Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki Model S Delivery Update

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Yes, concur 100%.

Sadly, our rep left Tesla a month before delivery and even though we had discussed it, the $2k wasn't listed. In the rush to get the car (after a 13-month wait) I didn't notice the missing $2k . . . and now the request is working it's way through the morass that is Tesla Corporate. They really need an ombudsman at this point as the company has become massive, and exasperating.

They seem to think that it requires a visit to the Pope, and higher, before they can send me a friggin' check. And, no, they can't just "re do" the paperwork so I had to pay taxes on the extra $2k as well. Nice Tesla, really nice . . . .

Oddly, there's some talk that the program "expired" on 1 January, which is funny if you think about it: ALL of the delays were on Tesla's end of this--we never "held" or delayed or slipped our EDD. Thus, they should probably have BOOSTED the credit, not eliminated it. Such dolts.

Just stunning how such smart people can create such an amazing, PITA corporate structure that seemingly exists to piss of their best customers.
I would ask for service credit for the amount of the taxes you had to pay on the $2k. They can easily do that for you.

Reactions: EndlessPlaid
Can anyone help me determine if this car is headlight taillight refresh? https://www.tesla.com/new/5YJS188_5d31d0709ff2cfc677ace23922971b6c
I'm just getting a 404:
Screenshot_20220310-112314_Chrome.jpg

Just got my LR VIN assigned: 4737**. Will call in to check whether it is a refreshed refresh.

Update:

I just called in, and the SA told me the car was built yesterday. Therefore, it should be a refreshed refresh. Moreover, I received a message asking me to schedule the delivery. I picked the latest time slot (next Wed.) so I have more time to process the loan. They will directly deliver it to my home.

Although I felt excited when I got the VIN, I am kind of nervous and worried that something may go wrong.
- I am also considering going with a loan from DCU.
1) Should I ask them to directly send the check to Tesla? What if the car is defective?
2) Where to send the check?
- As a backup plan, I would like to also prepare a check. However, my bank is out of state, so I don't have an easy way to get a certified check and I have two options:
1) Transfering the fund to my local bank and getting a certified check. This may need 3 business days to make the fund be available. It will be next Tuesday, and I think it is too risky.
2) I called a Boston SC (my vehicle will be delivered in the bay area), and the SA told me I can pay by a personal check. I don't know how I can confirm this. It will be a big problem if my personal check is not accepted during delivery.

Update:

I just called in, and the SA told me the car was built yesterday. Therefore, it should be a refreshed refresh. Moreover, I received a message asking me to schedule the delivery. I picked the latest time slot (next Wed.) so I have more time to process the loan. They will directly deliver it to my home.

Although I felt excited when I got the VIN, I am kind of nervous and worried that something may go wrong.
- I am also considering going with a loan from DCU.
1) Should I ask them to directly send the check to Tesla? What if the car is defective?
2) Where to send the check?
- As a backup plan, I would like to also prepare a check. However, my bank is out of state, so I don't have an easy way to get a certified check and I have two options:
1) Transfering the fund to my local bank and getting a certified check. This may need 3 business days to make the fund be available. It will be next Tuesday, and I think it is too risky.
2) I called a Boston SC (my vehicle will be delivered in the bay area), and the SA told me I can pay by a personal check. I don't know how I can confirm this. It will be a big problem if my personal check is not accepted during delivery.
I had the check delivered directly to Tesla. I asked DCU what'd happen if I reject the car, and they said I can call them and get the check cancelled.
I don't think Tesla will cash the check until you accept delivery. So it shouldn't be a problem if you reject.
Having said that, DCU sends checks overnight and since I was on a time crunch I sent it directly to Tesla. If you have ample time for delivery, then it's safer to get the check mailed to your home.
If you want to send the check to Tesla, use this address -
Tesla Motos Inc,
45500 Fremont Blvd,
Fremont, CA - 94538
Attn: Funding Team

Also, I have heard of Tesla NOT accepting personal checks. The guy at SC might be mistaken. I wouldn't take that chance.

@ivegoneplaid nope, still doesn't go through.
^ working link.

Solely based off that page, no. I do not think anyone would be able to know if it is updated or not. Maybe if you can find it on Tesla-info.

