Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It's worth noting that I also have an older M3 with radar, but since I have FSD beta the car is no longer using it, so I've had the chance to see the exact same car with/without radar. And, I've seen almost no phantom braking with OR without radar .. certainly never the "slam on the brakes" others have reported. So it's not as simple as radar vs non-radar.

I can't speak to anything FSD related as I don't have it and I truly don't know what the difference is under the hood so to speak.

Here is a good post on Reddit about this.

Short video with some examples of what some of us are going through.

And for those of you incessantly quoting the manual about using TACC on 2 lane highways, or that it is still in Beta don't bother. If Tesla cannot reliably support TACC on 2 lane highways, then they should offer dumb cruise control. At least that way there would be an option for those of us that don't want to hold the pedal on a long drive on a 2 lane road.

But there is no way the Great Elon would deign to do such a thing, because FSD is finally coming in 2014, 2015, 2016, 2017, 2018, 2019, 2020, 2021, 2022 and it'll finally fix this!

Drove from Washington DC to Nashville today. Rain almost the whole way. In the Tennessee mountains it was a downpour with heavy traffic - a true nightmare! Except for the worst of the rain, NOA, AP, or TACC were active. Amazing that these were able to function as well as they do in rain, though there were instances when the car bailed out and turned control back to me. Nonetheless, NO phantom braking the entire trip. A few slowdowns due to tractor trailer rigs drifting toward my lane, but zero PB events.

Interstates the whole way, of course.

As bad as that drive was, it would have been much worse without the driving aids.

2021 M3LR, FSD 10.8.1.

Reactions: Yelobird
So far, in order to get “from nyc to la with no human intervention by 2019”, we have to find a route that has only 4 or more lane highways, no snow, and no heavy rain along the way.

Anything else? (Other than a time machine)

• Funny
Reactions: sckor
This vehicle badly needs a dumb cruise control. For the past 10+ years I always have used regular cruise control with zero issue to avoid tickets around town/county due to speed traps everywhere in the 25-55mph zones. This TACC system is dangerous how it SLAMS on the brakes on two lane roads when it sees oncoming traffic (not in my lane). Braced for impact today with our infant when the truck behind us came within inches of smashing into us as our MYP violently and immediately stopped with no warning. Even flooring the car I was still nearly hit since this car will go 40 to ZERO incredibly fast. I could see the smoke off the trucks tires in my mirror as he honked and waved his arms. A big diesel truck definitely can’t stop as fast as our MYP. This happens so fast and violently with the alarm screaming, you don’t even have time to react and accelerate before nearly getting hit from behind if you aren’t anticipating it. This system has to cause a LOT of Tesla’s to be rear ended. People blissfully unaware following us certainly aren’t prepared for a maximum performance violent stop in front of them for no reason, nowhere near a stop sign or traffic light. This is without autopilot, just trying to use the damn cruise control.

Last edited:
I have a Model X with FSD although I don't even use Autopilot normally because I'm not into my car driving like a drunk 10 year old. But I figured I'd give Autopilot a go for the first time in awhile yesterday on a straight road with no stop signs or stop lights.

Nope... still sucks. Wasn't just in my head either because, during the short (less than 5 mile) trip, the girlfriend asked me "what's wrong?" thinking I'm slowing down/doing something weird or we are getting pulled over by the police or something.

I read somewhere that your "Safety Score" isn't supposed to be affected when Autopilot is engaged, and can say that's definitely not correct. The last 10 days was a score of 100, then yesterday it was 95 because of "hard braking" (the day I decided to try Autopilot out again to see it still sucks), and that sure as hell wasn't me. It was the ghost in the machine being retarded.

I have a Model X with FSD although I don't even use Autopilot normally because I'm not into my car driving like a drunk 10 year old. But I figured I'd give Autopilot a go for the first time in awhile yesterday on a straight road with no stop signs or stop lights.

