Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki Model S Delivery Update

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Drove early this morning (4am) on both highway and some rural roads… I actually think the current headlights (22 MSLR) are decent. Eager to see the difference with the new Matrix, but no real complaints on my end for the current.
I am glad to read of the success some are having by adjusting their own lights as it is not that hard to do. If you are concerned about making things worse just record the number of turns, or partial turns so that if needed you can return to the as delivered settings.

I was talking with a very long term Tesla service tech yesterday and asked him about the pre-matrix lights on the 3 and Y. He said that they always had the same amount of wires including a control wire. This gives me hope that we can retrofit ours.
FWIW, I know just enough about electronics to be...incompetent. but, let's say the matrix headlights have 168 LEDs (I THINK that's what I saw in a Model 3 headlight teardown, though the link i got the image from says 100 - whatever ) - there were also other lamps, like fog lights or bright or whatever, but let's talk about the rectangle from that teardown that contained the matrix. Let's say it is something like this (from a Model 3)
1645798696775.png

let's say it's 100 individual LEDs in there. One way you could control them would be with 100 wires - and then a signal gets sent to each one. that would be really cumbersome, and some chip controls only have a certain number of outputs, let's say 20 including maybe digital and analog.
instead, if logic is used, pulses can send and decode which of the 100 leds light up - so, you would essentially need ONE output and wire for that.
there are also small LEDs that have addresses in them and can be "targeted" with again, only a single signal wire.
Now, i don't know if our current headlights have that type of address and only one bulb, or if it has something else.
but, if it goes the way i'm thinking, it wouldn't need many connectors.
the other option would be less wiring to the MCU, and more brains between the "headlight on" and actual output.
I will say this, Tesla has some pretty smart people (other than maybe in logistics, PR and service) so i'd figure they'd try to find the most efficient way to do this.
BTW, for the wire connector above, i count 10 terminals. not sure if one is ground, and not sure if the white edges cover 2 more contacts. there is likely power in there somewhere (unless on the back, etc.) - so that means betwen roughly 10 and 12 data signals (and possibly less) to control the 100 or so LEDs in the matrix light.

Up until this Monday, I had a 2020 Model 3 in the FSD Beta program for a few months and now have the 2022 Model S LR. Autopilot is remarkably smoother and better with no phantom breaking so far including my 220 mile round trip yesterday from central CT into NYC. I was convinced it was due to the Model S being superior but now that I'm hearing in this forum FSD beta is vision only, I'm thinking it's either the Beta software itself is worse or Radar is superior or both.
My experience so far has been autopilot (or rather autosteer) works well on the highway, even w/ cars cutting in and out in front of me. On city streets, it feels a little shaky, as it tends to be jerky w/ turning and too close to parked cars. I have not experienced phantom braking yet. Autosteer does NOT see deers on the side of the road, FWIW.

I think as of now autopilot is still a separate software package from FSD - there's been some tweets b/w wholemars and Elon about eventually merging them (make sense). From my understanding radar doesn't really help with identifying still objects on the highway so that means ...the S is a superior car! 😄

Reactions: EndlessPlaid
FWIW, I know just enough about electronics to be...incompetent. but, let's say the matrix headlights have 168 LEDs (I THINK that's what I saw in a Model 3 headlight teardown, though the link i got the image from says 100 - whatever ) - there were also other lamps, like fog lights or bright or whatever, but let's talk about the rectangle from that teardown that contained the matrix. Let's say it is something like this (from a Model 3)
View attachment 773605
let's say it's 100 individual LEDs in there. One way you could control them would be with 100 wires - and then a signal gets sent to each one. that would be really cumbersome, and some chip controls only have a certain number of outputs, let's say 20 including maybe digital and analog.
instead, if logic is used, pulses can send and decode which of the 100 leds light up - so, you would essentially need ONE output and wire for that.
there are also small LEDs that have addresses in them and can be "targeted" with again, only a single signal wire.
Now, i don't know if our current headlights have that type of address and only one bulb, or if it has something else.
the other option would be less wiring to the MCU, and more brains between the "headlight on" and actual output.
I will say this, Tesla has some pretty smart people (other than maybe in logistics, PR and service) so i'd figure they'd try to find the most efficient way to do this.
BTW, for the wire connector above, i count 10 terminals. not sure if one is ground, and not sure if the white edges cover 2 more contacts. there is likely power in there somewhere (unless on the back, etc.) - so that means betwen roughly 10 and 12 data signals (and possibly less) to control the 100 or so LEDs in the matrix light.
Someone stated that the Model 3 headlights had the same connector whether matrix or not. Assumed CAN bus controlled both but used different commands depending on which headlight was installed.

