Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

[Rumor]Tesla is reducing speed of Supercharging as your Tesla gets older

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have received a few more numbers from fellow 90D owners and asked around. Fact is I have yet to see a Tesla 90D owner with more than 40.000 miles on the odometer who can charge at the SuC with a peak above 100 kW (is somewhere between 115-120 kW when new). Please help me finding one to prove me wrong.

ODE90D, I think it would help if you can list your sources, as the information is too vague. If it were a court of law, the information would be tossed out as "hearsay" when quoting other people without them validating the info. Having sources would give more credibility to the info.

Example "Some Tesla employees have stated this is a sort of "punishment" for supercharging too often" from one of your postings, borders along the lines of a conspiracy theory. It's a bit difficult for me to think one or more Tesla employees would actually say that about their company or even have that level of knowledge about what is going on. Who are the "some employees?" And when Tesla told you... who specifically at Tesla told you and where are they?

If others are looking at the same things I see, then they wonder why does someone who signed up a year ago on the forum suddenly come in during the last 60 days and have all 13 of their postings be about suspicious behavior of Tesla? Was there nothing about the Tesla worth talking about for a whole year?

Then when I look at your spreadsheet, I see that practically all of the member IDs you list are not here on the forum. Two are there, yet I wonder if it is really their data.

Do you see why people are doubtful of the posting?

OP is simply asking for one piece of contradicting evidence to disprove his assertion that a 90D does not charge above 100 kw after 40 K. This seems completely reasonable to me. If don't agree, then prove him wrong.

The fanboys have spoken.

I always believe unofficial news from new members. Have you heard about the child sex trafficking ring working out of the pizza place near the Fremont plant...just awful!

This makes no sense. Zero. Sorry, just doesn't. Rate of charge is not the issue with maintaining battery life - but rather things like sitting at 100% for extended periods or zeroing out on a regular basis.

Did you talk to Tesla Engineering? Or someone at a local store?

I call BS on this one.

OP lacks the forum credibility to make such a significant claim.

Looks like I will have to post this twice today:

43487957.jpg

And I'm sure they will explain the below as well.

If you fast charge, Tesla will permanently throttle charging

https://teslamotorsclub.com/tmc/attachments/dcfc-ro-3-jpg.225738/

I was already *educated* in the thread. Hopefully it makes you feel better to call people names.

Personally, I avoid using words like 'troll' for instance, since it just lowers the conversation. I've noticed that calling people trolls or fanboys is usually just done to evoke an emotional response.

We have a 2013 with over 70k miles on it here at work and it has not experienced any throttling at all. I have not seen any throttling on my 2016 with 20k miles on it either. What I think is happening is that the resistance on the supercharger connector is increasing as it gets worn and/or dirty and that is triggering reduced output on specific units. From what I understand, Tesla does replace the plugs periodicity because of wear.

We have a 2013 with over 70k miles on it here at work and it has not experienced any throttling at all. I have not seen any throttling on my 2016 with 20k miles on it either. What I think is happening is that the resistance on the supercharger connector is increasing as it gets worn and/or dirty and that is triggering reduced output on specific units. From what I understand, Tesla does replace the plugs periodicity because of wear.

It was speculated in the other thread (If you fast charge, Tesla will permanently throttle charging) that just like the Ludicrous counters when they came up (Pack Performance and Launch Mode Limits), this might be related to change in behavior in later software versions. Old experiences might thus not automatically translate into relevant data points of current behavior (for example if incrementing of some counter only started later).

We shall see what is what...

Looks like I will have to post this twice today:

43487957.jpg

Looks like you were wrong @jelloslug. We shall see what the real story is (if multiple Tesla techs are wrong), but non-believing @ODE90D is no longer really an option IMO.

If you fast charge, Tesla will permanently throttle charging #385

OP lacks the forum credibility to make such a significant claim.

What has forum credibility got to do with this, @eye.surgeon? As it seems, many credible old-timers were terribly wrong about their reception to @ODE90D at the start of this thread. As they have been wrong many times on many things (Eds comes to mind).

Keep an open mind. A useful datapoint can come from anyone. We need time to verify it (we still need time to verify if the Tesla techs are wrong on this info), but a significant data point can just as easily come from a new user than it can from an old one. It is not unheard of for people to create an account when they have something to share. In fact, I am even more likely to believe a new account on new data, based on the history. Old-timers have a terrible track record with assessing rumors and controversial news.

