Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model Y has anyone received 2023 VIN yet?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Well we know Tesla is moving towards an exclusivly vision based system. We know that the cameras are different and therefore new. We know that Samsung and Tesla inked a massive camera deal this summer. We know that Tesla likes to deplete stocks of older parts before cutting over to new tech. Common sense tells me that it's highly unlikely that "different" in this scenario equates to worse.

What we know is whatever the new design of camera is Tesla doesn't feel it is required to run Vision parking on cars without USS. Otherwise they would never have shipped cars with the older camera design on non-USS cars but they did.

What we don't know is if these new cameras are 5MP or are they just a new supplier/design for the 1.4MP ones?
We also don't know if these new cameras will improve Vision based parking features for the cars that do have them and no-USS.

I really don't understand what the plan is with the camera situation. Vehicles that don't have USS should include the upgraded cameras.
100% agree!!! If Tesla is using Tesla vision only moving forward, then those camera needs to upgrade and all new vehicles should get HW4 with it or at least upgrade those camera for anyone who ordered Enhance AP or FSD

I really don't understand what the plan is with the camera situation. Vehicles that don't have USS should include the upgraded cameras.
Check out Andrej Karpathy (former head of TESLA AI) on the Lex Friedman Podcast. He says that the goal is not to get video that is too high-quality, as it creates more problems than is necessary. He gives the example of human eyesight that is not great at seeing things at a distance (relatively speaking). He said that the current cameras—even absent input from USS—are sufficient.

2022-11-20SU

First got my VIN around 12 days ago.
Took delivery on 11/12/2022.
Already put 400mi on it.
I love it!

2023 TESLA Model Y (LR/AWD)
- White.
- 20” Induction Wheels.

Ride quality in my new TESLA is excellent! I test drove a TESLA Model Y Performance in JUL2022 and found the suspension in that test car to be horrible.

Mine TESLA is an Austin build, and the build quality is excellent! No panel gap issues, but the rear hatch doesn’t line up exactly on both sides. The TESLA service advisor showed me how the rubber stoppers on the inside of the hatch (when in the OPEN position) can be adjusted by screwing them in and out. I have since adjusted the left rubber stopper, and I am happy with the final adjustment.

I had a few very minor paint blemishes that TESLA service has since resolved and gave me a loaner TESLA Model 3 while they worked on it.

There were a couple minor defects with the interior, which were resolved quickly before I drove away with my TESLA on my delivery day.

As a brand new TESLA owner, I am also not thrilled about the lack of range, as the “EPA Estimated Range” is obviously WAY off the mark—unless you are a grandma! I don’t drive like a grandma at all. My TESLA Model Y (LR/AWD) probably gets 240mi - 250mi of range on a full charge—not the 330mi of “EPA rated range”.

I bought the TESLA weather mats. Some people say they’re WAY over-priced. Whatever—I’m happy with mine. I also bought this accessory on Amazon that I think is a great accessory as well…

This is great post. Just got confirmed for an Austin 2023 LR.

I am curious about your range, 240-250 @ 100% seems very low. I may be wrong here but I believe your car needs to cycle through charges and the reading will get more accurate? Don't quote me on that.

Just got my VIN

Freemont
...and other than that, I have no idea what the specs are, and VIN decoders are no help. I mean, I do trust it is a left-hand drive, etc. :p

I have not been asked to sign a "no-USS agreement." Does this mean it is an older car that has been around for a month and a half?

EDIT: Born on Nov. 20th, says an SA that I just talked to. So that sounds hopeful for parcel shelf. And perhaps no USS.

Last edited:

I am curious about your range, 240-250 @ 100% seems very low. I may be wrong here but I believe your car needs to cycle through charges and the reading will get more accurate? Don't quote me on that.
NOTE: I am only estimating on that actual range based on how I drive. Also, my Model Y has never before been charged to 100%. I can’t remember what my highest charge level % is so far—maybe 58%? This is because my TESLA Wall Connector won’t be installed until next week. I’ve been rocking the TESLA Mobile Connector @ 12A so far. 😬

Reactions: Joe Schmoe88

Welcome to the Tesla EPA spec on range. Its rated at ideal conditions. Say 45-50mph continuous, outside temp 75-85 degs, no AC or Heat.