Someone stated that the Model 3 headlights had the same connector whether matrix or not. Assumed CAN bus controlled both but used different commands depending on which headlight was installed.
The MY has the same connector for both Matrix and non-Matrix lights.

It has been confirmed that you CANNOT drop in a pair of whichever lights and have them work. There is a software component at the very least.

View attachment 773605
They are most likely operated via CAN bus which I believe the current "adaptive" headlights are as well... so this is more an issue of software and not hardware to make them work. The chips driving that board are all specified to support CAN bus as an interface and it would make a lot more sense to have the logic of controlling the LED matrix by sending the equivalent of "pictures" to the controller over can bus vs having individual lines to each LED.

Even the previous model 3/y lights used can bus as sometimes they would have an issue which would affect a headlight and also interfere with the windshield wipers which were also on the same bus. There is also posts somewhere around this forum about someone with a Y with matrix lights getting a defective replacement headlight of the previous model. It sort of worked, but it stayed on all the time suggesting again issues with the digital protocol over CAN being wrong.

Just read that the S and X have transitioned to Tesla vision and the radars are no more as of mid Feb. Tesla fully ditches radar as Model S and Model X transition to Tesla Vision
One of the strong points of radar was the ability to “see” cars ahead a car you were following, to better avoid accidents. Moving to a vision-only system seems like that advantage would go away. Anybody have experience with the Model 3/Y vision system versus the original radar version, specifically for accident avoidance in a line of cars ahead?

They are most likely operated via CAN bus which I believe the current "adaptive" headlights are as well... so this is more an issue of software and not hardware to make them work. The chips driving that board are all specified to support CAN bus as an interface and it would make a lot more sense to have the logic of controlling the LED matrix by sending the equivalent of "pictures" to the controller over can bus vs having individual lines to each LED.
I think from everything we have seen the light module itself uses LIN. (It has three connections: power, ground, and LIN.) Though it may be CAN up to the headlight assembly.

So then the only thing remaining is changing the setting in the car config to denote it has the new headlights. Unfortunately, this sort of configuration is only available if you have root on the car, which I don't believe anyone does on a refresh S/X.

It would be nice if Tesla offered the config update as part of selling you the headlights, but again this would probably be about $5k in parts + labor, and few people would bite at that price point I'd think. It'd be even nicer if they let you change your own settings too... but then people could just turn on FSD and save themselves $12k, hahaha.

The MY has the same connector for both Matrix and non-Matrix lights.

It has been confirmed that you CANNOT drop in a pair of whichever lights and have them work. There is a software component at the very least.
Of course it would need to be recognized and authorized by the vehicle control system and activated by Tesla. The question is, does it use the same CANBUS and connections. If so, that at least clears the way for Tesla to be able to offer it. If not, harness replacements seem too high a bar to be practical.

Reactions: EndlessPlaid
Tesla Model S LR Full Review (From a M3P Owner's Perspective)

There have been many delivery reviews thus far, so I'm really going to try hard to call out some things worth underscoring instead of repeating what everyone has already said. Also, I've been driving a Model 3 for four years and it's hard for me to compare it to anything else. Quite frankly, every non-electric car IMHO is a POS to me now and I'll never switch back to gas. IOW - I'm a Tesla super fan so take this review with a grain of salt if you're not.

Performance & Handling
It's been covered repeatedly but it's worth calling out again - the Model S LR is a beast even compared to the M3P. From 0-60, and with the all-seasons on both the M3 and S, grip is the limiter and I can't tell the different between the two cars. From 60 mph and beyond, the Model S annihilates the M3P.

Cornering is where the M3P, even with 18 inch all seasons, has the edge. BUT, 99% of the time, you will probably never realize this. In most conditions you'll be shocked, no pun intended, how similar the two cars maneuver even though the S is 13 inches longer and weighs so much more.
The Air suspension is fantastic and if the Model 3 ever releases with this option, Tesla will cannibalize some sales for sure. In normal driving conditions, road vibrations and harshness disappears in the S, while in the 3, the bad road conditions are exaggerated. In spirited driving, the ability for the S to stiffen up brings it incredibly close to the feeling of the 3. The 3 is only superior from what I can sense when you are taking corners VERY hard.

