Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

New Rear Brake Calipers For non-Performance Model S and X

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
How do you know that they aren't tracking the changes? Just because they aren't sharing them with you doesn't mean that they aren't tracking them. I saw someone that said they went to a service center to get a part and the counter guy said I have to have the VIN because there are like 13 revisions of that part. So I assume with the VIN they know exactly what part number fits.

Yes, sorry, I do assume they are using that method. However, they have also shown a history of using up the old stock before new. This is very common in the industry and invariably since the VIN numbers are not quite in sequential order, there are some unfortunate surprises.

If Tesla is the only parts supplier, that may work ok, but someday they will probably have enough Model Ss and Xs produced to receive support from the normal aftermarket channels. (Parts stores, etc)

None of this is insurmountable. But understand that these kinds of issues are WHY other OEMs use model years to coordinate changes. It might be manageable when tesla only had one model, and was in a process of near constant minor redesign to fix initial issues. But someday soon, they will adopt the normal practice because there are very valid reasons for it. This is just one example.

So does this change apply to replacement parts for older cars? That is, if an older non-performance car needs replacement calipers, does the new simpler version get installed? And I realize it is possible no one knows that yet...

My March 2017 X 90D (non performance) seems to have the original rear brake setup, with the separate parking brake caliper. Does this mean the change to the single caliper was limited to the S?

dual calipers.png

Reactions: DIL
New Model S and X are now being delivered with a different rear brake setup for non performance cars. (60/75/90kW cars) Performance trim cars retain the previous design.

Highlights
  • Single Piston rear brake caliper now replacing 4 piston rear caliper for non performance models
  • Integrated parking brake in the unit (no longer needs the smaller secondary caliper)
  • Braking performance and safety remains unchanged (rear brakes only account for a small fraction of overall braking force)
  • simpler overall design

Today I took a peek at our Model S 75D which was just dropped off at the SC yesterday. It now appears all new Model S and X cars that are not performance trim will be using the new unit. I will try and film a comparison when we take delivery of the car. I am curious to see if these new rear calipers are any quieter when engaging the parking brake than the previous design. (will try to get a better picture as well)

As a side note when shopping for aftermarket wheels: Because of the size of the new rear caliper, a number of aftermarket 19"&20" wheels will hit the caliper assembly and/or valve stem when trying to install the respective wheel.
midmount.jpg

• Helpful
Reactions: FlatSix911
Many thanks for these very informative posts! They just saved my from buying a set of red caliper covers that might not fit a 75D that I have on the way. Has anyone with a non-performance Tesla X purchased in 2017 tried to install caliper covers? If so, is there a brand that is known to be compatible with this new rear brake system? Painting/powdering them is going to require I leave the car at the shop for two days, and I'd really like to avoid the expense in time and additional cost. Thanks to all for the posts.

As a follow-up to my previous question, has anyone one (in addition to jgrgnt above) purchased a non-performance Model X this year and found the rear caliper system to be identical to the 2016 models?

Yes. Just checked our 2017 X90D and 2013 S P85, and (to my eye) both seem to have the same rear brake assembly, with separate parking brake.

Crappy iPhone garage pictures below (the 21' grey wheel is the P85).

IMG_5284 - Copy.JPG
IMG_5286 - Copy.JPG
IMG_5288 - Copy.JPG

• Informative
Reactions: GSP
Tesla giveth and Tesla taketh away...

A few days ago they increased the 0-60 time, giving a lot of 75D owners reason to cheer. Their cars' performance now matches yesterday's P85 and at a lower cost. What cost me $106,000 back in 2013 today costs $87,000, add back in a hypothetical air suspension that is no longer available on the 75D and you are at basically $90,000 for only 6 less miles of range than a 2013 P85. Add another $5,000 for EAP.

Reactions: FlatSix911
Has any more information surfaced on these new rear calipers? Are there any disassembly instructions? It looks like the “Tesla” cover (made to mimic a 4 piston caliper) may be able to be removed for painting ( rather than painting the cast bits).

Look forward to your reply!