Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Should I buy HW3 now or wait for hw4?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It is more than that. Current Tesla cameras are low res. Will Tesla upgrade to higher res cameras to make viewing hand gestures and partially occluded objects easier? There is also technology for making depth perception easier called PDAF.
Google AI Blog: Learning to Predict Depth on the Pixel 3 Phones
Will some of Tesla cameras upgrade to that? When will vehicle to vehicle communication be common?
That's all speculation though.
The only change V3 brings is the computer.

I missed it earlier, but apparently there is an AP4 with a tiny bit of information out there...

It wasn't in the summaries or the sections of the event I saw until today, but Elon did make a couple of mentions of the next generation system they're working on in response to questions at the Autonomy event yesterday.

They're "about halfway through development" and "expecting to introduce it in two years" and it'll be "three times better" and "do the obvious things you'd expect them to improve"

(the last was in answer to a question about why they're using an older 40 nm die setup - the rest of the answer apparently being that some of the other parts of the chip they licensed weren't available in a smaller size at the time of development - so presumably it'll be on a much smaller chip.)

The answers to other questions suggest Tesla is quite confident that they won't need any more or different sensors, so I'd expect that if there's a reason to retrofit it won't be hard.

I would not be surprised if they end up deciding to get high resolution, color gamut or frame rate cameras, but given the rapidly increasing size of the fleet and the desire to have them all autonomous, i wouldn't be surprised if they design them to be retrofit into the existing camera locations (with a possible upgrade fee).

Reactions: Saghost
Current Tesla cameras are low res

Not so much, the AP 2.x computers can't process the existing frames at full resolution so the Camera already in the cars will be used at higher resolution just by putting the HW3 computer in. No need to put better cameras in.

Said another way the cameras in the cars are too high resolution for the AP 2.x computers and are likely just right for HW3 computer.

Reactions: Dinoraptor101
Based on the article and when it believes HW4 will make it to cars, the title of this thread should read, "Should I buy HW3 now or wait until 2022?"

If you want to wait 2 years, I suppose, yeah, wait. I'm sure there will be the added benefit of other improvements as well, apart from just the faster chip in HW4.

DanCar -Waiting for the next hardware version full self-driving computer (FSD) is really a matter of choice. If you have the money now and the need to use FSD on a regular basis I would say yes. I would think that anyone who has purchased FSD could get the upgrade in time, but whether it is free or not is only speculation. At the time of the Autonomy Day presentation in April 2019 Elon Musk said they are about halfway through the design of the next generation full self-driving (FSD) computer.

You did see the presentation on Tesla's own depth perception using current sensors right?

I do find it interesting that MobileEye were really fighting Tesla even when the two were working together at the time.
I believe Mobileye's concern was around two items. One, they did not like implementations that risked user safety, and they claim their system was not designed or intended to be used in an autopilot-like system. For them, a part of the concern came to fruition when a Tesla Model S drove under the trailer of a semi - no matter the cause, it brought risk to their brand image among the big OEMs that use their chips. Two, they did not want Tesla reverse engineering it, and it's much harder to prove if that was going on as Tesla made plans to produce their own autopilot system.

Generally, I trust Mobileye and believe they have a good long term vision. This is not to knock Tesla in any way, because they've made an excellent system.

Going to sound stupid... picking mine up Wednesday what is HW3-5