Nope... still sucks. Wasn't just in my head either because, during the short (less than 5 mile) trip, the girlfriend asked me "what's wrong?" thinking I'm slowing down/doing something weird or we are getting pulled over by the police or something.

I read somewhere that your "Safety Score" isn't supposed to be affected when Autopilot is engaged, and can say that's definitely not correct. The last 10 days was a score of 100, then yesterday it was 95 because of "hard braking" (the day I decided to try Autopilot out again to see it still sucks), and that sure as hell wasn't me. It was the ghost in the machine being retarded.
Normally we can’t say retarded but since you are referring to the car and not a slow person, its fine

The only advice I can give you is to try the following and see if it helps:

1) Wash your car - make sure the cameras are clean and dry
2) Drive to a nearby freeway (multilane preferably) during the day. Make sure the freeway is well marked.
3) Just before getting on the freeway (perhaps at a red light just before), put the car in Park, and go to Settings - Services. You'll find a button for Camera Calibration. Use that and Erase the calibration. Put the car back into Drive.
4) Drive onto the freeway and get into a middle lane - drive until calibrated - usually around 5-10 miles.
5) Exit the freeway and put back into Park. Go into Settings - Autopilot and re-enable any settings there - check NoA settings as well.

Now - try out Autopilot on the freeway and see if you notice an improvement in performance.

Normally we can’t say retarded but since you are referring to the car and not a slow person, its fine
There are/were "valid" uses of the R-word. As in "Symptoms of Retarded Ignition Timing"
Just as there are/were "valid" uses of the G-word, one of the F-words... and I'll just stop there.

It's probably best nowadays to just not even try to be cute. There are alternate words that aren't offensive, so long as we keep everyone informed. An older family member still thinks it's ok to call an untidy girl a sl** in reference to her bedroom, as I would be a slob I suppose. Can't seem to fix that one.

/wordrant

I can't speak to anything FSD related as I don't have it and I truly don't know what the difference is under the hood so to speak.
and as a customer, you should not have to know the intricasies between which version has one stack, which has another, which uses radar, which doesnt, etc.
As the customer, it should simply work in the manner that the CEO/company says its going to work.

For the past 10+ years I always have used regular cruise control with zero issue to avoid tickets around town/county due to speed traps everywhere in the 25-55mph zones.
Me, too! I think it is especially important in a Tesla where it is more difficult to tell your speed by ear.

Fortunately for me, as of software 2021.8.3, I am slowly beginning to trust autopilot and TACC. I'm now on 2022.16.2.

I often test it on a road through the woods, and it works even with shadows and larger vehicles coming the other way. However, the road is straight and not curvy, and I can believe TACC/AP would freak out on roads with hills and curves.

The system has its limitations even on straight roads. The software is slow to judge crossing traffic, traffic turning into the lane, and traffic slowing to turn right. Even with following distance set to 2 car lengths, it will brake too soon, or brake well after the car has departed your lane.

My sense is that in recent software releases, Tesla turned down the sensitivity to activity outside your lane, making the system much more reliable. But, yes, dumb cruise would give me some peace of mind.

Not really. Just the increased banter of a small group which most have never actually used the tech or owned it. But they seen it on the internet so they know everything.
And he may be learning...remember WEEKS ago when I mentioned how important it is to properly set expectations, as a leader? And I was lambasted with "thats not how it works in silicon valley. The way it works out here, is you tweet out impossible deadlines and blindside your own leadership to put pressure on them. And they wont quit when thats done, they only go on sabbaticals"

Well..perhaps Elon is finally learning the benefits of setting realistic expectations..maybe..

Last edited:
I was watching some videos on FSD and thinking about PBs on two lane undivided highways. I've got a question:

If the lane divider is a broken white stripe (allowing passing), what happens if you engage the left turn signal? Does it move over into the oncoming lane?

If so, I wonder if it thinks oncoming cars are traveling in the wrong lane and braking as if it were an emergency.

Or does it fail to change lanes because mapping tells it that's an oncoming lane?

I've not had a chance to test around my area, so I legitimately don't know.