Interior
What can I say that hasn't been covered already... The Model S is night and day nicer all around BUT one thing I did not expect is how similar the interior dimensions are. I expected the S to be much bigger on the interior since the car is wider and 13 inches longer. However, I believe roughly half of the additional length is in nose of the car (bumper, more components like air compressor behind the frunk, etc.) and the other half is spread between the trunk and slightly more passenger leg room. Also, the width increase is almost entirely in the fenders. So bottom line, if you're switching from a 3 to an S in order to gain a ton of passenger space, you'll be disappointed. That said, I had no problems with the interior space of the 3.

The wood and fabrics like everyone has said is outstanding and the nicest I've personally ever seen. The space is well thought through including the center console, position of the screens, and all the storage compartments.

The Yoke
IMHO, the Yoke is one of the best features. Most of my driving is on autopilot and this is where the yoke really shines. I could never find the perfect position with the Model 3 to rest my hands on the wheel and reduce the 'keep your hands on the wheel' alerts to a minimum. I tried everything. The yoke completely changes that. I can comfortably rest one or both hands on the sides or the bottom comfortably and avoid the annoying alerts 100% of the time. I was worried about maneuvering at low speeds with the yoke as wells K turns but I can confidently say - not an issues. The best way to sum it up is - The yoke is 80% better in 80% of my driving conditions and the steering wheel is 20% better in 20% of my driving conditions. On the flip side, like everyone else has mentioned, the controls on the Yoke are inferior to the stalks... specifically the turning signals. I literally never use the horn and don't care about that issue but the turning signals are a nuisance. After 5 days so far driving, my muscle memory still has not adapted and I find myself always looking down to see where the buttons are. Not a huge deal, but they could have designed this better.

Range
I have not driven enough to say for sure yet, but I'm relatively confident the Model S LR does NOT have anything close to 100 extra miles of range compared to the M3 when driving at 75-80 mph. I know this has been covered before too, but I wanted to believe people were wrong on this point. My best estimate based on my driving thus far is something more like 50 miles of additional range. NOTE - I had the 18s on the M3P and it did NOT have a heat pump whereas my Model S does have the heat pump and I've been driving in ~20-35 degree weather. I thought the heat pump would have made a HUGE difference but on longer trips at that weather and at that speed, not so much.

Sound System and Screens
I was worried the sound system would not have as much bass as the Model 3 and I'm happy to report the two cars sound very similar - Amazing. If I was forced to rank them, I'd say the Model 3 has slightly stronger bass and the S has better mids but it would be extremely hard to tell the difference. No complaints.
Having the screen in front of the Yoke is cool and I like it, but after driving the Model 3 for 4 years, I can totally see how it isn't necessary. The most useful part is you can now use the bigger screen entirely for the Maps view and/or other things and that part is what makes it worth it. The rear screen is the biggest hit with my kids. I can't wait for bluetooth support when viewing videos in the rear because listening to YouTube 'Toy Surprise' videos in the front is driving me insane.

Overall
This car has made me a better person. I feel smarter, stronger, and healthier. I can't explain why, but the timing around when I picked up the car and when I started feeling this way is just too close to ignore. I did accidentally scrape the plastic underside the other day when pulling into someone's miserable driveway. The moment this happened, I swear I felt pain on my skin as if someone was ripping it off. The AI consciousness of the car and mine must be merging somehow which is the one feature I did not previously read about nor expect.

In summary - YOU WILL LOVE THIS CAR. I hope everyone waiting in this forum gets their delivery soon!

Picked up my new S yesterday - yay - but it was missing the trunk cover and the trunk well lid/cover. Tesla said they will send when available. Anyone have experience with this?
Yes. Rather than wait for them to be delivered, I suggest putting in a mobile service ticket. That may get you the missing items sooner. It did for me.

Took my 2022 S LR (NF468xxx, delivered 1/27) into the Carlsbad, CA Service Center today for an appointment made at delivery. They satisfactorily repaired two minor paint flaws on the right taillight edge and a third minor flaw on the trunk lower corner edge. They also gave me a trunk interior lower cover that was missing at delivery; said a shipment came in yesterday. These are the only problems I've identified. I'm very happy with my new S, including the yoke.

Vistan