Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki Model S Delivery Update

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Realistically if you're looking to sell within a year (which is the only point where the difference might be $3k), fiscal responsibility is clearly not the priority. That $3k will diminish to a negligible amount if you sell within a more reasonable tiemframe.

Also the fact of the matter is, spending $80k+ on a new car is throwing away money in general. Especially with these cars where a 1 month used one can be going for $10-20k less than new MSRP.
Exactly. Just lease or buy used if you're going to not keep the car for at least 6 years or so. Stressing over $3k on a car you'll sell in 2 years makes no sense. Buy used and be happier. Or buy new when you want a new car and enjoy it. Or just wait until the VIN year you want is produced and buy that new (or used).

Let’s say for shits and giggles that we find out the S and X will be discontinued as of 2024. Will you keep your order for the S?

Would there be future issues with parts and service? Would value be decreased if this line is discontinued?
To answer that question, ask a Roadster Owner.

But I think support is already pretty bad. As long as they honor the 8 year Warranty I'd be ok with it.

Reactions: dsm363
To answer that question, ask a Roadster Owner.

But I think support is already pretty bad. As long as they honor the 8 year Warranty I'd be ok with it.
Tesla basically stopped working on the Roadster in 2012 or so. There is minimal support now still but less and less techs know how to work on them.

The S and X have the advantage that there are many more of them so better market for aftermarket parts hopefully one day.

Reactions: aerodyne
Exactly. Just lease or buy used if you're going to not keep the car for at least 6 years or so. Stressing over $3k on a car you'll sell in 2 years makes no sense. Buy used and be happier. Or buy new when you want a new car and enjoy it. Or just wait until the VIN year you want is produced and buy that new (or used).
It’s almost like it isn’t about money at all… 🤔

More the intense and overwhelming need to not have a ‘23 when someone else out there will have a ‘24, and as we all know, 24 is one more than 23 therefore better.

Reactions: dsm363 and Yelobird
It’s almost like it isn’t about money at all… 🤔

More the intense and overwhelming need to not have a ‘23 when someone else out there will have a ‘24, and as we all know, 24 is one more than 23 therefore better.
So the guy that advocates throwing money away is saying if one is looking to use funds wisely he is pretending its about money? That makes total sense. Projecting much?

Listen, its fantastic that we are all different and have different priorities. If you are fine with 23 model year and math works for you, then go for it, its not wrong. But don't tell me that should work for me too.

So the guy that advocates throwing money away is saying if one is looking to use funds wisely he is pretending its about money?
Yes, because your math is just plain made up to confirm your bias. Yesterday we went from “$10,000” to “maybe $3-5k” in one post. Even that $3-5k is absolute worst case, as in you bought the car and ended up selling it within a year or so. Over the typical 3-6 year ownership period the financial difference diminishes to practically nothing and becomes almost completely meaningless (miles and condition have an increasingly larger effect on value vs. model year as cars age, everything else being identical). So yeah, it’s a made-up concern unless you’re gonna flip the car within a year - and if that’s the case the entire argument about not wanting to “throw money away” is all the more absurd to begin with. ;)

Anyway. Best of luck landing that ‘24. 👍🏻

Realistically if you're looking to sell within a year (which is the only point where the difference might be $3k), fiscal responsibility is clearly not the priority. That $3k will diminish to a negligible amount if you sell within a more reasonable tiemframe.

Also the fact of the matter is, spending $80k+ on a new car is throwing away money in general. Especially with these cars where a 1 month used one can be going for $10-20k less than new MSRP.

Agree except on that last comment. Show me a 1 month old MSP for $69K to $79K and I'll buy it today.

Reactions: rugar760 and Kohley
If $3,000 dollars breaks the bank and you're buying a $80,000 car then you shouldn't be buying an $80,000. People who really care about resale value simply shouldn't buy a new car for starters. Always buy used if that's a top 3 concern.
It has nothing to do with 3k breaking the bank. Its now 2024, I don't want a 2023 vin in 2024. Milage is more of a factor in resale, but the year of the car matters, especially the first 2-4 years, go look at used prices. If you keep it 8-10 years then the year matters very little, not many do that. Financially, keeping an old car and paying to fix it costs less than the depreciation on a newer vehicle. I want an MSP because I want one, its not a great financial decision for anyone. Regardless of how anyone feels about this issue, the problem is the way Tesla keeps us all in the dark on model years. My delivery date has been moving daily since end of November, 2 full month swing from earliest to latest now, multiple guess......

It has nothing to do with 3k breaking the bank. Its now 2024, I don't want a 2023 vin in 2024. Milage is more of a factor in resale, but the year of the car matters, especially the first 2-4 years, go look at used prices. If you keep it 8-10 years then the year matters very little, not many do that. Financially, keeping an old car and paying to fix it costs less than the depreciation on a newer vehicle. I want an MSP because I want one, its not a great financial decision for anyone. Regardless of how anyone feels about this issue, the problem is the way Tesla keeps us all in the dark on model years. My delivery date has been moving daily since end of November, 2 full month swing from earliest to latest now, multiple guess......

This is true. There's a $5K difference between a Dec 31st 2020 and Jan 1st 2021 Model S Long Range Plus each having 20K miles.

Oddly I hunted for this magic 10k bonus value on a 23’ plaid vs a 24’ plaid both new and shockingly the 23 is worth more? Must need to be a month older to get that 10k increased value…..

IMG_0630.png
IMG_0629.png
IMG_0629.png