Now take your Tesla on a real world highway run. Go 80mph, run heat or A/C, have some headwinds, maybe some hills (not mountains). You will lose 25%-30% of that 330 spec (318 with 20" wheels). Hello Tesla marketing. Any Tesla owner that has done a 250 mile drive with these conditions learns what to expect.

On the other hand, Audi, VW, GM, and Ford rate on typical driving. The meet or exceed their range. A competitor car at 285 rated range will beat a Tesla with 330 range spec at 80mph and conditions I noted. Beat, I mean how far to zero battery. Often times a 260 rated range will beat it too.

Just picked up in Colorado today.. 2023 VIN.. ordered way back in February...

Build: Long Range, 19" Wheels, Midnight Silver Metallic, Black Interior, 7 Seater, Tow Package, Enhanced Auto Pilot

Quality: Great? Don't see any paint blemishes, odd panel gaps, all the seats seem to move just fine, drove it home for over 3 hours and it handled like a dream. Soo much quieter and smoother than my 2018 M3P.

Didn't get mud flaps and paint protection film like others seemed to be getting?.. came of Continental tires.

Just picked up in Colorado today.. 2023 VIN.. ordered way back in February...

Build: Long Range, 19" Wheels, Midnight Silver Metallic, Black Interior, 7 Seater, Tow Package, Enhanced Auto Pilot

Quality: Great? Don't see any paint blemishes, odd panel gaps, all the seats seem to move just fine, drove it home for over 3 hours and it handled like a dream. Soo much quieter and smoother than my 2018 M3P.

Didn't get mud flaps and paint protection film like others seemed to be getting?.. came of Continental tires.
Hmmmmm—that’s weird about the mud flaps and PPF patches ahead of the rear fender flares. Was yours an Austin build? Mine was, and I got both mud flaps (front wheels) and the PPF patches ahead of the rear fender flares. I, too, went with the tow package but did NOT go with the 7-seater, figuring the two rear seats are WAY too small for any practical use (based on extensive YouTube research). What are your thoughts on the two rear seats???? (Candidly, I don’t know why TESLA didn’t make the two rear seats in the Model Y rear-facing like the two rear seats in the Model S. The two rear passengers—possibly full-sized adults—could sit lower and more comfortably with increased headroom and with their legs and feet in the bottom portion of the rear trunk in a rear facing configuration.)

Hmmmmm—that’s weird about the mud flaps and PPF patches ahead of the rear fender flares. Was yours an Austin build? Mine was, and I got both mud flaps (front wheels) and the PPF patches ahead of the rear fender flares. I, too, went with the tow package but did NOT go with the 7-seater, figuring the two rear seats are WAY too small for any practical use (based on extensive YouTube research). What are your thoughts on the two rear seats???? (Candidly, I don’t know why TESLA didn’t make the two rear seats in the Model Y rear-facing like the two rear seats in the Model S. The two rear passengers—possibly full-sized adults—could sit lower and more comfortably with increased headroom and with their legs and feet in the bottom portion of the rear trunk in a rear facing configuration.)
Mine was Fremont 11/22 build. I have little kids and dogs so simply got it with them in mind. I'm 6' and managed to get back there, but definitely don't fit. Maybe someone 5'4" - 5-6" tops could squeeze back there?

I had a 2013 Model S P85+ with the rear facing seats in the trunk, and now I have the Model Y with the 3rd row.
My opinion from having both, I prefer the Y 3rd row overall versus the rear facing seats in the S.
The only benefit IMO with the S rear facing seats is it was probably a little easier to get in and out of. The kids originally liked riding in reverse in the trunk but it got old fast. They felt carsick after a little while due to traveling in reverse, there was hardly any air movement back there (even using no recirculating air), and it got hot with the sun beating down on you through the non-tinted glass. I ended up tinting the glass which helped a little but not enough.
The Y with the forward facing 3rd row is much better. They are traveling in the forward direction and also get more air. We also like to put the middle seat of the 2nd row down so the kids don’t have a “wall”barrier closing the 3rd row off from the rest of us.
I would estimate the 3rd row to work for 5’6” or smaller. With the adjustable 2nd row it adds more flexibility to find the sweet spot with enough legroom in both rows. Everyone in my family (including my wife) fits back there but me.

I also just sold my 2012 Chevy Suburban that I had for 6.5 years and you’d be surprised at the lack of legroom in that 3rd row.

Last edited: