Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model S range and interior update imminent?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Tesla is going to try and overlap as much from the Model 3 to the S and X. I expect very little that is totally new in the S/X refresh. Most of the changes will be repackaging stuff from the existing cars, or ported from the Model 3. Unless the Model 3 offers new colors, don't expect them with the S/X.

Tesla is aiming to be completely vegan soon, so all leather will be gone in the near future. That isn't necessarily a bad thing. The whole leather fad in cars was just that. Back in the day when the only choices for car seats were fabrics that wore out after a few years, vinyl which got funky after a while, or leather, leather was the premium choice.

There are better materials available now. Even fabric seats are much better quality than they were 30-40 years ago.

CraZ8, what's the scoop on the Model S (refresh) door handles? Staying the same? More like the Model X? More like the stupid Model 3 door handles? Auto opening/closing doors on Model S?

What about keyfob situation? Still keyfob with passive entry, or stupid Model 3 system?

The stupid landscape screen in the Model 3 made them switch to a tiny steering wheel so the screen wouldn't be obscured by your hand (but it still is). Is the refreshed Model S getting a smaller steering wheel?

CraZ8, what's the scoop on the Model S (refresh) door handles? Staying the same? More like the Model X? More like the stupid Model 3 door handles? Auto opening/closing doors on Model S?

What about keyfob situation? Still keyfob with passive entry, or stupid Model 3 system?

The stupid landscape screen in the Model 3 made them switch to a tiny steering wheel so the screen wouldn't be obscured by your hand (but it still is). Is the refreshed Model S getting a smaller steering wheel?

Since the S is a wider car I would imagine they won’t have to reduce the steering wheel. You will have a vent system like the 3 plus the small read outs imbedded in the trim strip in front of the driver and passenger. The trim strips will wrap around to the doors cards. The center screen will be very thin and mounted a bit different than the 3. Did not hear anything about the door handles but I can’t see Tesla abandoning them to reengineer something less dramatic. Haven’t heard about the key fob either

Clearly a comment from someone clueless lacking experience with the Model 3.
I have both Model S and 3 and actually much prefer the 3 in about every aspect except for the fact that it has less luggage space. The screen placement is fantastic and much more ergonomic placed than the curren S/X with the vertical screen where you have to look down further and reach out your arm to get to the controls.

The smaller steering wheel in the 3 is fantastic and Model S feels like a bus steering wheel when you get used to the 3. But sure, if you prefer driving a buss that's fine.

Other things where the 3 clearly excel; Storage space in the cabin is MUCH better, headlights are MUCH better, Screen whipers are MUCH better, headroom in the front seet is MUCH better, Ventilation system is a lot better, entire cabin and car feels more modern overall. Just take the rear lights on the S for instance. Those dated dot LEDs are driving me crazy compared to the lights on 3 and Model X. The S is really showing it's age and this refresh with the Model 3 goodies can't come soon enough. My Model S 2017 will be swapped out in a heart beat :)

Clearly a comment from someone clueless lacking experience with the Model 3.
I have both Model S and 3 and actually much prefer the 3 in about every aspect except for the fact that it has less luggage space. The screen placement is fantastic and much more ergonomic placed than the curren S/X with the vertical screen where you have to look down further and reach out your arm to get to the controls.

The smaller steering wheel in the 3 is fantastic and Model S feels like a bus steering wheel when you get used to the 3. But sure, if you prefer driving a buss that's fine.

Other things where the 3 clearly excel; Storage space in the cabin is MUCH better, headlights are MUCH better, Screen whipers are MUCH better, headroom in the front seet is MUCH better, Ventilation system is a lot better, entire cabin and car feels more modern overall. Just take the rear lights on the S for instance. Those dated dot LEDs are driving me crazy compared to the lights on 3 and Model X. The S is really showing it's age and this refresh with the Model 3 goodies can't come soon enough. My Model S 2017 will be swapped out in a heart beat :)

I agree to a lot of what you’re saying. Also a S and 3 owner and a lot of areas of the 3 just makes more sense. Like you said, the control placements on the screen and also, the cup holder location feel more natural, as well as the arm rest, HVAC performs better, and the autopilot on the gear shift. That alone makes a lot more sense then the current autopilot controls on the S/X where it’s low under the wiper controls. I too will be upgrading to a more similar design function of the 3 when it comes out for the S.

Reactions: DocZ and evster
Maybe the new S and X are simply stretched and scaled-up versions of the Model 3 and Y, respectively. They could use exactly same tooling (just scaled up). Bit like Long Wheelbase versions of other cars. Price could ofcourse come down respectively.
They might do this, they've been trying to save money by paring down options and simplifying production lines more and more lately.

But I think it'd be a mistake. Sure, everyone knows Tesla doesn't play by the same rules that every other traditional automaker does, and for the most part that makes them better, but they still compete in the luxury market and people don't buy a Mercedes S-class solely because they want more room than a C class. If this is the case, the S and X will effectively be reduced to a trim package not worth more than a few thousand dollars over the base model. Hopefully they don't make the mistake thinking one-model-fits-all.

Reactions: sillydriver
I doubt they will be making anything but minor structural changes. Even a stretched and widened existing chassis requires a lot of new safety testing whereas if the refresh is just trim and feature changes a lot of the testing can be skipped.

The next gen S/X may use a common platform developed from the Model 3, but that probably won't happen until the 3/Y production is completely stable. Common platforms across multiple cars is becoming the industry standard. It makes production cheaper and it's also quicker to retool one production line to build a car from the lineup that has a higher demand than one that might be lagging. For example if the Model Y kills Model 3 production it would be easy to switch Model 3 lines to Model Y production because the two cars are built on the same platform.

They might do this, they've been trying to save money by paring down options and simplifying production lines more and more lately.

But I think it'd be a mistake. Sure, everyone knows Tesla doesn't play by the same rules that every other traditional automaker does, and for the most part that makes them better, but they still compete in the luxury market and people don't buy a Mercedes S-class solely because they want more room than a C class. If this is the case, the S and X will effectively be reduced to a trim package not worth more than a few thousand dollars over the base model. Hopefully they don't make the mistake thinking one-model-fits-all.

I will be extremely disappointed if Tesla puts a $35,000 interior in a $100,000 car. I know that they are supposed to put a small display in front of the driver but it will never take the place of the instrument cluster in the Model S/X now.

Status
Not open for further replies.