• Helpful
  • Love
I had the check delivered directly to Tesla. I asked DCU what'd happen if I reject the car, and they said I can call them and get the check cancelled.
I don't think Tesla will cash the check until you accept delivery. So it shouldn't be a problem if you reject.
Having said that, DCU sends checks overnight and since I was on a time crunch I sent it directly to Tesla. If you have ample time for delivery, then it's safer to get the check mailed to your home.
If you want to send the check to Tesla, use this address -
Tesla Motos Inc,
45500 Fremont Blvd,
Fremont, CA - 94538
Attn: Funding Team

Also, I have heard of Tesla NOT accepting personal checks. The guy at SC might be mistaken. I wouldn't take that chance.

That is pretty helpful! Highly appreciated.

- Does where to send the check depend on your delivery location?
- What if the check does not arrive on time or is even lost in delivery?
- If I directly send the check to Tesla, does it matter whether I pick up the car at SC or go with home delivery?

That is pretty helpful! Highly appreciated.

- If I directly send the check to Tesla, does it matter whether I pick up the car at SC or go with home delivery?
Don't think so. It doesn't depend on the location

This is important and I forgot to tell you. When you get the loan funded by DCU, specifically mention that you will need a copy of the check sent to your email and the Fedex tracking number. Tesla will deliver your car as long as they have the fedex tracking and a scanned copy of the check.

It doesn't matter. I had mine home delivered and had sent the check directly to Tesla. But the delivery advisor WANTED me to send him a copy of the check and the tracking number before he could deliver to my home. They might refuse delivery until the check arrives otherwise. In my case, the check arrived a day after the delivery, but I was able to send them the scanned copy and Fedex tracking to release the car.

Good luck!

Hey guys, first time posting here. Here's an interesting story:

I took delivery of my Plaid on Saturday afternoon.

On Monday afternoon, I parked my car at a restaurant to run in and grab some food. When I left 3 minutes later, the car wouldn't start. Was throwing a bunch of error codes very similar to this: Brand New Tesla Model S Plaid Breaks Down: Report

Was expecting an issue similar to what the guy in the article had but I just got a message from Tesla service saying they have to replace the drive unit. No timeframe on how long it will take.

So ya, not super thrilled.

I drove the car hard but I have to imagine not any harder than most people who drive this car for the first time.

Not sure what to think now.

I'm replying to my own post with an update. I think this got missed anyway due to needing moderator approval.

Anyway, updates from Tesla have been sparse. Just had to call them to try and figure out wtf is going on and from the sounds of it, barring some miracle, it's going to be at least a few weeks before one of these drive units come in.

Super frustrated that this happened in the first place. More frustrated that Tesla, at least at first, didn't seem to take this issue more seriously. One of the advisors I talk to at service does seem to at least be giving me lip service that he's taking it seriously but at the end of the day, there's still no concrete date on when my car will be back on the road.

So I just learned that if you have a S on order on the west coast and don’t get it by March end, your next opportunity to get one is June. I was told the first couple of mos of each quarter the Fremont factory builds cars for east coast and mid-west orders.

The SA that told me seems fairly knowledgeable but this info is not 100% verified.
Hmmm, odd. I'm Houston, TX and was scheduled for March 13 - 23 and just got pushed back to June 10 - July 8. I'm Model S Plaid / Blue ext. / Black int. / 19" Tempest.

Don't think so. It doesn't depend on the location

This is important and I forgot to tell you. When you get the loan funded by DCU, specifically mention that you will need a copy of the check sent to your email and the Fedex tracking number. Tesla will deliver your car as long as they have the fedex tracking and a scanned copy of the check.

It doesn't matter. I had mine home delivered and had sent the check directly to Tesla. But the delivery advisor WANTED me to send him a copy of the check and the tracking number before he could deliver to my home. They might refuse delivery until the check arrives otherwise. In my case, the check arrived a day after the delivery, but I was able to send them the scanned copy and Fedex tracking to release the car.

Good luck!

Thank you!
A few (dumb) questions:
- How can I "tell" DCU to send me a copy of the check and the fedex tracking number? Is there a field I can fill in during the application?
- If I directly send the check to Tesla, what if the car turns out to be defective and I need to reject the car?