Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Setec CCS to Tesla Adapter

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hmm, doesn't the instructions it comes with say to turn the green light on prior to plugging in the CCS to the Adapter - maybe that is why?
That could be. I went by what I remember from someone's earlier post that that is the order in which they got the charging to commence. Sorry for being lazy to search for that. I'll try to test out various scenarios but I'm hardly driving the car these days and don't need to really charge it much.

Reactions: jmbloom_m3p
I don't know how correct or useful they are, but the sequence of actions were given in this thread in a comment on page 8:

1. Make sure the adapter is charged (use the micro USB port underneath the adapter to charge it overnight)
  2. Turn the adapter on
  3. Plug in CCS1 plug to adapter
  4. Plug in adapter to Tesla and then press the power button on the adapter once
  5. Authorize charging on CCS1 DC fast charger via app or credit card
  6. Charging should begin

• Helpful
Reactions: pilotSteve
I don't know how correct or useful they are, but the sequence of actions were given in this thread in a comment on page 8:

1. Make sure the adapter is charged (use the micro USB port underneath the adapter to charge it overnight)
  2. Turn the adapter on
  3. Plug in CCS1 plug to adapter
  4. Plug in adapter to Tesla and then press the power button on the adapter once
  5. Authorize charging on CCS1 DC fast charger via app or credit card
  6. Charging should begin

I may have neglected to press the power button a second time after initially turning it on and connecting it. I'll have to give it another go.

Any update on the Tesla CCS adapter they were offering in Korea? Will make this effort moot, but this may be the only thing motivating Tesla to offer theirs.

This is what I'd like to know! After reading a good chunk of this thread, I definitely have a greater sympathy for engineers trying to make sure an adapter works well enough to release. Had no idea these adapters had to take part in the handshaking process between car and charger.

This is what I'd like to know! After reading a good chunk of this thread, I definitely have a greater sympathy for engineers trying to make sure an adapter works well enough to release. Had no idea these adapters had to take part in the handshaking process between car and charger.

Well, depending on what kind of pins each system uses, theoretically the handshaking portion could just be programmed in to the car and the adapter just realign power AND data pins. Then it could do an actual high power DC charge.

I assume it's worse than that. The adapter has a difficult chore to do, unless the car speaks the charger's language. It must fake the protocol responses both ways, in the correct sequence with appropriate timing. This would be aggravated by the possibility that, for example, supercharging protocol is not publicly documented (I assume) so SETEC have to guess and fake it.

The other problem I imagine is that the Superchargers have to verify the identity of the charging auto and agree with the vehicle that it is authenticated, while a CCS does not have to do so, if the payment details are handled on the pedestal instead. More complications...

I attempted to use the adapter at a Harley Davidson CCS charger.

Connected and both the charger and car said they were charging but the readout on both was 0kw. I tried twice for five minutes each time to see if it would ramp up but it just stayed at 0kw.

I didn’t have my laptop with me to pull a data log but I can try again tomorrow.

Caliente Harley-Davidson
7230 Northwest Loop 410, San Antonio, TX
Setec CCS v131
2020 Tesla MYP 2020.48.35.5
SOC 59%
Battery temp 72DegF
Ambient temp 46DegF
Used charge point app.

• Informative
Reactions: KJD
So I’m on v 140 firmware as of today.

got the following chargers to work on v140

Signet v1 Electrify America
Efacec qc45 charger
ABB electrify America
Harley Davidson ChargePoint Adapter.

Still peaked at 50KW on 2019 LR M3 AWD.

I’m locking on this version until they can get the speeds up or spoof the Supercharge protocol.

I’ll send them an email to get v140. That is, unless you can share it?

I assume it's worse than that. The adapter has a difficult chore to do, unless the car speaks the charger's language. It must fake the protocol responses both ways, in the correct sequence with appropriate timing. This would be aggravated by the possibility that, for example, supercharging protocol is not publicly documented (I assume) so SETEC have to guess and fake it.

The other problem I imagine is that the Superchargers have to verify the identity of the charging auto and agree with the vehicle that it is authenticated, while a CCS does not have to do so, if the payment details are handled on the pedestal instead. More complications...

The adapter appears to present itself to the car as a
I would just ask SETEC for the v140. They are making tweaks all the time. Yes 50KW is ok, but if I can get the full 80kw without damaging the battery, I’m all for it.

There would be no mechanism for ensuring you could get a higher charging rate without damaging the battery. You are, in effect, bypassing the car’s control of the process, including bypassing throttling for cold battery temperatures. Charging too quickly when cold and/or at too high a state of charge will result in permanent damage to the battery cells.

So I’m on v 140 firmware as of today.

got the following chargers to work on v140

Signet v1 Electrify America
Efacec qc45 charger
ABB electrify America
Harley Davidson ChargePoint Adapter.

Still peaked at 50KW on 2019 LR M3 AWD.

I’m locking on this version until they can get the speeds up or spoof the Supercharge protocol.
Just emailed asking for a copy. Thanks for the heads up.

Has anyone tried the Tesla 3rd party CCS adapter out of HK? Tried on EA 350kw and 150kw, but couldn't get either started. Seemed more painful to use than the CHAdeMO adapter.

Attachments

• 20210130_194058.jpg
    20210130_194058.jpg
    340.5 KB · Views: 95
I received v140 today as well, and the Harley Davidson charger is now working. However the charger would only produce 11kw. Plug share has it listed as a 24kw.

The car initially only posted 3-4kw and after the battery warmed up (7kw heater) the car and charger synced at 11kw input.

I pulled a data log to send to Setec. I’m curious if the slow charge is due to the charger, the adapter, or the car.

Reactions: KJD
I received v140 today as well, and the Harley Davidson charger is now working. However the charger would only produce 11kw. Plug share has it listed as a 24kw.

The car initially only posted 3-4kw and after the battery warmed up (7kw heater) the car and charger synced at 11kw input.

I pulled a data log to send to Setec. I’m curious if the slow charge is due to the charger, the adapter, or the car.

What the charger was providing may be limited either by what the car is requesting or may be limited by the electrical infrastructure. Also check the Plugshare comments for that site to see if other users experienced lower than normal charging.

My Harley-Davidson session on a H-D branded Chargepoint 24 kW charger (IES-Synergy WB Gen 2) showed 22.5 kW at the charger and 15 kW at the car with climate control off, so the car was delivered 22.5 kW and likely used the rest on battery heating.
This is on a 2018 Model 3 AWD.
24 kW CCS Harley.png

A later test session that day at a Volkswagon Chargepoint branded 24 kW charger (same nameplate, IES-Synergy WB Gen 2) was lower at 20.130 kW at the charger, 13 kW at the car, even though the temperature was a bit higher and the battery should have been warmed up more (SOC was also lower). But some Plugshare comments for that charger noted that other vehicles also reported slower than normal charging. (Note: dip in power graph was when I turned on the climate control)
24 kW CCS VW.png

Last edited:
No word on the cause AFAIK.

could be:
Early firmware on adapter?
Defective charger in test car?
Planetary alignment?

It seems that if most of the right things happen you’ll get a successful charge.
One thing can go wrong and you’ll just fail to charge.
If everything goes wrong you’ll smoke your car.

It’s Russian roulette, just with a large cylinder, you’ll probably be fine....

• Informative
Reactions: jsight