Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

NRMA fast charging network

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I say give them a real reason and double the price of petrol overnight.
Regional NSW, BP, Ultimate (98) unleaded... filled up Thursday night at 247.9 per litre.

Strike. Me. Down. Thank God the Subaru "only" sips 7l/100km, but it's still rough when the commute is a 350km round trip...

My MY cannot arrive quickly enough.

Why do you use ultimate 98? I thought the fuel grade "myth" had been debunked many times and E10 (94 octane) will serve your engine just as fine as a higher grade, with no consumption (or appreciable) performance penalty in a non-racing tuned engine. Even the lowest grade here (91 octane) is still fine. I think it's only in the US that the lowest grade fuel is actually so bad (86 or 87 octane) that engines knock with incomplete combustion etc.

Plus, with E10 you can feel 10% less bad about your climate footprint. :)

Why do you use ultimate 98?
You're probably dead-right, I'm no expert in cars, and old habits die hard. The idea behind using it was to look after the car, as I imagined I would get 10-15 years out of it. 3 years ago, when I bought the Forester, there were few EV's around, and whilst I was aware of the technology, there wasn't an offering in Australia that suited my use case (which I will readily admit, is a bit non-usual).

How times have changed - thankfully!

Why do you use ultimate 98?
Slightly OT for this thread, but we use 98 for our hybrid. I did a fuel efficiency comparison about 15 years ago over thousands of km in a 6 cylinder engine. 98 was 10% more efficient than 91. E94 was 10% less efficient that 91. Factor this in the price of the fuel and 91 & 98 cost roughly the same, and E94 is terrible value.

The USA octane ratings are measured differently to Australian ratings, so you can’t directly compare the numbers. Their 87 is similar to our 91.

• Informative
Reactions: Sir Surfalot
Just had a poke around on Plugshare, and it seems like the only broken NRMA site (from the network they built themselves, not counting the sites inherited recently from Chargefox) is Albury, which is being decommissioned due to frequent vandalism. Even Sydney Olympic Park is working!

It seems to me like they've stepped up their maintenance game in the last couple of months, and the results are good. So, good work, NRMA!

Update from NRMA
- to begin charging at some sites from late September
- charging at all sites from late/end October
- will be building feature into MyNRMA app (boo!)

No pricing announced, other than it might vary between sites.

The most logical way of going about it would be to use Chargefox, given that NRMA and Chargefox have overlapping ownership.

I'm guessing they intend to use the app to cross promote their other services.
I'm dreaming that NRMA (and then RAA?) could just bake the Chargefox APIs into their app, so you could find stations, start/stop charging in the NRMA app - or the Chargefox app.

(a bit like how Evansa and Noodoe work - sites like the Whyalla Veterinary Clinic are in the Evansa app, but also in the wider Noodoe app...)

Reactions: cafz and RichardV
guessing they intend to use the app to cross promote their other services.
Albeit with the current SA network and future part Arena funded network, there will be many NRMA charging customers for whom NRMA can't sell roadside services.

Also no surprise that the new RTM75 at Olympic Park HQ only lasted a month before it's first outage.
(I'd hope this is of of the first sites to have a cost given over usage)

Reactions: Sir Surfalot
That NRMA Olympic Park charger was only really there as a technology demonstrator outside their head office. The point of their network wasn't to provide free charging for city commuters.

There's two Chargefox 120kW units at the DFO now anyway.
Exactly. I suspect use of that NRMA charger will drop considerably once not free. Its not exactly in the most convenient place unless living in the SOP Tower blocks.

DFO is 55c/kWh but a 120kW charger.

Arguably NRMA should be cheaper given it's a slower charger.

Last edited: