Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Recommended Electricians for Charger Installation

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Sorry, forgot to answer the Wattage question.

Typically yes (although I found my stove was labelled incorrectly -- very rare and odd). I'm not sure what an inspector will officially ask for, but for standard appliances that use plugs (i.e. that can be changed), the maximum of the appliance rating or 80% of the circuit rating might be more appropriate. For hard-wired appliances (like A/C, hot water tanks), you can certainly use the rating of the unit as they cannot be "swapped" by the customer without due consideration. [I'm stretching a bit here in this paragraph as I don't know for sure.]

Most appliances will give a maximum current rating (e.g. 12 A) and an operating voltage (220-240V). Sometimes, there will be a peak current rating (typically for compressor startup) and a continuous load rating. For load calculations, you can probably get away with the continuous current rating (although the circuit wiring and breaker must be rated for the peak current).

You always need to use 240V for the load calculation (it says so in the code, section 8-100).

If you cannot find the rating of the appliance, then use the breaker rating (which will be slightly higher than most appliances), or if you want to, use 80% of the breaker rating, as that is officially the maximum load you are supposed to have on the circuit.

A reminder, I'm not a certified electrician or an expert -- just done lots of reading recently on this. And the inspector's interpretation of the code may vary (and their's is the only one that matters in the end).

Thank you so much once again!

Reactions: rdturner0
Realized I ignored OP's format requested, here we go:

Electrian/Company: STS Ltd.
Work Done: HPWC Install through finished basement into 40A breaker on 100A home service.
Results: Excellent!
Price Paid: $1100 + HST.
Had this inspected by the ESA today. Guy was in and out in 5 minutes. STS let me know I will be getting my certificate in a day or two. Very happy with the process overall. Money well spent.

Matt did the HPWC plus a couple of other challenging jobs for me. Professional, punctual, good communicator. I now have an 'electrical guy' I can count on.

Electrian/Company: MRB Electrical Services
Work Done: HPWC Install through finished basement into 60A breaker on 100A home service.
Price Paid: $1130 (including HST)

Matt did the HPWC plus a couple of other challenging jobs for me. Professional, punctual, good communicator. I now have an 'electrical guy' I can count on.

Electrian/Company: MRB Electrical Services
Work Done: HPWC Install through finished basement into 60A breaker on 100A home service.
Price Paid: $1130 (including HST)

You got 60A on a 100A panel?

Yes, gas stove/dryer/water heater. ESA passed it. Just to be sure I got Alectra to provide the last year's hourly meter data. Peak hourly load for the last year in my house was 6.5 kW (~27A) last summer and that was before I got the gas dryer in the fall. Also, just doing the load calculation using Douglas Helmer's on-line calculator (Canadian Residential Electrical Service Size Calculator) had me well under 100 A with the charger set to 48 A. Note Alectra does not have the hourly data available on-line; you must request it in writing (use their on-line form). They (and all Distributors) are obligated under Section 11.3 of the Retail Settlement Code to provide it as part of their OEB licence.

Yes, gas stove/dryer/water heater. ESA passed it. Just to be sure I got Alectra to provide the last year's hourly meter data. Peak hourly load for the last year in my house was 6.5 kW (~27A) last summer and that was before I got the gas dryer in the fall. Also, just doing the load calculation using Douglas Helmer's on-line calculator (Canadian Residential Electrical Service Size Calculator) had me well under 100 A with the charger set to 48 A. Note Alectra does not have the hourly data available on-line; you must request it in writing (use their on-line form). They (and all Distributors) are obligated under Section 11.3 of the Retail Settlement Code to provide it as part of their OEB licence.

Thanks for the tip

Electrian/Company: BracerEV
Work Done: HPWC Installation on a 60A breaker (from unfinished basement into the garage)
Results: EXCELLENT
Price Paid: $950 + HST

So I had my HPWC installed today ahead of my delivery date for my Model 3. I worked with Graham at BracerEV and could not be happier. Graham was very polite, professional and came with a great team of electricians. They did an absolutely clean install from my basement up into the garage. When I'm in the basement, I can't even tell they added anything at all. My HPWC is glowing green and sitting pretty on the wall in my garage.

The electrician (James and I believe his apprentice) were very personable, professional and cleaned up after themselves very well. It was a pleasure meeting all three of them. I would definitely recommend them. Tell them Tony from Caledon sent you if you call them for a quote. www.bracerev.com

Let me know if you have any questions, I will be glad to answer.

Reactions: McCaesar
Hi, I am new to this club; two questions:
- I placed the $1000 reservation fee online; is there a benefit to talk to the store Lawrence or Yorkdale?
- when is it the best time to install the charger, before car delivery or after?

Thank-you!

Electrician/Company: Gavin with JML Electric
Work Done: Ran approx 40 ft of Armoured BX cable from 200A panel with 60A breaker from basement, drilled hole through concrete block to garage and mounted and installed Wall Charger in garage, along with a disconnect next to the charger
Results: Excellent
Price Paid: $1198 + HST

I initially got 3 quotes (Solutions Electrical, JML Electric, Signature Electric) and then I got 2 additional quotes (STS Charging, Power Blitz). The quotes I receive ranged from $1350 to $2500 (taxes included). All quotes were based off detailed photos with measurements that I provided. Quotes also varied based on the materials used (some quoted BX, some quoted using NMD with vinyl conduit and some quoted using NMD and EMT (metal) conduit).

I selected JML as they were the least expensive. However, that wasn't the sole reason I chose them, as I seriously considered using another electrician who quoted using EMT. I read a lot of positive reviews of JML from the forum, as well I found JML to be the most responsive to my questions as I was in the selection process. I figure if a company isn't very responsive before taking my money, they won't be if I have problems after they take my money, so I always put value on companies who are responsive.

Gavin did an excellent job. He has installed many Tesla chargers so he knew what he was doing. He was also very collaborative as we walked through the installation, and ensured that he ran the conduit strategically in case I finished the basement later, as well gave me a recommendation of where to mount the charger in the garage, and I'm glad we put it where he suggested versus where I was initially thinking. I got my invoice from their office within a few minutes of paying.

While he was here I asked him for a quote for another job, and he gave me a price and said that he would be a more expensive than a local electrician as I am outside their normal service area (they are based out of Oakville). So it made me wonder if their quote had the additional travel built into the price, and it still was the lowest quote, thus are others taking advantage of the situation where many of us are looking to get chargers installed now, considering mine was a relatively simple job.

Question for those of you who have filled out the EVCIP rebate form. In Section D, item D2, Cost of Electrical Inspection, what amount should I fill out ? The invoice I got from JML does not have a line item for Electrical Inspection, but there is a line item for ESA Permit for $150. I found on the ESA site in the ESA inspection fee guide for EV chargers (section 4.4.4.), inspection fee is $74. What number should I put in D2 of the EVCIP form ($150 or $74 or something else) ?

edyee

Last edited:

Toronto Hydro charged us $25 for hourly usage data for 1 year.