Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model S Reservation Tally

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Just FYI, I emailed this same question to Tesla directly, and they said 9-12 months for me. That's ok with me -- let's me see how the first batches go, lets them tweak out problems, and gives me plenty of time to unload some of my cars I want to sell before the Tesla comes.

Yeah, I didn't factor in Canada, Europe and other regions; word is that they'll start blending those in with US general production as per when the reservations were made. So, yes, 9+ months seems more appropriate.

The people reserving the car now is in my opinion the late early adopters. Following after people who have waited several years, but still way ahead of people who still want to see and testdrive before they buy.

Generally agree with your post, just wanted to point out that many simply haven't heard about the Model S yet in a way that would catch more than a glimpse of attention. So there are still many out there who would be, and who think like "early adaptors", they just didn't get a chance yet, so to speak.

US reservation data comes from this thread. For 'Total' Reservations the date is coming from MichiganModels "Gross Total" figure from this thread Model S Reservation Tally | Forums | Tesla Motors

model s reservations.PNG

US reservation data comes from this thread. For 'Total' Reservations the date is coming from MichiganModels "Gross Total" figure from this thread Model S Reservation Tally | Forums | Tesla Motors

View attachment 11716

Great chart thanks Discoducky. wow the reservation rate sure has spiked :) I would say it would slow down after all the recent positive press is out of the news but the ramp up in the number of cars being produced should keep acceleration reservations. Every day also makes Tesla seem a little bit more legitimate to the non believers. :) Good times ahead.

ZZZ...gross margin is before operating margin. Need those #s, which will be much less. Its truly NET INCOME.
Yeah, Tesla's earnings will be near zero or negative for some time. If they have a large gross profit and don't grow their operating expenses to consume that profit, they're doing something wrong. :)
but I agree that it's worth pointing out that P/E ratio refers to earnings after the operating expenses have been removed, not just gross profit.

View attachment 11716

Thank you for the reservation graph the work is much appreciated. One thing I noticed that might better reflect real world activity is that the data points probably shouldn't be individual points but rather a specific quantity over the entire period from the previous quoted number. For example (THESE ARE MADE UP NUMBERS FOR ILLUSTRATION ONLY), if we have a data point of 13000 reservations Nov 1 and 13210 reservations 7 days later, then the entire period from Nov 1 to nov 7 would be highlighted at 30 because that was the actual average number every day rather than one single point on Nov 7. Going further, if 7 days later we are at 13,480 then the entire period from Nov 7 to Nov 14 should be filled in at 40 cars per day. If instead you simply use the average number 40 and place it as a point on Nov 14 as you've done above then the area under the line from Nov 7 to nov 14 averages only 35 because you are assuming a linear progression by connecting the data points with a straight line and connecting 30 on Nov 7 and 40 on Nov 14 would yield an average of 35. That's why you actually need to have the entire area from Nov 7 to Nov 14 running at 40. I think that would be more accurate if you understand what i am saying.

Also, looking at the Total Production numbers from 10/23 - 11/5 they should average 46/day instead of 120 (again that would be 46 running as one specific number across 13 consecutive days rather than one data point of 46 on Nov 5).

Again, thank you for the work in putting together all this information

Reserved

Put in our reservation for my wifes car (our car!) about 36 hours ago. Reservation #14,189. Planning on 85kWh with Performance and pano roof and tech package. Music upgrade Package too. Those are the big features for now, and we'll finalize the details later.

Now starts the unfortunate wait where hopefully the extras we want wil still be available, and the pricing won't have jumped. Hopefully some of the small data add ons will be already in the upgrades when we see our car! It's awseomg to see a car that has the ability to be further improved upon like a smart phone. Also, hopefully any initial quirks will be solved. Everybit more of this car I see, the happier I am to egoing this route.

A friend of Jason C just tweeted that he reserved #14,246.

View attachment 11780

Assuming he placed his order last night (Tesla stores weren't open at 9:00am this morning), that means 65 US reservations on Monday!

- - - Updated - - -

Put in our reservation for my wifes car (our car!) about 36 hours ago. Reservation #14,189. Planning on 85kWh with Performance and pano roof and tech package. Music upgrade Package too. Those are the big features for now, and we'll finalize the details later.

Now starts the unfortunate wait where hopefully the extras we want wil still be available, and the pricing won't have jumped. Hopefully some of the small data add ons will be already in the upgrades when we see our car! It's awseomg to see a car that has the ability to be further improved upon like a smart phone. Also, hopefully any initial quirks will be solved. Everybit more of this car I see, the happier I am to egoing this route.

Welcome! Great choice, i don't think there is any indication right now of prices going up but probably some more options will be available by the time you get your car. There's rumors of a handling package for the performance cars.

new reservation

Hi all,

Just found an old incomplete model S signature reservation in my profile after i completed my model x reservation, and decided to try and complete it to see if it would work. Got two numbers: RN300923 and reservation sequence number 1,370. What do people think of its chances of going through?

TritonX

Hi all,

Just found an old incomplete model S signature reservation in my profile after i completed my model x reservation, and decided to try and complete it to see if it would work. Got two numbers: RN300923 and reservation sequence number 1,370. What do people think of its chances of going through?

TritonX
Hmm, fair to middlin'!!

Please update with results/feedback.