen answers from Sandy! Looks like it will be available one way or another. @Tigers

Noooo! I guess we won't be getting the tilting screen via a software update. I watched the video with much anticipation. We have all the hardware for the tilting screen but NO MOTORS. I guess supply chain constraints (and maybe cost) caused Tesla to ditch the designed and mostly built out feature at least for the year 1 launch.

I was more interested in the tilt screen (which I saw advertised) and not as much in the headlights and taillights (until reading the posts here). I don't think we will get them UNLESS (a) Tesla decides to put this functionality in new Model S cars, (b) does not change how it is implemented (makes sense since it is already designed), and (c) enables a retrofit option for old owners at some cost (even though this would add work to the already overburdened service centers).

Noooo! I guess we won't be getting the tilting screen via a software update. I watched the video with much anticipation. We have all the hardware for the tilting screen but NO MOTORS. I guess supply chain constraints (and maybe cost) caused Tesla to ditch the designed and mostly built out feature at least for the year 1 launch.

I was more interested in the tilt screen (which I saw advertised) and not as much in the headlights and taillights (until reading the posts here). I don't think we will get them UNLESS (a) Tesla decides to put this functionality in new Model S cars, (b) does not change how it is implemented (makes sense since it is already designed), and (c) enables a retrofit option for old owners at some cost (even though this would add work to the already overburdened service centers).
They might do it if it’s simple enough to install the motor and missing bits. I had the BioHazard added to our S and X before they became Tesla sanctioned upgrades. The MCU2 upgrade was also easy enough. Watched them do a few.

Last edited:
I thought that they would hold your car for up to three days. Seems offensive indeed, considering your distance from the store.
They said they would actually- but pickup was over a weekend that I was not available. It's just sort of insulting that I can buy a Model X and a Model 3 and get home delivery, but not on a Model S. I'm wavering on moving forward with the purchase. But for more reasons than the long and very inconvenient pickup. I live in Alabama and I have found that service is extremely frustrating (nearest center is over 2 hours away) and scheduling is always weeks if not months out. I haven't had the best experience with Tesla on the service side. But their cars are definitely amazing. I will give them that!

They said they would actually- but pickup was over a weekend that I was not available. It's just sort of insulting that I can buy a Model X and a Model 3 and get home delivery, but not on a Model S. I'm wavering on moving forward with the purchase. But for more reasons than the long and very inconvenient pickup. I live in Alabama and I have found that service is extremely frustrating (nearest center is over 2 hours away) and scheduling is always weeks if not months out. I haven't had the best experience with Tesla on the service side. But their cars are definitely amazing. I will give them that!

I tend to take good care of cars even other people's....but if you paid me to deliver a Plaid 200 miles, I don't think I could resist the temptation to drive it hard.

Home delivery is mixed bag. OTH, with store pick up, the drive there will suck, but think about the trip home!

Curious...did you reject or just place the order on hold?

I did a hold in late Jan. I was able to name my hold date, but warned by a Seldom Accurate, that I could be asked to take delivery before my hold date.

I don't doubt that the guidance on holds is changing, but I feel that MS and MX orders will be given more wiggle room.

A lot of players on the M3/MY orders trying to delay so they can flip new cars at a profit.
I actually didn't reject the VIN. I just told my SA that I don't want to take delivery right now, so he just removed the VIN.
I didn't actually see the your delivery is on hold message (which I did see when I placed a hold on a M3 reservation)
The new delivery estimate showed "TBD" initially and then moved to a 1 month window shortly.

I actually didn't reject the VIN. I just told my SA that I don't want to take delivery right now, so he just removed the VIN.
I didn't actually see the your delivery is on hold message (which I did see when I placed a hold on a M3 reservation)
The new delivery estimate showed "TBD" initially and then moved to a 1 month window shortly.
Interesting. After much discussion, I picked a date that seemed about right, and the same day the hold date showed up in the App.

Never a dull moment with Tesla.

I doubt it, but I really wonder if that cross bar on the trunk is going to have the same issues that the Scion cars had. I doubt it, but that is all it reminds me of.
iu

Last edited:
makes the back look super plain with the body color crossbar, kind of a bummer.
I actually like the less busy look. It seems to me it's still recognizable as a MS and I like the more modern taillights. I'm kinda sticking with the idea that once it's out and we see them regularly, it'll look cleaner and more modern and I'll like it better.