Truer words have never been said as @strider. I would have thought more people would have learned by now:
This is how the launch mode counters thread started. The early pages were the usual suspects piling on that the OP was full of crap, shorting Tesla, etc etc. Turns out they were right and caught Tesla in a major cock up. Let's collect some data and see if the OPs claims bear out. Maybe they misunderstood their SC or maybe Tesla is playing games. Wouldn't be the first time...

Looks like you were wrong @jelloslug. We shall see what the real story is (if multiple Tesla techs are wrong), but non-believing @ODE90D is no longer really an option IMO.

If you fast charge, Tesla will permanently throttle charging #385

What has forum credibility got to do with this, @eye.surgeon? As it seems, many credible old-timers were terribly wrong about their reception to @ODE90D at the start of this thread. As they have been wrong many times on many things (Eds comes to mind).

Keep an open mind. A useful datapoint can come from anyone. We need time to verify it (we still need time to verify if the Tesla techs are wrong on this info), but a significant data point can just as easily come from a new user than it can from an old one. It is not unheard of for people to create an account when they have something to share. In fact, I am even more likely to believe a new account on new data, based on the history. Old-timers have a terrible track record with assessing rumors and controversial news.

Truer words have never been said as @strider. I would have thought more people would have learned by now:
Many people including myself have not seen anything like this at all.

Many people including myself have not seen anything like this at all.

I don't disbelieve you at all. But so far we have four people with 90 kWh batteries reporting this... It seems plausible that this affects some batteries only or includes counters/throttlers in later firmwares that do not take all history into account... Or CHAdeMO is a bigger issue than SpCs...

I don't disbelieve you at all. But so far we have four people with 90 kWh batteries reporting this... It seems plausible that this affects some batteries only or includes counters/throttlers in later firmwares that do not take all history into account... Or CHAdeMO is a bigger issue than SpCs...
Well, the issues may be limited to a specific battery or battery revision but not all versions of all batteries then.

That's a pretty noisy set of data there. My first conclusion from those four charges is that it's possible Tesla has reduced the peak charging rate, and they also appear to have increased the middle of SoC charging rate. It looks like more area under the curve, which would mean faster charging overall even with the loss of peak power.

I drew the same conclusion. I wonder if other people driving 90 kWh Teslas have similar data.

What's interesting is that it affects Chademo fast charges as well. The Tesla Chademo maxes out at 45 kW effectively. That's not very high. Being a suspicious kind of guy, I wonder if this fast charge degrade effect has anything to with Tesla moving from 80A dual chargers to a maximum 72A internal charger in newer cars?

That's a pretty noisy set of data there. My first conclusion from those four charges is that it's possible Tesla has reduced the peak charging rate, and they also appear to have increased the middle of SoC charging rate. It looks like more area under the curve, which would mean faster charging overall even with the loss of peak power.

I added some more. In three examples it is sustained at close to 80 kW for like 20 minutes.
Note that all these are the same time of day 5-6pm coming back from the same location so my starting SOC would be similar.
9TsYEQb.jpg

My battery pack *
* 1071941 is the 90 kWh pack from a Model X P90D(L) i.imgur.com/OuPifHO.jpg
_ 1063792 is a new 90 kWh pack
_ 1014114 is a new 85 kWh pack
OuPifHO.jpg

Last edited:
I have a 2015 Model S85, live in an apartment and commute at least 1 x 700km round trip a week on (the only) freeway in Australia with superchargers, consequently most of my charging is on superchargers. I've done just under 80,000km (50,000miles) and yesterday I was still charging at 100kWh, although only briefly at that rate
Do you plug in nightly on AC as well? One of the things that will be interesting is whether the threshold is just in "X DC charges", or "X DC charges per Yk miles", or "X DC charges in a row". It's not clear exactly how you exceed the threshold. Some details about how you charge may be helpful.

You have an 85kWh pack, though, which may be of less value. We have one owner stating Tesla informed them their pack was limited, but the remainder have all been 90kWh+ packs with the new chemistry.

• Helpful
Reactions: AnxietyRanger